View Single Post
Old 11-23-2015, 01:12 PM   #78
N4061
Guru

Machinery

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemier View Post
Hi John & Marie,
Just found this post for the first time,,, (we've been kinda hanging low for the past few weeks after Harley's passing). -- anyway, CONGRATULATIONS! Finally pulled the trigger eh? Well done,,, some wonderful & exciting times ahead for the both of you!

Is this the main thread for your newbuild?
What machinery do have you specc'ed for the man cave? (I understand you want a simpler boat this time)
Andy, great to hear you found us. Yes, this will be the thread for the new boat until we figure out how to build a web-site. Amazing the issues I'm having (I need a little kid around the house who can tackle this for me).

Regarding the machinery we decided to go with Cummons diesel since many current owners have reported positive feedback. I tested two boats with the larger 380hp (same engine we optioned for instead of the standard 250hp) and I felt it was a good match. I really like the digital display with all the information. I noticed that PAE is also going with Cummons on their new 59 Coastal Pilot as well as other well known builders.

Since we are trying something different this time around and looking for a simpler boat we decided to hold off on the Northern Lights generator until we move the boat to the east coast in five years. We found in southern California we just never used the generators enough to keep them in good running condition. The new boat will be plumbed and wired for the future. We did select two reverse cycle A/C & heaters for occasional use while at the docks. We decided to hold off on stabilizers and plan to use hull design and speed to compensate as much as possible while watching the weather forecasts a little closer. This approach worked well for five years with our 22' Mako Center Console (we were a little younger then) and hope it holds true this time around. We took a hard look the SeaKeeper Gyro system but struggling to get my head around the concept, time for system to come on line (45 minutes) need to run the generator (possible to run off the inverter but would have limited run time using batteries thus you really need the generator running full time) and the space required in the engine room. If we really thought we needed stabilization we would lean towards Trac Active Fins but this boat is a little small (my opinion).

I'm working with Alcom Marine in Costa Mesa, CA on the electronics package and will likely go with the proven Furuno System,Simrad AP and Satellite TV.

It is a struggle (but fun) to build a simpler boat while still demanding the best and playing the balancing game of comfort versus system complexity versus safety. I spent a lot of time comparing N4050 (a relatively basic equipped Nordhavn) against N4061 (fully loaded) and concluded we didn't need or use many items on N4061 but we still paid for and needed to maintain them. Time will tell how this all will work out but so far we are very pleased and confident with our decision process.

When do you cast off for New Zealand?

John
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote