Uphill LA to SF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CeeBee

Our Furuno NN3 6kw open array seems pretty good in big seas with decent filtering of wave tops. But some dingbats in poor target sail boats have indeed surprised us in adverse weather. Can only but agree with your comments regarding AIS.

Great to see you and Mark using your boats and braving the elements. Do you have separate screens for radar, plotter and Flir?

I understand the idea of going at night to avoid the sea breeze but why go when the wind is so strong?

Congrats on the successful voyage!
're: boat licensing. Don't worry , the nanny state we call California, has it in the works .
Soon to be mandatory.

CeeBee

Our Furuno NN3 6kw open array seems pretty good in big seas with decent filtering of wave tops. But some dingbats in poor target sail boats have indeed surprised us in adverse weather. Can only but agree with your comments regarding AIS.

Great to see you and Mark using your boats and braving the elements. Do you have separate screens for radar, plotter and Flir?

Hey sunchaser, I'm sure the Furono is a great pair of UHD eyes.

In my dreams I have separate screens for them all :)

I have a single 15" RayMarine screen, which you can split Images.
Chart/Radar, Chart/Flir, etc. In heavy Fog and sometimes at night I "create" split screens loading the Navionics APP on the iPad which fits well below the RayMarine and use the larger screen for Radar or Flir. When the Flir is on the single screen mode you can zoom in and out whereas on the split screen can not.

It was great to put some miles under her keel this summer and fall going from SF down to San Diego. Hanging out in Marina Del Rey for a couple of months and then bringing her back up. Have met several awesome Trawler Forum members in the process!

I understand the idea of going at night to avoid the sea breeze but why go when the wind is so strong?

Hi bayview.
It wasn't "that bad" nothing significantly outrageous for Conception. We had been closely watching the weather for a couple of weeks. The weather forecast was for Light and Variable with 7' @ 9 sec with an increasing swell period to 12. That's the thing about Conception tho' lots of different factors playing into her moods. We had already rounded the point past Conception and False Conception when the wind started kicking up significantly. We checked the buoy forecast up the road and knew it would be calming down after Argeullo and Pt Sal and a lot (which it did) around SLO.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom