Mardi Gras 2011

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carey

Guru
Vessel Name
Happy Destiny
Vessel Make
Custom Lobster Yacht
It just so happens, that Fat Tuesday, 2011 falls on our anniversary this year. I'm working on the Admiral to consider Bourbon Street for the celebration. I've been there, but she hasn't.

How will you know which Tuesday it will be? Ash Wednesday is always 46 days before Easter and Fat Tuesday is always the day before Ash Wednesday. Easter can fall on any Sunday from March 23 to April 25 with the exact date to coincide with the first Sunday after the full moon following a Spring Equinox! There you have it! Voila!

Don't you love how simple it is???

I'm still stuck back there on the Fat Tuesday bit - new to me - I suspect it is different from Super Tuesday, but what is it?

Peter B wrote:

I'm still stuck back there on the Fat Tuesday bit - new to me - I suspect it is different from Super Tuesday, but what is it?
Alright Peter, I understand your questions. Honestly, I don't know Fat Tuesday from Fat Reduced Tuesday except that I have done Bourbon Street, New Orleans on Fat Tuesday 2006 & 2007, and it is the party to end all. And, if you are in the city of New Orleans, or anywhere nearby (meaning about 200 miles), every city has their Mardi Gras parades and pariiies. For me, it was not so much about the original meaning of the event as it is about celebration. It is truly the ultimate celebration. And to experience a parade down Canal Street, or Bourbon Street, is "to celebrate". Ask one of our Gulf Coasters for a more in depth explanation. But just know that is about feeling good. I love that city. You just have to be there to understand.

buBeZ!!!! ( o )( o )

wink.gif

Mardi Gras, Fat Tuesday, Carnaval in Rio or Nice etc it's all the same thing.
Even in our little village of*Chackbay, 60 miles from New Orleans,*it is celebrated with a parade of*about 20 trailer floats. Huge amounts of beads are thrown by the masked riders, no "flashing" for beads required out here in the country!
We usually have friends over, BBQ then walk out to the front yard as the parade passes.
Below some pix form our driveway as it rolled by. We collected 4* buckets of beads and other trinkets they toss.
*Lots of fun, but,*if I can I'm out on the boat instead.

Steve W

For future Mardi Gras dates* http://www.mardigrasneworleans.com/mgdates.html

-- Edited by Steve on Friday 21st of January 2011 08:45:15 AM

-- Edited by Steve on Friday 21st of January 2011 08:48:44 AM

Attachments

• mardi gras 2008 028.jpg
    mardi gras 2008 028.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 81
  • mardi gras 2008 032.jpg
    mardi gras 2008 032.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 88
  • mardi gras 2008 045.jpg
    mardi gras 2008 045.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 88
Fat Tuesday is Catholic church related. It's the day before Ash Wednesday, which is the beginning of Lent. Since you are supposed to give up something for Lent (e.g. booze, chocolate, whatever), Fat Tuesday is the day to party, eat all the fun stuff, and (usually) drink like there's no tomorrow. Then, on Ash Wednesday, you calm it down and try to stick with whatever you gave up for Lent until Easter.
Mike
Baton Rouge

Peter B wrote:

It is the last day before the Lenten season starts, so the last day to party and each rich foods.* It is amazing how many "religious" people show it to celebrate the event.* I know that they are sincere because each on starts a severe fast after Fat Tuesday.* It is a wild party.* The first Mardi Gras was celecbated in Mobile.* In with the beads and trinkets they also throw Moon Pies.
smile.gif

*pS.* There are a lot of poor people there.* Some of the ladies can't affort to wear tops.

Yeah....whatever...
smile.gif
What I want to know is where is a Mardi Gras BOAT PARADE......Right here in Clear Lake, Texas is where!!!!! And we call it.......wait for it.......YACHTY GRAS!!! I think we are working on about the 10th annual this year.

NOW this thread is boat related!!!!

Mardi Gras 3/5/11
Fat Tuesday 3/8/11

Mardi Gras is on a Saturday?? Where?? Mardi means Tuesday, Gras means Fat, in French.
There are many Mardi Gras parades during week before but as far as I know (I am not an expert on the subject) Mardi Gras must be on a Tuesday as it is this year March 8, 2011.
Lundi Gras (fat Monday) has been "invented" recently to milk a bit more $$ from revelers.
Steve W.

Steve, while the literal translation might mean Tuesday, there are events that go for weeks in advance of fat Tuesday. The Mardi Gras here in Galveston, Tx is second in size only to New Orleans and likely the biggest event of the year for Galveston C of C!!!

We*parrotheads have a big event in New Orleans every January called Pardi Gras. Guess who was crowned king for2011?
smile.gif

-- Edited by Keith on Sunday 23rd of January 2011 09:21:18 AM

Attachments

• pardi gras 2011 252.jpg
    pardi gras 2011 252.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 75
  • pardi gras 2011 258.jpg
    pardi gras 2011 258.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 87
  • pardi gras 2011 234.jpg
    pardi gras 2011 234.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 84