View Single Post
Old 11-05-2015, 02:02 PM   #1
Jeff F
Guru

City: Guelph
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
New Mainship 34 owner

Greetings All, I've been lurking for several months, just got around to registering, so first post.

I bought a 1978 Mainship 34 MK1 a couple of months ago. Some of you may have seen it for sale on eBay or elsewhere in late August. Currently ashore and tucked away for the winter in St Joseph MI about five hours drive from where I live in southwestern Ontario.

I've been mucking around in boats all my life, and grew up around big water in Nova Scotia. Have owned and/or captained lots of sailboats up to about 40 feet all over the east coast, Bahamas and great lakes, but haven't spent any time aboard larger power boats.

For the last few years I've been actively racing Laser dinghies and RC sailboats, and thinking about what I'd like to do next. There is no interesting (to me) boating around where I live, so I've become accustomed to traveling long distances to do this. I don't think my Mainship will get much closer to home than she is now.

I was motivated to buy a power boat when I did a careful examination of what I wanted in my next "big" boat. Some of my most memorable experiences were motoring along the ICW and the Illinois River and Mississippi in sailboats. I don't have any interest in open water, my interest is in exploring the waterways - Trent Severn, Rideau and Erie Canals, Mississippi and tributaries and ultimately the Great Loop.

A couple of years ago I started thinking of getting a single diesel work boat of some sort - slow, tough, low maintenance and low fuel usage. I had also seen a Willard 30 about 20 years ago that really struck my fancy and seemed like the sort of boat I wanted. Also briefly considered motorsailers, but my sailing tastes are really more around high performance, and if I had a motorsailer I'd probably leave the rig at home. And I wasn't interested in spending a ton of money, as I have other interests (and work!) and a generally unenthusiastic partner and family, and didn't want the boat to own me. So eventually the old Mainship 34 made its way to the top of the list.

I've been reading up on systems and diesel care and feeding here and elsewhere. Boat Diesel is a valuable resource for me. The boat I bought is as close to "turn key" as I could hope for in a 35+ year old boat, but I'm sure I'll encounter challenges next spring... current plan is to launch, spend a few days on orientation and systems checks, then head up Lake Michigan and into Lake Huron and then into the Trent Severn. Looking forward to this!

Jeff
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote