Garcia 54 Highjack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Didn't read about it, but agree it's odd that there was never an update. Also didn't know it was 2013 European Powerboat of the year. Doesn't look like they did more trawlers though...

I actually contacted Garcia , I had a technical question about overall HT and the mast....They said they will build per order and would be happy to answer any other questions..I have mentioned nothing about the theft...YET.

BTW, if you get a chance look into this boat, very nicely done, there is also good documentation about its crossing from France to the USA which took about 28 days...The crew hit some rough weather , apart form some leaking windows which have been redesigned, the boat did great...

As far as the hijack, with the amount of money involved in the refugees trade, this is only a matter of time and there will be more of it. Yachts are relatively easy to steal, make a quick run with 50 or 100 people paying thousands, and run away. Zero investments (watch for the ones that get put to bed with full tanks) and very little chance to get caught.

I remember seeing the same with the drug trade coming up from the islands, until volume got to where containers were more efficient, and the CG got serious with individual vessels out there......

Did anyone read about this? It's a strange story, can't find any update...

Garcia 54 Trawler – Hijacked off Corsica – Williams and Smithells

Yes, I was aware initially. Once the boat wasn't located within 48-72 hours there was not believed to be a real chance of recovery of the boat. I don't believe you'll ever hear more regarding this as those involved have no desire to speak about it and those I know who do know them have respected their right to privacy on this matter.

Is there some type if transmitter one could hide on his boat that would continuously broadcast a signal that could be located in the even of a hijack?

I don't recall seeing one but that doesn't mean much.

Is there some type if transmitter one could hide on his boat that would continuously broadcast a signal that could be located in the even of a hijack?

I don't recall seeing one but that doesn't mean much.

You could certainly have various type devices. Now, I believe they did have AIS, but it takes 15 seconds to turn it off. The insurer floated two possibilities while attempting to find clues. One was it was turned into a human smuggling boat and the other was it was taken to a chop shop.

The local Maritime authority seemed like their primary concern was to make sure people did not call it piracy, but referred to it as a boat theft, no different than a theft of a luxury auto.

This was built as a personal boat for the owner of the company as Garcia is primarily a builder of sailboats. It was then for sale as he'd decided to build a larger boat for himself.

The wife was terribly traumatized and it is rather remarkable that after holding them for three hours the hijackers released them in lifeboats. The getaway couldn't be fast as it only made 8 knots, but there was considerable time before the owner and his wife floated to shore.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom