lazarette vent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DavMar

Vessel Name
Stella Maris
Vessel Make
CHB trawler
I have 37 foot C&L trawler. The aft lazarette is always damp. I wan to install 2 vents on the transom but am torn between clam shells or flush vents. Any ideas?

I have 37 foot C&L trawler. The aft lazarette is always damp. I wan to install 2 vents on the transom but am torn between clam shells or flush vents. Any ideas?

Inside or outside of the transom? Above or below the level of the deck?

Ted

We have two deck plates over our lazarette. Each one is mounted in a deck hatch. They have interchangeable inserts: a flat plate for when we're using the boat and low scoop vents for when the boat is in its slip. I painted the scoop vents high visibility yellow to remind us not to kick or step on them. I also stuffed hardware cloth inside each vent to keep mice/rats from entering the boat through them.

The starboard deck plate was there already to serve as the access hole for the emergency tiller. I simply added a second one in the port hatch. The deckplates and cowl inserts we used are made by Beckson. Photo is the deck fitting with the cowl insert installed. We used the higher vent.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
One of these ,on deck, to force air circulation , and what ever would look good and allow air flow in the transom.

Nicro 4" Day / Night Plus Solar Vent - 4" - Defender

Defender Page Not Found

$166.99 - ‎In stock
All Day/Night PLUS models come complete with two fan blades, white plastic interior trim ring, insect screen, mounting hardware and an easy-to-understand installation manual. High capacity NiMh battery on a full charge will operate the vent for up to 40 hours without sunlight to ..

In my C & L 44, the lazarette hatches fit tight. there is a 1.5" dia SS pipe thru hull exiting thru the transom about 1' below hatch height. Seems to work as no problems with moisture, unless I allow the hatch opening drains to overflow. Also works to pass a hose or electrical cord out without leaving the hatch up.

outside the transom, below the deck.

Dave
Hmm, I would be careful having holes below deck level in the transom in a following sea. If that's the only option, I would go with what Marin posted and replace the vents with the sealed covers when away from the dock.

Ted

Ted:
Unlike your boat, our C & L Taiwan built trawlers are unlikely to ever go where there is risk of a following sea that would pose any threat. Where I go I have never seen a sea greater than 6 ft. I carry a dinghy low on the transom, and have never had a sea come higher than wetting the propellor on the outboard. A 1.5" dia hole in the transom, 2 ft above the swimgrid, even in a following sea poses no risk whatsoever.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom