View Single Post
Old 10-30-2015, 04:43 PM   #20
BandB
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post

PS Why is a 38 foot Mainship called a Mainship 35 ??
Oh now that's worse than anchors. Why are 90% of the boats called differently than LOA. A lot has to do with dates too as over the years they've snuck into calling boat's XXXXX 50 when the 50 includes 5' of platform and pulpit.

Sometimes too it's because they're using the other nomenclature for something else. Here are a couple to contemplate that I've recently played with:

A Sunseeker Manhattan 63 and 65 are on the same hull. Length of both with enormous swim platform is 69'1". Now a comparably sized boat you'd think would be a Sea Ray L 650. However, it's 65' in length includes nearly 5' of platform. So their 65 is in reality about 5' shorter than Sunseeker's 65. A Grand Banks 43 is 48'11" including everything, but they use fair and honest numbers with it 43'4" without the platform and pulpit. Fleming shows hull measurement and total. Their 55' makes sense as it's hull is 55'9". Their 65' isn't too far off with a hull of 67'4". But their new 58 is 62'9". The only thing I can guess is they want it perceived as something easy for a 55 owner to move up to. As I said the small boats I grew up around went the other way. Oh they'd also use even 10's like 180 for outboard and 5's like 185 for I/O.

Their is now general uniformity in what must be put on documentation and most state registrations. However, model numbers seem to have little representation of length and with different builders they pick a different length.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote