View Single Post
Old 10-12-2015, 04:57 PM   #19
Nomad Willy
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Here's my garage VoDo for the day ..
I always mix six parts distilled water w four parts no-diluted AF. Learned of that option from my BMW motorcycle manual. Long life AF as recomended in my manual. I think they would all recomend the 60-40 ratio but they probably are trying to keep it simple.
Then I mix up more than I need not being too fussy about how much more. I keep the extra on hand and label it "Mix". I drain after waiting a few minutes after a 20 min run for warm up. Then I drain through a ball valve that i installed for the purpose on the lowest point in the engine cooling system. I removed the original square head plug in this port on the after end of the block on the service side .. stbd.
Then I fill ... very slowly. And I think the "slowly" part is fairly important. Especially w hot water tank to engine plumbing and bus heater plumbing. I fill mine starting at the exhaust manifold and then finish by removing a pipe cap near the bus heater inside my setee. It's the highest point in the system.
Not done yet. I keep filling it untill it is 100% full at the bus heater and 3/4" down from the filler cap hole in the exhaust manifold. I assume all the air is bled out of the system through the vent w the cap bye the bus heater.

Flushing?
I've only flushed once and did it w radiator flush mixed at about a 25% level. Then flushed again w distilled water. I've never put anything but distilled water and the small amount of flush mentioned pluss the LLAF. I use extended life AF but probably don't need it as I made a point of having no aluminum engine parts exposed to coolant anywhere in the system. My manifold is a weldment of steel. Made by Klassen. They have been using these steel manifolds since the 60's.

Also I use a Murphy Switch that sounds an alarm when the coolant is down some. Probably saved our bacon once. Just one of the things I did on the repower.

I don't know if I'm subject to the cavitation issue or not. Intend to ask my engine supplier next time I'm in Seattle.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote