Removing New Glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom.B

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Make
Navigator 4200 Classic
The previous owner of our new boat, instead of buffing off the chalky finish, used a product called New Glass 2. High Gloss Finish Restorer With No Wax - NewGlass2

It was a HORRIBLE "professional" application by, what we assume is a giant rip-off scam, and it just looks like complete crap. I have sent two emails to the company requesting a way to remove the product (making up a story that I was removing just a few bad spot and splashes) and as you might expect, I haven't heard anything from them.

Other than sandpaper or an aggressive compound and buffer, is there any other way to remove it? It's a lacquer which, I think, which makes it different than that Poly-Glow crap that DOES market a removal product.

I had some residual Poly Glow on my boat which I could remove with their (overpriced) stripper and some scrubbing with a 3M pad.. Someone told me it is nothing more than a simple floor wax which could be removed with standard floor strippers. You might try that first and see how it goes...

By description it sounds like the same crap...

Last edited:
Thanks Steve... While you were typing that, I did find this:

Unlike conventional coatings, however, you can't sand or scrape off acrylic. Removal involves soaking the surface with an ammonia-based cleaner or acrylic wax stripper and plenty of scrubbing. (Now is the time to purchase, borrow or steal a Roto Brush, if you haven't already.) Super Tuff will remove it, so will TSRW Quick Strip and Vertglas Sealer Remover, but all require lots of elbow grease.

On our new 42, it will be a huge job no matter HOW you slice it. Fiddle-stix.

Thanks Steve... While you were typing that, I did find this:

On our new 42, it will be a huge job no matter HOW you slice it. Fiddle-stix.

I'll vouch for the "Elbo Grease" Mine had been done some time ago leaving a blotchy residue where it had not worn off naturally... It did take a lot of scrubbing with a 3M pad and several passes to get it gone...

Last edited:
I'll vouch for the "Elbo Grease" Mine had been done some time ago leaving a blotchy residue where it had not worn off naturally... It did take a lot of scrubbing with a 3M pad to get it gone...

Could you then buff the gelcoat back, or did you have to repaint?

Could you then buff the gelcoat back, or did you have to repaint?

My Gelcoat is 27 years old, so buffing back to gloss is wishful thinking....It did end up being semi glossy after the scrub, but far from a glossy painted finish. I'm having my Hull painted (awlcraft) as we speak, but can't even imagine the cost to paint the topsides. I guy I met recently with a 48' Selene was quoted $80K for topside paint!! This winter I'm going to try a power buff of the topsides in hopes of getting a relatively acceptable finish..

Last edited:
I see... well I am only 15 y/o. When I installed the new name, I managed to buff thru the stuff okay-ish. So now I have a splotchy transom, but it did prove there is good gelcoat below. I was just a bit fearful to try and get more agressive with the compound and stopped before I did real damage.

I have had a trusted "paint guy" say that it will only come off by wet sanding and repainting the whole boat (he quoted about $20k for the job), but I think I proved that it can be removed by other means. However, what a Titanic PITA it would be to buff out the whole topsides of a 42 Navigator. HUGE JOB! So I was hoping there would be something, anything, to shortcut the process. Even if it is just a little.

I suppose a few tests will be in order. First with some form of floor stripper and also a more aggressive compound and check the results. Still, maybe I will try and call the company and get their take on it.

Just a thought but has anyone tried an acid on this stuff.

The previous owner of our new boat, instead of buffing off the chalky finish, used a product called New Glass 2. High Gloss Finish Restorer With No Wax - NewGlass2

I made the mistake of using NuGlass on my own boat. According to the detailer I finally gave up and hired, the ONLY thing that removes it is Ace Hardware (no other brand) acrylic floor finish remover...and even it doesn't make the job easy.

Tom, would the chemical you use on your boot stripe to remove the mustache be strong enough to cut it?

I keep hearing about elbow grease. Where do you buy that and what size jug does it come in?

I made the mistake of using NuGlass on my own boat. According to the detailer I finally gave up and hired, the ONLY thing that removes it is Ace Hardware (no other brand) acrylic floor finish remover...and even it doesn't make the job easy.

Thanks... Was there a process or just "wax-on-wax-off"? Lather, rinse, repeat?

Tom, would the chemical you use on your boot stripe to remove the mustache be strong enough to cut it?

You mean On/Off? I dunno. Peggy's Ace Harware stuff will be way cheaper, but I suppose I could try it and see.

I keep hearing about elbow grease. Where do you buy that and what size jug does it come in?

https://www.google.com/search?q=elb...KEwiR36q2ovPIAhXEQSYKHRV5CiM&biw=1536&bih=731

shopping

I'll vouch for the "Elbo Grease" Mine had been done some time ago leaving a blotchy residue where it had not worn off naturally... It did take a lot of scrubbing with a 3M pad and several passes to get it gone...

When you say "wear off naturally", how long did that take, and what was the finish like that was showing through?

You mean On/Off? I dunno. Peggy's Ace Harware stuff will be way cheaper, but I suppose I could try it and see.

You can duplicate On and Off by just getting some Oxalic acid off Amazon....You can get a few pounds of the powder for less than $10. Mix a few ounces in a spray bottle. Works just as good and may work on the new-finish without damaging the Gel coat. Works great on my mustache, but I didn't try it on the poly glow. Peggy sounds like she has the solution..
Oxalic acid and wood bleach are the same thing so may be available at the local hardware store..

Last edited:
Thanks... Was there a process or just "wax-on-wax-off"? Lather, rinse, repeat?

If you're hoping for a "Lather, rinse, repeat" product, you aren't gonna find one. Removing NuGlass using acrylic floor finish remover is no different from removing acrylic floor finish from vinyl flooring...the process is the same...it's HARD WORK! But it will get the d'd stuff off! After she got it off my boat, the detailer told me she'd be glad wax and buff it to show room new, but if I wanted to put NuGlass or any similar product on it again I could find somebody else to put it on AND take it off next time.

Btw...this was on a 1985 34' Sea Ray Sundancer.

When you say "wear off naturally", how long did that take, and what was the finish like that was showing through?

Assuming Poly Glow is the same or similar stuff, and I bet it is, you'll get patches of shiny on the flat Gel coat (in my case) as it wears off over a long period of time..

These products wear off due to foot "traffic," chafing by fenders and lines etc. Unfortunately they also have a nasty tendency to yellow, crack and peel where they don't wear off.

I can't help with removing the crap on there but sounds like some good advice above.

My gelcoat is 34 years old, and as the pic below shows it now has a really good gloss. It has come back from being fairly badly oxidized. Get a pro detailer, a good one, and magic can happen.

Attachments

• Inside transom sml.jpg
    Inside transom sml.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 71
Some of these floor products do have a use.

Old scracthed plexi glass can be restored with little effort.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom