Old 10-14-2015, 09:53 PM   #6
O C Diver
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeQi View Post
Thanks, OC Diver! We did look at the KK48 - not many available - the issue for us was the engine room access through the hatch in the salon - thoughts?
Life is full of trade offs. Really like my Cherubini especially the pilothouse. Access to my engine space is though hatches in the floor. The other point of access was by lifting up the stairs going to the staterooms......lifting a set of stairs....need I say more. My engine room has level floors now. There is a 3' step ladder that's held in place with a heavy bungee, that makes climbing up and down much easier. Removing the bungee and folding the ladder has it out of the way in seconds if need be. Having level floors on either side of the engine makes a huge difference and is neither difficult or expensive to add.

Regarding the KK42, KK48, etc, you need to spend some time on one before getting focused on them. I really liked the KK42, had looked at 2 of them, and came close to putting an offer on one. Had never been on one in the water until last Saturday. There are several threads on active and passive stabilizers and often wondered why people thought they were necessary. I now understand. At the dock there is noticeable roll when walking across the saloon from port to starboard. This isn't a problem for me, but much different from my hard chined semi displacement hull. My point is simply that it's important to understand and be comfortable with the amount of roll both under way and at anchor. Think KK still has great boats and the 48' would be great to have. Pretty sure my wife would prefer a hard chined boat though.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote