PMs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've always used Notepad if I need compose offline. No formatting to worry about.

Problems copy/pasting from Word may also have to do with which web browser you're using. If you're using IE or the new Edge in Windows 10. that may be a major part of the problem. I've never liked IE..have used Firefox since the days when it was Netscape...never have problem copying Word docs into any a forum posts or PMs anywhere.

And btw, Firefox just introduced a new tablet app for both iOS and Android that--so far--seems to about 90% the same as using it on a PC or Mac computer. I really like it...so far. Download from itunes or wherever Android apps come from.

I've never liked IE..have used Firefox since the days when it was Netscape....

IE is evil. No question about that.

If you have a 64-bit OS, then Waterfox is better than Firefox (faster).

I remember when I was a teen, the browser war between IE and Netscape. A lot of people saying IE didn't stand a chance. Netscape had nearly 90% of the market. But Microsoft bundled and that started the demise of Netscape, which ultimately became Mozilla which led to Firefox. The current statistics including tablets and phones indicates (and everybody has different numbers) Chrome has just over 50% of the market and IE and Firefox are in a virtual tie around 16% each.

We run into instances periodically where whichever browser we're using won't show a website properly and we have to switch browsers. I can't grasp why any web programmer wouldn't test in those three plus Safari.

We run into instances periodically where whichever browser we're using won't show a website properly and we have to switch browsers. I can't grasp why any web programmer wouldn't test in those three plus Safari.

I use three browsers also. Waterfox (main one), Chrome (next), and Safari. Sometimes, for reasons which are completely inexplicable, one will not work properly, and then I switch to another one. Strange.

My theory on why IE is so bad is that Microsoft adopted the old (and discredited) IBM approach of having thousands of programmers each write a few lines of code, and then trying to integrate all those into a comprehensive, working whole. Didn't work for IBM, and doesn't work for Microsoft. IMO, of course.

IE is evil. No question about that.

If you have a 64-bit OS, then Waterfox is better than Firefox (faster).

Hadn't heard of that one, so checked it out. Mixed reviews because not all plug-ins and HD management software work with it...no mention at all of Waterfox with Win 10. So I think I'll stick with the orignal for now...it's worked just fine for me for a couple of decades.

So I think I'll stick with the original for now...it's worked just fine for me for a couple of decades.

"If it ain't broke, then don't fix it." :) Hard to argue with that.

There is no "safe" browser. If you are not educated is keeping your system "safe" you are infected.

I make a pretty good bunch of boat bucks, cleaning, folks computers from the baddies...some pretty smart folks too......:thumb:

There is no "safe" browser. If you are not educated is keeping your system "safe" you are infected.

I make a pretty good bunch of boat bucks, cleaning, folks computers from the baddies...some pretty smart folks too......:thumb:

You can take that further. No safe browser, no safe way to live without risk of compromise, identity theft, or other scams. I know there were always some who would take advantage of others in these ways. I guess the difference is that today they can do it in mass, not one person at a time. But to your comment there are people and companies with far more resources to use on security than any of us have that have been terribly compromised.

After years of Fn' around with expensive U.S. know it all's ($75 to $150 per hr)... most a big BS PIA who boasted about all they knew and all they could do:

Couple years ago I subscribed to AT&T Connect Tech. Cost $15 mo added onto my land line office phone bill. Three levels exist. First two are OK but not great. Level three has some really up-town computer techs. Far as I can tell they are all in India. When I call direct to level three... I simply give them remote access and usually in less than an hour they have whatever problem it may be solved

One time I had a severe "Master Boot Virus" in a Lenovo lab top. Although it took them hours, Connect Tech workers collaborated and they eventually eradicated the virus. No on else I took the problem to had been anywhere near successful.

Hadn't heard of that one, so checked it out. Mixed reviews because not all plug-ins and HD management software work with it...no mention at all of Waterfox with Win 10. So I think I'll stick with the orignal for now...it's worked just fine for me for a couple of decades.

Hi Peg - I've been hesitant to upload Widows 10... it skeep getting offered on screen; still running on Windows Professional 7. You upload 10 yourself and have any bad things to report regarding 10? How long you been using it? Also, I really like Outlook 2013 for multi level biz email. Do you know if 10 and Outlook are compatible?

I've heard no pro or con regarding 10. Any input you may share is greatly appreciated! :thumb:

Last edited:
I upgraded to 10 about 3 months ago...it's a no-brainer...it self installs, doesn't touch any of your files. I did have to run updates to several programs including Carbonite, and also to some plug-ins, but those went smooth as silk too. I like Win 10...there's a little bit of learning curve...programs aren't programs any more, everything is a "app" now. The only real issue I've had with it has been the firewall in my Bitdefender Total Security Suite...since upgrading to 10, it absolutely refuses to allow Gmail or my Google calendar or any other Google function except search to load even though they're on the whitelist. I've spent quite a bit of time on the phone with Bitdefender's tech support about it...no joy yet.

I've never used Outlook or Outlook Express, but since both Outlook and Windows 10 are both MS products, I'd say it's a pretty good bet that they're compatible.

Reactions: Art
Art said:
I've been hesitant to upload Widows 10... it skeep getting offered on screen; still running on Windows Professional 7. Do you know if 10 and Outlook are compatible?
Art;
10 is backwards compatible with all outlooks to 2007, provided they have the latest service packs. I'm running Office 2007 with 10 and it is fine.

If you don't want to see the continuous prompts to install 10 just "hide" the update. The GWX (get windows 10) will still be there when you want it.

I have been struggling with the 10 upgrade. Not because I'm hearing nasty things about it; I just don't know how much I want it.

I have always liked W 7 and the little I had to do with W 8 turned me right off, like so many others. So, when I got a new Zenbook this spring and it came with W 8.1, I wasn't looking forward to it. In fact I contemplated jumping to 10 without giving 8.1 a chance, but quickly came to like 8.1 because it was so much like 7.

I don't do anything complicated so don't really need the latest and can wait for others to deal with the start-up issues.

The problem I have is, 7 is good until 2020, 8.1 until 2023 and 10 only 2 years longer to 2025 so I may just keep 8.1 on my Zenbook.

I have an old, old laptop that I upgraded from 7 to 10 but it is such a slug of a machine I can hardly get 10 to a usable point.

That leaves me with a decent desk top with 7 that I will soon stick 10 on to see how I like it. I was waiting for the latest (November) 10 upgrade and it is now available. Then I can decide what to do with the small laptop.

The beauty of the free 10 is that you can install it, activate it and easily revert back to the previous OS. 10 will stay registered to that machine for reinstall at any time down the road.

10 seems like it is going to be smaller and faster but I don't like the way they hide things and don't allow update options.

Last edited:
Art;
The beauty of the free 10 is that you can install it, activate it and easily revert back to the previous OS. 10 will stay registered to that machine for reinstall at any time down the road.

I upgraded my laptop to 10 and didn't like it. I had problems inserting photos into my reports and lots of issues with Acrobat. I uninstalled it and have had nothing but problems since including loosing most of my settings in almost every program I use. It is not a clean uninstall.

I upgraded my laptop to 10 and didn't like it. I had problems inserting photos into my reports and lots of issues with Acrobat. I uninstalled it and have had nothing but problems since including loosing most of my settings in almost every program I use. It is not a clean uninstall.
Well, that's good to hear, in the sense that we are alerted.
I've only talked to the people on 10 Forums and they all say it's pretty simple. But, like here, every one of them is an expert.

I will still probably make an image of the HDD on my desktop and try 10 there but wait on my netbook.

I'm waiting on 10 - till all is A-OK! That last saying dates me - LOL

I have always liked W 7 and the little I had to do with W 8 turned me right off, like so many others. So, when I got a new Zenbook this spring and it came with W 8.1, I wasn't looking forward to it. In fact I contemplated jumping to 10 without giving 8.1 a chance, but quickly came to like 8.1 because it was so much like 7.

The only thing in 8.1 that's remotely similar to Win7 is the desktop function...which IS Win7...It's what turned Win 8 into 8.1. 10 is 7 on steroids without all the garbage in 8. My Toshiba laptop came with 8.1...upgrading it to 10 was the best thing that ever happened to it!

The processor in your old laptop may not be upgradable to 10.
And computer or programs age may also be the source of your problems with 10, boatpoker. I have an old Lenovo running 7 Professional that I bought to use ONLY with a photo scanner because drivers in the photo scanner conflict with the drivers in my all-in-one printer, disabling the scanners in both machines...it's too old to upgrade to 10. No matter, it does the one job I bought it to do very well in 7.

A MAJOR source of problems upgrading to 10 is failure to follow MS instructions to make sure that ALL updates to Windows 7 as of the date you upgrade to 10 have been downloaded and installed before starting the upgrade. As is true of a lot of other things, it pays to follow instructions BEFORE all else fails!

Last edited:

The only thing in 8.1 that's remotely similar to Win7 is the desktop function...which IS Win7...It's what turned Win 8 into 8.1. 10 is 7 on steroids without all the garbage in 8. My Toshiba laptop came with 8.1...upgrading it to 10 was the best thing that ever happened to it!

The processor in your old laptop may not be upgradable to 10.
And computer or programs age may also be the source of your problems with 10, boatpoker. I have an old Lenovo running 7 Professional that I bought to use ONLY with a photo scanner because drivers in the photo scanner conflict with the drivers in my all-in-one printer, disabling the scanners in both machines...it's too old to upgrade to 10.

A MAJOR source of problems upgrading to 10 is failure to follow MS instructions to make sure that ALL Windows updates as of the date you upgrade to 10 have been downloaded and installed before starting the upgrade. As is true of a lot of other things, it pays to follow instructions BEFORE all else fails!

Thanks Peggie but I did follow the instructions. Unfortunately there appears to be no way to know if your existing programs will work or not until you try it. No problems with that, it's just the way it is. My beef is the mess it left my computer in after I uninstalled it.

Art, the problem with waiting till all is A-OK with Win 10 is that your software is getting older and will become less compatible with newer versions of it.

Everything including software has a lifespan. I had Office 97 installed on my computers for years...but when I had to replace my printer, I discovered that it needed newer drivers than the drivers in 97 and there were no updates to 97 new enough to solve the problem. So no choice but to add the cost of Office 2010 (ouch!) to the cost to replace a printer. I've had to update a lot of software...in most cases, only no cost updates were needed, a couple were definitely due for a decent burial and replacement. In that respect, computers have a lot in common with marine sanitation systems.

All of MS programs, and many from Adobe too, are now available by subscription...the "home" edition of Office 365 is $9.95/month, continually updatable. I'm seriously considering it 'cuz that beats the socks off $350+ for a complete Office package.

Last edited:
Everything including software has a lifespan. I had Office 97 installed on my computers for years...but when I had to replace my printer, I discovered that it needed newer drivers than the drivers in 97 and there were no updates to 97 new enough to solve the problem. So no choice but to add the cost of Office 2010 (ouch!) to the cost to replace a printer.

Just kind of a by the way -- Open Office is a really good replacement for Word, and is absolutely free. I have been using it for years, and find that it does everything that Microsoft Office used to do for me.

Right now, by coincidence, I'm downloading Windows 10 to replace Windows 8.1 on the computer in the back room. Wish me luck. (The computer in the front room is a Mac).

jwnall said:
Right now, by coincidence, I'm downloading Windows 10 to replace Windows 8.1. Wish me luck.
Cool.
You can be one of the test pilots.
Did you create an image of your drive before jumping off the cliff?
Please keep us posted.

One of my frustrations with W10 is the forced/auto updates.
The latest upgrade kept failing at 50% install because Billy Boy was trying to force an update to a "device" that does not exist.

I just discovered a little talked about MS fix that allows you to remove or hide updates.

Go here:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

and scroll down to:
Download the"Show or hide updates" troubleshooter package now.

Bingo, I hid the offending forced update and resumed installation.

Another issue I have is the inability to ad "shortcuts" to the desktop without going through the extra step of sticking it in favorites first.

Last edited:
One of my frustrations with W10 is the forced/auto updates.

That's existed in every version of 10...the simple solution: change your settings from "auto" to "notify me." Then you can choose the updates you want to run. It will try to go back to auto each time, so you do have to pay attention.

Another issue I have is the inability to ad "shortcuts" to the desktop without going through the extra step of sticking it in favorites first.

Also easy to fix: You do it the same way you did it in Win 7: Click on "all apps" (programs are "apps" now)...find the program/"app"...RIGHT click, choose "send to desktop (create shortcut)," click on it. Voila--shortcut on desktop.

I got tired of having to hunt down Word every time I want to use it after other stuff had forced it off the "recents" list. There's now a blank doc in the toolbar at the bottom of the screen...essentially a shortcut. Click on it, it loads.

Spend a little time rambling around what's under the window pane icon in the lower left corner...all kinds of good stuff there.

Last edited:
HeadMistress said:
It will try to go back to auto each time, so you do have to pay attention.
That is just a pink anchovy (not quite a red herring). What's the point, if you have to be so watchful. They don't want us thinking for ourselves. That is too much like government.
Click on "all apps" (programs are "apps" now)...find the program/"app"...RIGHT click, choose "send to desktop (create shortcut)," click on it. Voila--shortcut on desktop.
That's ok for apps but if, for example, I want to put this window/discussion directly on the desktop, I can't...can I?

If there's a way to put a shortcut to a specific thread in a specific forum in a specific website that isn't even on YOUR computer, but only accessible using a browser on your desktop--which is what you want to do--I don't have a clue how to do it...except MAYBE on a tablet..which, if you were able to do that in Win 8/8.1, would explain it 'cuz 8 tried to be a tablet in a PC.

What's the point, if you have to be so watchful. They don't want us thinking for ourselves. That is too much like government.

I hope you don't apply the same logic to navigation on your boat!

Last edited:
Just kind of a by the way -- Open Office is a really good replacement for Word, and is absolutely free. I have been using it for years, and find that it does everything that Microsoft Office used to do for me....

:thumb: Have only been using it for a year now with no complaints. Lena has been doing some editing using Open Office for a client that uses Word on MS10 with no issues.

If there's a way to put a shortcut to a specific thread in a specific forum in a specific website that isn't even on YOUR computer, but only accessible using a browser on your desktop--which is what you want to do--I don't have a clue how to do it...
[/I]I hope you don't apply the same logic to navigation on your boat!
Haha. I do apply the same logic because I don't want some geek in a windowless room remotely forcing me to use autopilot every inch of the way to the point I have to watch it more than where I want to go.

"Hey, don't think, do this, it's what's best for you. "

As for short cuts, all windows came with IE where you simply right click then create a shortcut. W10 comes with Edge which dropped that function.

Moving to windows 10; lost video, sound, and soon after, the use of the windows button. Seems like microsoft is heading to the cesspool. Looks like I'm heading to spend some hundred dollars to fix it, again. Hopefully, that fix will last more than three months.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom