Advice on installing dock box

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike_nickens1

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Godspeed
Vessel Make
36" Marine Trader Sundeck
I have a 5' x18" x18" dock box I need to install on my forward deck. I'd like to avoid drilling holes through the deck.

I was thinking of using wood blocks, either epoxied or using 5200 to attach them to the deck, then bolting the dock box to the blocks.

Could this work? Your comments appreciated!

Attaching blocks with epoxy should work fine (I don't know as I would use 5200 for this). We did the same to install an AC unit under the vberth of our last boat. Just keep in mind that unless the blocks are teak, you may want to encapsulate/paint them with neat epoxy first to prevent rot, then cover with a coat of paint to protect the epoxy from UV and to make it look good.

I think you need to bolt the box to the deck unless the boat never leaves the slip. The epoxy, 5200 or any adhesive doesn't have the shear strength that you'll want or need on a pitching deck. Plus using adhesives can tear/lift the deck finish if you ever want to remove the box. I'd use the blocks, with butyl tape or similar and thru bolt the box. Hobo's had one mounted for over 20 years with no leaks.

I think you need to bolt the box to the deck unless the boat never leaves the slip. The epoxy, 5200 or any adhesive doesn't have the shear strength that you'll want or need on a pitching deck. Plus using adhesives can tear/lift the deck finish if you ever want to remove the box. I'd use the blocks, with butyl tape or similar and thru bolt the box. Hobo's had one mounted for over 20 years with no leaks.

My sentiments also. Even if the epoxy bond to deck is of high integrity I would not trust that the shear strength of the wood would be up to the task of retaining the box you describe loaded with gear in foul weather. The effort to properly through bolt it and seal the penetration is well worth the extra effort IMO.

As Larry said, bolting to the deck is what should be done. I have one. It has been there since the boat was built, as far as I can tell. It is lag bolted to the deck. I have not had any water intrusion nor shifting of the box. Build date is 1980.

Weight and movement are critical.

If just for dock lines and light weight gear...epoxying can be done...but you need to grind through the gel coat and possibly a matt layer if not in good shape to get to structural glass. Otherwise the top layer of gel or gel and matt may just pull off.

If the box is tall and thin and may have heavier objects in it....through bolt some chocks down...then lag or bolt into the chocks.

I would glue it with Epoxy on a solid GRP deck.

I would use bolts and 5200 for any "composite" deck.

Back
Top Bottom