Exhaust outlet flow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cardude01

Guru
Vessel Name
Bijou
Vessel Make
2008 Island Packet PY/SP
So I was at the boat trying to fix some things, broke a few things-- normal day.

I did notice something interesting.
My exhaust after the water muffler goes up into a siphon loop (guess that's the right phrase?)
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1447203190.401032.jpg
and then Ys with one hose going to port and one to the starboard outlet.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1447203326.842751.jpg
The starboard hose has good water flow but the port side just has a trickle. Is this OK? I assume the leg going to port just doesn't get as much water at the Y, or maybe the hose is screwed up.

Will try to post a video.

Your two photos both return errors, but never mind.

The water will be diverted to one path or the other due to the geometry of the y. But the exhaust at that point is already cooled down so that water flow doesn't matter. The exhaust gas flow splits almost equally so that the back pressure is reasonable. That is what is most important.

David

Ok. Cool. Thanks.

I sure have trouble trying to load a video!

Not really a siphon loop, but a gooseneck to prevent a following sea from swamping the outlet. The Y design might be a remnant of the boats sail origin. If motorsailing, there may be less back pressure on the windward side exhaust outlet of the leeward outlet is submerged. Also adds volume, and drains the following sea faster. Good design.

Ahh, that makes sense.

Is the temperature of the hose on the port side stay below 200F at full load? If yes, don't worry about it.

Have not tested at full load. Will try that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom