Washington State TF members

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom,"keep our US flagged vessel in BC."

It would seem to me if it was registered in the US * * ....what difference would it make where you kept it? They'd just send you a bill * * ..right?

Delfin,
Love your new avitar. Would look better if you'd edit out those bilge nipples though. In my boat search I looked at a Willard 36 pilothouse * * ..a bit like your boat.

nomadwilly wrote:

Delfin,
Love your new avitar. Would look better if you'd edit out those bilge nipples though. In my boat search I looked at a Willard 36 pilothouse * * ..a bit like your boat.
I lik them.
Sort of reminds me of those paper dolls.

Ir you cut it out you could fold tab*A into slot B and have a real fine pop up book for your seafaring memoirs.

SD

Eric

If USCG documented, where your boat resides trumps all. I had to remove my vessel from WA after purchase in 2006 or face not only the WA yearly tax but a sales tax of about 10%. I understand CA and Fl are similar?? There is no boat sales tax in Oregon which is why so many west coast crusiers "keep" their vessels there.

Plus, I enjoy being in Canada's PNW waters vs WA - more cruising choices and less populated.

nomadwilly wrote:

It would seem to me if it was registered in the US * * ....what difference would it make where you kept it? They'd just send you a bill * * ..right?
My understanding is that Washington State only taxes boats in located in Washington Additionallly, the big deal is not the yearly tax, it's the 9.8% tax on the value of the boat that is the real one to watch out for.* If you bring your boat to Washington, and are not extremely clear on the tax rules, your likely to get a rude surprise in the mail one day. In addition to the 9.8%, should they decide you were late in paying up, there is a potential 100% penalty possible too.** There is a move to change the rules, as the lost revenue to boat yards, marinas, chandlerys* etc is thought to be far greater than the tax received, but for a state with a massive budget deficit, it's a steep uphill battle.** I've become very versed in the rules, and can supply specifics if anyone is interested, but be very careful..........Arctic Traveller

You are only subject to the yearly license fee in Washington--- and I believe the 9.8 percent tax--- if your boat is kept in the state for more than six months of the year. The first two winters we had our boat, while we were waiting to get our own slip we sublet a slip in Squalicum from a fellow to took his deFever to Sidney for six months during the winter. He'd bring it back in the spring and take it back to Sidney in the fall.* He was an Oregon resident but I don't remember where his boat was actually registered.* I assume Oregon.

We know people in BC who do exactly the opposite. To avoid taxes they keep their boats in the Point Roberts marina. The boats are registered in Washington but the annual fee is apparently far less than what they'd have to pay in BC. The downside of this arrangement is if they venture into Canadian waters they are immediately subject to the taxes they are avoiding by keeping the boats in the US. So all these folks can only legally boat in US waters.

-- Edited by Marin on Monday 17th of January 2011 12:22:11 PM

Every year we have to provide to the marina proof of current Washington State tabs and insurance even if the boat does not leave the slip it still requires current tabs.* The Everett Police also walks the marina and patrol the SnohomishRiver to the buoy where the Coast Guard takes over, and the Sheriff patrols the upper ½.* *Its the same when we moored on LakeUnion the Seattle police patrolled the lake and the marinas.* So they are going to get you one way of the other.* You also have to buy taps for the dink if you use it other than between the boat and shore.* Since we take them up the river they have to have current tabs also.

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Monday 17th of January 2011 12:22:58 PM

skipperdude wrote:
nomadwilly wrote:

Delfin,
I lik them.

Sort of reminds me of those paper dolls.

Ir you cut it out you could fold tab*A into slot B and have a real fine pop up book for your seafaring memoirs.

SD

The next version will be scratch and sniff.

Scratch ans sniff??? Sounds interesting. Should I take some Airborne?

Frequently I'm so glad I live here. But sometimes I feel guilty w you guys pay'in all those taxes and me hardly any. But I feel less guilty when I see how people are going to so much trouble to avoid their taxes. I have avoided my share of taxes in the past on several occasions and feel guilty but "when in Rome". If most folks cheat on their taxes your'e just being a sucker by not doing the same and paying more to make up for the folks that aren't carrying the load but if only a few do it they are bad boys and girls in my book.
I sincerely hope there will be flat taxes in the future.

Eric

Trust me, I pay my fair share of taxes. I just did not want them to go to WA for the privilege of buying a boat there.

Tom,
Hope you wenen't offended.
I did something similar.

Marin wrote:

You are only subject to the yearly license fee in Washington--- and I believe the 9.8 percent tax--- if your boat is kept in the state for more than six months of the year.

True enough, BUT there are a couple Got Yas.* First, you can stay for six months IF you get a cruising permit. Cruising permits are for out of state residents only. If you live in Wa, you owe the tax the day you bring the boat into the state. If you don't live in the state, you can get a total of two permits for the six month period the boat is in the state, but if you are even one day late getting it,renewing it, or leaving the state, your liable for the tax.* In addition, if you own any property in the state, all bets are off as the state can consider you a "duel resident" of two states at once for tax purposes.* And by tax, I'm talking about the 9.8% due on the total value of the boat.** That can be a big OUCH................Arctic Traveller

Were getting closer to the boat show, and I'm looking forward to seeing some of you at our meet and greet.* Don't forget, it's Sunday the 23rd starting at 10am, aboard the 90ft Westport "Sentinel", located at the end of the dock, directly behind the harbormasters office on float 7.*

I'll provide refreshments, and as an added bonus I may have a pair of boat show tickets we will draw for.* See you there.....................Arctic Traveller

Jeff*- Is Dock 7*located at the floating*of the boat show site near Hooters?

Jeff, you might wnat to give directions for those from out of town.

Ya Phil, your correct about that.* We are meeting at Fishermans Terminal which is South and West of the Ballard bridge, and about half a mile inside the locks.* NOT at the boat show.* I'm bad at giving directions, so try Google maps, and look up 1900 West Nickerson Street which is actually Chinooks restaurant.* We are directly behind the restaurant.* If you find the Ballard Bridge, it's on the South end.* Looking West you will see Fishermans Terminal. Once you arrive, I can give you easy directions to the boat show, about 3 or 4 miles East. * Good luck.................Arctic Traveller

Jeff, float 7 is the first one east of the memorial statue, correct? The "directly behind the restaurant" bit might be a little confusing to some.

I was originally planning on spending the weekend on our boat which is just around the corner from you, and dropping by on Sunday morning.* But I now have a Saturday phone line repair appointment with Qwest and a Sunday pm job on the Eastside so I'm not sure if I will make it.* Pity...maybe some other time.

-- Edited by Tonic on Friday 21st of January 2011 03:18:49 AM

From the boat A float show, south end of Lake union take West Marine Drive which runs along Lake union on the West side.* West Marine View runs into West Nickerson until you get to 15 avenue which you cross to West Emerson.* If you Google Chinooks on SalmonBay.* Its about 3 miles from the Boat Afloat show.

If you need a ride email me and we can pick you up as our SUV is a 8 passenger.* We are coming straight from church*so we should be down in the area about 10:00.* ***

Tonic wrote:

Jeff, float 7 is the first one east of the memorial statue, correct? The "directly behind the restaurant" bit might be a little confusing to some.

Well, I guess it depends on where you are coming from, how DIRECTLY it is.*
biggrin.gif

If your coming from say, Portland then it's pretty much right behind the restaurant.* If your standing with your back to the restaurant, I guess it's a little bit to the right, but the floats are labeled, and it's not too hard to see, as it's the biggest boat on either float, it's just at the end. It's a bit hard to see from the head of the float, but the "For Sale" sign shows..................Arctic Traveller

Ok, It's official.* I will have Seattle Boat show tickets to give away.* I'm not sure how many, but at least a pair, so if you plan to go to both the "meet and greet" and the boat show, you might get lucky........................Arctic Traveller

At the boats a float show, there are a few boats that seem to tell the story about how soft the trawler market seems to be.

one notable:

2006 Krogen 39 - stabilized, fully outfitted, 800hrs - pretty much a new boat, fully outfitted.

The price? $439k. this is probably 1/2 the 2007 price.

Be sure and walk thru the custom steel boat just behind the booths in the tent - it is a grey color and around 48 feet or so. Built in Port Townsend and quite the vessel

enjoy

I too am at the show, I can't see where a 39 was ever worth twice the $439K. In 2006 I could have bought a two year old 39 for about$360K. I passed as it seemed overpriced. Maybe*some higher priced vessels are showing their real value - what the market will bear. Nordhavns are falling off too.

I want to thank Jeff and his wife for having the get together.* It was great to put faces with names, and to see some of the faces again.* If there are members in the Seattle area and what to get together let me know.**

Some body please report. Who came to the GT and what did yo'all do*** ...say*** ..everything. I really wanted to go but the weather was bad (it's good now but???) and the boat hunting went sour. Some body at least tell who showed up.

Since my post is just above the meeting picture I'll post names as best as I can. L to R.

1.*** Janet and Jeff (Artic Traveler)
2.*********************** in the dark blue shirt.
3.*** Phill Fill (58 Roughwater)
4.*** Rob Hays (Lady Anne)
5.*** Tom White (sunchaser)
6.*** xfedex (john Beatty) behind the post.
7.*** tonic (Richard Moore)
8.*** Jan White (far right)
9.*** Blond in the foreground is Phill Fill's wife.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Tuesday 25th of January 2011 12:37:42 PM

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Tuesday 25th of January 2011 12:50:49 PM

A good time was had by all.* It was short* (about 1.5hrs) and sweet* (lot's of sugary treats available). I was able to get enough boat show tickets, that everyone that wanted one got one too.

It was good to meet a few new folks, and put names to faces, and too see some old friends too.* Unfortunately, I have forgotten some of the names (screen names or otherwise), so perhaps folks can chime in and tell us how their day went.*

So, thanks for coming, we will have to do it again sometime.............Arctic Traveller

Attachments

• p1010056.jpg
    p1010056.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 76
Totally unaware that a photo is being taken, Tonic fails to suck in his gut. Diet starts today!

Tonic wrote:

Totally unaware that a photo is being taken, Tonic fails to suck in his gut. Diet starts today!
Face forward, no problem.

Thanks Capt. Jeff. By the way the tallest guy in the pic is "Rob Hays/ M/V Lady Anne"

I was the mystery guy behind the post on the left. I did enjoy talking face to face with all yall.

Thanks Jeff and Janet for your hospitality , John

Jeff* Thanks to you again. Jan and I enjoyed the get together

OK guys will sombody please document left to right or right to left this is Joe Dokes, next w the purple pants is Kelly Bluberg and so on. Please?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom