Exhaust Component ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KneeDeep

Vessel Name
Betsy Lee
Vessel Make
37 Atlantic Double Cabin
Inspecting our wet exhaust system the other day and could not figure out what this component is. Is it a muffler of some type? Connects to the other fiberglass pipes on each end with hose and clamps. Positioned about 3 feet before the exhaust outlet.

All looks good, not leaking - curious of what it is and if any maintenance required other than inspecting for leaks.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2059.jpg
    IMG_2059.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_2061.jpg
    IMG_2061.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 222
looks like a muffler....pretty sure it is...no maintenance other than maybe drain in wintertime if being laid up on the hard.

Looks like a vernatone muffler. May be another brand though, but it is definitely a muffler.

I would strongly urge you to hire a professional to inspect your wet exhaust system...

Thanks all- I'll look a little closer and see if I can find more specs to add to the info to my equipment list.

Interesting thought on an inspection. Going on two years with this boat and probably worth a couple hours of surveyor time to look at things I'm still learning about.

Wow, really? Just from that photo?

?

No, not from the photo, but from the fact that you obviously don't know what you're looking at.
I'm not trying to be harsh, but if you can't identify a muffler by sight, you do not have the knowledge you need to make an assessment of your exhaust system!

OK, here's some tips that may help you:
First, shoot the whole system with an IR thermometer, look for hotspots, and feel for soft spots that could mean delamination.
Check for leaks, or white powdery stuff where it has leaked
Check all the clamps for rust and proper fit.
Supports and hangers in good shape, not pinching or bending hoses
No low spots that would hold water.
Make sure the entire run slopes down towards to the transom.
Is the transom outlet above the waterline?

There is lots more, but without getting too technical, thats some basic stuff that you can do to verify that your system is OK.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom