Cost of living aboard ;Interactive calculator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captainjohn

Vessel Name
Bright Horizon
Vessel Make
PT Trawler
I am not sure if I was able to get this on the forum but it has had a very warm reception on the Great American Loop Association website. This tool allows you to make your best guess of how you will live and gives you a total monthly and or annual cost of this kind of lifestyle.

I have just tried to upload an excel file and it was deemed an invalid file. If you would like to see the calculator you can email me at jkenny@canalside.net or go to the great American looping association web site and see the genral thread.

You can't upload an excel file here but you could have provided a link to the file on the other website.

I am not sure if I was able to get this on the forum but it has had a very warm reception on the Great American Loop Association website. This tool allows you to make your best guess of how you will live and gives you a total monthly and or annual cost of this kind of lifestyle.

I have just tried to upload an excel file and it was deemed an invalid file. If you would like to see the calculator you can email me at jkenny@canalside.net or go to the great American looping association web site and see the genral thread.

jkenny,
I've just e-mailed you for a copy of the spreadsheet. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks!
Scott and Malina

A link to the file would have been appreciated by all of us.

It was a file so unless he uploads it to Gdocks or similar not likely we get a link

Can't wait to see this one. Would most appreciate a copy! mail: texflot at yahoo dot com

Thanks mucho!:thumb::thumb:

I'd appreciate a copy also. Please send it to gofirstclass @ gmail dot com.

I would be very surprised to find a spreadsheet that was more than marginally helpful for determining the cost of living on a boat. Some people spend a lot, some spend very little. There can be an immense difference.

The way I figure, you have $XX coming in and $YY going out. As long as the second figure is equal to or less than the first, you're doing fine. If it isn't , you have to make some adjustments. More anchoring, fewer marinas, more boat cooking, fewer restaurants, etc. And of course fuel costs can be cut by going slower or not at all.

Of course, if you're really into these things, you have to figure initial boat cost, interest or loss of use of funds for the duration, depreciation, maintenance and final sale price when you're done.

Me, I use the $XX - $YY method. I didn't buy a boat to worry myself to death over the cost.

Another option for distributing the file is to add it Google docs or a basic/free Dropbox or similar account and make it public, read-only if possible. Then, you could just publish that link. If it is not overly complicated, it may be worth turning it into an interactive web page.

While the file does sound interesting, I would suggest people reconsider displaying their email address in the open and unspoofed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom