Haulout fees...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Haylands

Vessel Name
Barefoot Lady
Vessel Make
1976 Hatteras 42LRC Mk1
Silly question time.....

I know it's a bit like asking how long is a piece of string but can I ask for ball park figures for hauling out a 50 foot boat and looking after it for 6 months, anywhere from southern Florida down the Bahamas and the Caribbean....

Thanks

Greetings,
Mr. H. Methinks you may have found something? Rhetorical question. No need to answer.

I know it's asking a lot but a ruftimate will do...!!!

If you're off the beaten path, I would guess you will start around $1,500. That would include haul, power wash, block, 6 months on the hard, and back in. Could probably spend $5,000 with out looking too hard.

Ted

Ted, thanks for that, just what I needed, looking forward to seeing yours back in the water...:dance::thumb:

Here is the place in Charleston, SC that I used 5 years ago when I bought the boat. Their rates are $8-$10 per foot of boat.

BUT...yards are all over the place for the "other" charges associated with haulouts....so the best you can do is call around for exactly what you want or post it and see what others have paid...but you will have to be pretty specific because of the variations in charging.

Rates

Thanks for that.... next silly question... what do I want then??? can you tell I'm new to all this...!!! personally I'd like to do everything that is needed on the boat myself so I take it I'd have to find a yard that will let owners work on their boats...??

Greetings,
Mr. H. As you may already suspect from the responses your going to have to do some research to find what "fits" for you. The only place I know of, and my information is dated and my memory is pretty well non existent, is Indiantown Marina - Home I have no idea if they allow you to work on your own boat and you are correct in that some yards will not allow DIY.
There is another facility on the same waterway system that IS a DIY and storage yard but the name escapes me at the moment. Mr. FF should know the area well.

Install Active Captain on your computer and then look at places that fit your needs to store your boat. Some considerations: near where you plant to cruise, access to transportation home, protection from hurricanes, etc. Then with Active Captain, look up the websites for yards in the areas you are interested. Some, but probably the minority, post rates for haulout and storage on their web sites, so call and ask.

Some particularly inexpensive yards can be found on the Okeechobee waterway between Stuart and Ft Myers.

David

Last edited:
Well it isn't exactly the caribbean, but rates around here range from a low of about $40 a foot to around $120 a foot. Those rates cover the following: Haul, pressure wash, block, storage charge for 6-8 months and relaunch. At the low end you get outside storage while the high end is for inside, but unheated storage. Anything else such as oil changes, system winterizing and covering an outside stored boat would be an add on.

Thanks for the help and advice chaps... I did hours of searching the other day and there are that many boat yards, and none of the 20-30 I found had any prices for anything, just needed a rough idea at this stage...:thumb::thumb:

Thanks again, won't be long till the next silly question I can think of....!!!:banghead::banghead:

Well it isn't exactly the caribbean, but rates around here range from a low of about $40 a foot to around $120 a foot. Those rates cover the following: Haul, pressure wash, block, storage charge for 6-8 months and relaunch. At the low end you get outside storage while the high end is for inside, but unheated storage. Anything else such as oil changes, system winterizing and covering an outside stored boat would be an add on.

Thanks, what area are you in please??

Indiantown Marina is still a good choice. A great deal will depend on what you have and need to do to it. There are some more remote yards that will likely be a little less expensive but may not have crane service or near by machine shop and fabrication facilities. Best to determine what services you may need before committing to a yard.

Ted

Cheers Ted

RT... I know, I'm on several other car forums and we think the same, I do know it starts to get a bit tiring when you see the same questions 20 times a week, and people ask questions without giving enough details... I really do appreciate everyone who takes the time to help... We've made the decision to do this, just need to know all the "in's and out's" now...:thumb::thumb:

Indiantown Marina is still a good choice. A great deal will depend on what you have and need to do to it. There are some more remote yards that will likely be a little less expensive but may not have crane service or near by machine shop and fabrication facilities. Best to determine what services you may need before committing to a yard.

Ted

They are good if you want to do your own work. I had a sketchy experience with their service manager a year or so ago, but I think he is gone now. I also had trouble trying to an get outside vendor (locksmith) allowed in the yard. The yard turned him away even though he was bonded, insured. The service folks were just generally a pain in the ass I thought.

Just FYI on all this. YMMV.

Healhustler (Larry) also has some info on these folks.

Really cool, retro, spot though. Pretty cheap haul out and storage rates IIRC.

Cheers Ted

RT... I know, I'm on several other car forums and we think the same, I do know it starts to get a bit tiring when you see the same questions 20 times a week, and people ask questions without giving enough details... I really do appreciate everyone who takes the time to help... We've made the decision to do this, just need to know all the "in's and out's" now...:thumb::thumb:

We have all been there. Hell, I'm still there on most stuff. Ask away!

Cracker Boy has two DIY facilities. LMC allows DIY. Understand that there are charges in many centers above the haulout charges. Here's a link to LMC's rate sheet. Marine Fort Lauderdale

I'm sure Indiantown and Cracker Boy are much cheaper.

Here's a link to Jarrett Bay's rates:

Rates & Policies | Jarrett Bay Boatworks

You might note that while they allow DIY, they do charge $2 per foot per day for laydays for it. $2.50 if you live aboard.

Better pricing generally in the Stuart, Ft. Pierce areas.

A 1/4 mile away is River Forest , who will haul and store on land , and if you have big bucks in a climate controlled building.

It is NOT a DIY yard .

Sail cruisers and less wealthy motor folks come and store afloat in my neighborhood which is a great Hurricane Hole .

Near either coast few storage yards are the required 15-18ft above sea level for a CAT 5 slammer.

PM if interested and I will see if the neighbors have room.

Many folks feel you have to get south as far as T-dad to be safe in the Carib.

River Forest Yachting Center.

www.riverforestyc.com/

River Forest Yachting Centers provide Florida's discriminating boat owners with luxurious, secure, long-term boat storage. ... River Forest Yachting Centers' Hurricane Club was created to offer boat owners safe ... Moore Haven, FL 33471

Last edited:
Sail cruisers and less wealthy motor folks come and store afloat in my neighborhood which is a great Hurricane Hole .

Near either coast few storage yards are the required 15-18ft above sea level for a CAT 5 slammer.

You might want to do some research on the Great Miami Hurricane of 1926 and the 1928 Okeechobee Hurricane. It might be a great hurricane hole for coastal storms but these storms can come across the state with a fury. Both those storms pretty much destroyed Moore Haven and several cities inland from the coast. There are no sure bets anywhere in South Florida.

You might want to do some research on the Great Miami Hurricane of 1926 and the 1928 Okeechobee Hurricane. It might be a great hurricane hole for coastal storms but these storms can come across the state with a fury. Both those storms pretty much destroyed Moore Haven and several cities inland from the coast. There are no sure bets anywhere in South Florida.

I don't know how certain areas became billed as hurricane holes and others as having huge danger. It's often not based on history or based on current established flood zones. I had an acquaintance who when we moved to Fort Lauderdale was so concerned and said "aren't you terrified of hurricanes down there?" The part of it that I found so odd was he'd just lost his boat, cars, and had tremendous damage from Sandy.

Every one so concerned saying you can't get insurance when there are more boats insured in Florida than the next four states north combined.

Now, I'd educate myself about the history of an area, but I'm not sure I'm going to get too scared based on something from 1928.

I thought Columbia, SC was fairly safe until this year, and it wasn't even a hurricane causing the damage. As to haulout for hurricane protection, if it's not set up right, it's no more protected, and perhaps less, than a good floating dock. Two facilities I would say have excellent hurricane haul out arrangements. Bennett in Wilmington and Jarrett in Beaufort.

As to the OP, I don't see where he's expressed hurricane concern as his reason for haulout anyway. He seems focused on price and the ability to DIY.

Oh, and we're on the ICW (Well canal just off) and upon review they reduced the official flood risk status of our area. Seems 6' is the most experienced in the 100 year frame.

Thanks for that.... next silly question... what do I want then??? can you tell I'm new to all this...!!! personally I'd like to do everything that is needed on the boat myself so I take it I'd have to find a yard that will let owners work on their boats...??

Fleshing this out a bit...

A typical annual haul out might include the haul itself, powerwashing, scraping any remaining barnacles (common), bottom painting, wash and wax the hull topsides while it's "easy" to get to... and eventually relaunching (which can include return from the storage yard).

And then usually some underwater hardware inspection (shafts, rudders, thru-hulls, transducers, new zinc anodes if necessary...

(Perhaps occasional repairs to or replacements of things like cutless bearings, rudder bearings, rudder or shaft seals -- but that's all less common, at least for annuals.)

Storage would include movement to the storage yard, blocking the keel and setting jackstands strategically under the hull...

AND...

You might want to watch a little of that in action first before you dive in with the whole DIY approach on a 50' boat. Its an easy way to discover you've got tennis elbow, carpel tunnel syndrome, etc etc etc...

IOW, depending on your stage of life, writing a check is often much less painful.

OK, you can ask me how I know that... :)

-Chris

Thanks chaps, was just asking for ball park figures as I had no idea at all what it cost... got some useful info there, actually not as expensive as I thought but more than I hoped....:thumb::thumb:

Thanks chaps, was just asking for ball park figures as I had no idea at all what it cost... got some useful info there, actually not as expensive as I thought but more than I hoped....:thumb::thumb:

Just keep in mind there are many add-on's. Make sure you have a clear understanding up front. I've known people to be shocked even though the charges were clearly spelled out in the agreement.

Tdunn, Thanks:thumb:

BandB Thanks for the tip, I'll read the small print....:thumb:

"Both those storms pretty much destroyed Moore Haven and several cities inland from the coast. There are no sure bets anywhere in South Florida."

All the resturants in Moore Haven and La Belle have the photos of the water.

About 2-4 ft of water does great harm to homes and shops.

In our canals the boats would simply float higher.

Most long time folks tie most of the vessel to "pins" set in the ground , a pin is an 8 inch pile sunk 5 ft in with a foot or so sticking up to tie to, usually 20-30 ft from the water edge..

This transfers most of the wind load from the dock.

River Forest has the same advantage , plus "hurricane rated" buildings , so one can leave the oxygen tent up.

There are no "sure bets" anywhere ,

but some anywheres are a better bet than others.

Back
Top Bottom