My Short Haul Refit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ted, that looks great. A climate controlled paint booth is the way to go. Can't wait to tour your boat in Ft. Pierce.:thumb::thumb:

So NICE, OUTSTANDING JOB.

View attachment 45296

Happy launching! Soon, I hope.

If you keep the can sealed tight, upside down, it will skin over the bottom, leaving the paint near the top available to use later.

If the paint can seals are roughed up, HD has new quart cans that you can use to save touch up paint.

Thanks for the kind words, still grinning a day later. :D

Funny you mentioned climate control. Ideal Awlgrip painting weather is upper 70s and 50% humidity. Have been waiting much of a week to paint. Between the rain from the Noreaster and cooler temps it wasn't happening. Finally the skies were forecast to clear but the building and boat were in the 60s. So we built a fire in the wood fired boiler the day before and brought the boat and building up to 80 so that we could ventilate the building but have the paint kick quickly. Worked perfectly!

Looking forward to Ft. Pierce.

Splash time is coming quickly. Just have one or two things to attach. :rolleyes:

These paints are stock colors for Sean. If there's to be any touch up work, he'll be doing it.

Ted

I'm looking forward to seeing pics of that Ice Blue in daylight. I bet it's stunning.

I'm looking forward to seeing pics of that Ice Blue in daylight. I bet it's stunning.

Here is a picture of my charter boat. The colors will be the same on the trawler. Above the cap rail is Matahorn White (slight hint of grey). Hull is Ice Blue. Bottom paint will be the same blue. The cap rail and the boot stripe are same dark blue as the the boot stripe in the picture. This is early morning in the boatyard and the blue is getting tainted by the color of the sun rising. Hopefully you can visualize the color combination.

DSCN0918.jpg

Ted

Here are some more project pictures:

The Nick Jackson dingy crane paint was looking rough, faded, and had a chalky surface. So figured it would look a lot nicer with a fresh couple of coats of Awlgrip. Here are some pics from the yard today with Sean applying Awlgrip Aluminum primer. Will receive 3 coats of white tomorrow. While we were at it, the mast, base, and trim ring were also done.

DSCN1441.jpg

DSCN1442.jpg

DSCN1443.jpg

The boat came with a nice custom mast that held lights, weather station, radar, and TV antenna. Very nice if you don't mind a 22' air draft. Lowering was a pain and because it rested on the dingy bow, still stuck up quite a bit. So we ended up fabricating a new mast from my old 23' VHF antenna, some fiberglass and Coosa board. Basically, Sean spiral wrapped the mast with biaxial cloth to strengthen it. Then he fabricated the mounting points for the different items. Finally it was faired, sanded, and Awlgripped.

The original mast.

MC2.jpg

The new mast.

DSCN1447.jpg

Here is where all the lights will be mounted. The top will hold the anchor light. The vertical flat surface on the right is for the masthead light. The 45 degree sloping surface on the left is for a deck light to illuminate the boat deck. The triangular area in the center is the wiring junction area with panels on both sides that are held in place with 5 screws.

DSCN1448.jpg

Below the lights is a platform for a Garmin twirly bird wind speed, direction, and air temperature sensor that is wireless and solar powered.

DSCN1449.jpg

At the bottom under the blue tape is a heavy duty position locking antenna base. This will be mounted on the back wall of the pilothouse about half way up. There will also be an antenna standoff mount at the top of the pilothouse to stabilize the mast.

DSCN1450.jpg

The radar will now be mounted to the roof of the pilothouse. The TV antenna will be replaced with a Tracvision satellite dish. A larger VHF antenna will also be mounted on the back wall of the pilothouse. With the VHF antenna and the mast up, I should still have an air draft in the low 20s. With the mast and antenna down (should take less than a minute to lower both) the air draft should be around 15'. :) Planning on doing the Great Loop in 2017 and see a lot of low bridges in my future. 15' air draft should also make the ICW South of Stuart faster with now only having to wait for 6 or 7 bridges.

Ted

Ted-
Can you ask Sean if he has anyone, maybe a long lost brother or cousin that is on the west coast who does the quality work that he does?

I'm really impressed with all the work you have done, pat yourself on the back, and better buy Ole Sean a nice bottle after all the work.

Gonna be like taking a a new boat out when it's over. Congrats!

Fantastic paint job, thanks for sharing it with us. Can't wait to see her finished.

Cheers Chris D Liberty:thumb::thumb:

Ted-
Can you ask Sean if he has anyone, maybe a long lost brother or cousin that is on the west coast who does the quality work that he does?

I'm really impressed with all the work you have done, pat yourself on the back, and better buy Ole Sean a nice bottle after all the work.

Gonna be like taking a a new boat out when it's over. Congrats!

Sorry, all of his family is within 50 miles of the boatyard. This is small town America at it's best. He doesn't drink or cuss. Boat certainly will look almost new when he's done.

Appreciate your kind words!

Ted

Fantastic paint job, thanks for sharing it with us. Can't wait to see her finished.

Cheers Chris D Liberty:thumb::thumb:

Thanks Chris! Both Sean and I are anxious to see the completion.......maybe for different reasons. :rolleyes:

Ted

Love love the fabricated mast. First rate on the design and build!!

Ted, the only Awlgrip on Moonstruck is on my shift and throttle balls. Sorry to report that I do not have golden balls, but my balls sure are shiny.

img_377652_0_921c8e7d68c23f6ed2b2a41d1043259e.jpg

Love love the fabricated mast. First rate on the design and build!!

Thanks Steve! It became more complex as the build proceeded. "Hey, while were at it, let's see if we can add a deck light to it. Think I want to mount the twirly bird on it also". It should work well, but have to wait and see.

Ted

Last edited:
Ted, the only Awlgrip on Moonstruck is on my shift and throttle balls. Sorry to report that I do not have golden balls, but my balls sure are shiny.

Guess I'm ok with you liking your shiny balls. :blush: Maybe too much information.

Ted

Holy crap, Ted. Remind me to check your location constantly so my poor old Manatee doesn't have to suffer the indignity of the inevitable comparison.:eek:

Are you sure you want to put that boat back in the water?

Last edited:
Good point Larry. I would HATE to pull up to the fuel dock the same time as Ted in that gorgeous boat ;)!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Holy crap, Ted. Remind me to check your location constantly so my poor old Manatee doesn't have to suffer the indignity of the inevitable comparison.:eek:

Are you sure you want to put that boat back in the water?

:) Larry, you know I'm only doing this to make a big impression when we crash the East coast TF geezer rendezvous. We need to start [STRIKE]conspiring[/STRIKE] making plans for the West coast armada.:rolleyes:

Ted

Good point Larry. I would HATE to pull up to the fuel dock the same time as Ted in that gorgeous boat ;)!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

The other side of that coin is that every time I dock, everybody is going to be watching the shiny boat. Nothing like an audience to watch the potential screw up.

Ted

:dance: :D :smitten:

Matterhorn White
Ice Blue
Corinthian Blue

There are 2 boot stripes. The bottom blue (third stripe) is where the barrier paint and bottom paint will start.

DSCN1469.jpg

DSCN1471.jpg

DSCN1472.jpg

DSCN1473.jpg

DSCN1475.jpg

DSCN1478.jpg

DSCN1504.jpg

DSCN1502.jpg

DSCN1510.jpg

DSCN1512.jpg

More pics in a minute.

Ted

Last edited:
Spectacular, OCD! Looks so nice, I'd be afraid to step on it. What a great finish!!

That is SO fine! Ted- sorry if this was covered earlier- but how long have you had the boat? And how long had you planned and prepared for this prior to getting started??

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Thanks for following the progression. Really nice to have people encouraging you that can appreciate what you're doing!

Wowzers is all I've got.

Yea, that was kind of my reaction. I was working in the side shop polishing chrome and Stainless parts. Sean stuck his head in after having pulled all the plastic and tape, and said you need to come see this.

:D

Spray painting is done. Decks still need to be Kiwigripped and hull needs barrier coat and bottom paint.

Spectacular, OCD! Looks so nice, I'd be afraid to step on it. What a great finish!!

Thanks! Yes we're walking very carefully.

Thats some serious glass/paint work. I would be scared to put it to the dock.

Yes, dreading the first smudge or scratch. Went through the "new paint" phase with the dive boat twice in the last 16 years. The first bird that craps on my new boat is going to pay the ultimate price.

That is SO fine! Ted- sorry if this was covered earlier- but how long have you had the boat? And how long had you planned and prepared for this prior to getting started??

First saw a listing for the boat in 2012.
Saw the boat in October 2013 after a major price reduction. Made offer 2 days later. Sea-trialed in November.
Closed in January 2014. Bought new engine in January. Played with the boat in Fort Myers, FL till April, then headed North. Refit started in June.

When I made the offer, I had already lined up the motor and had a commitment from Sean for paint, glass work, and help with the repower. The projects snowballed once we got started.

I would have to buy the yard. I couldnt fathom taking that boat outside at all.

Feel like I've been living there for the last 16 months. Can't wait to splash her. Have lots of new toys to play with. :)

Ted

That is a great looking vessel. Wonder if Sean wants to paint a GB?

OC, when are you coming through Jax? inquiring minds want to see your boat ( I would say "rig" but I don't want to get called out by Eric again!).

Jesus. That's just a ridiculously bad ass......rig.

Ted: Cardude and I are curious as to what would happen to your boat if some unfortunate accident would befall you, Lord forbid, while you were down here in Ft. Myers. Would the boat, say, go to an Estate Sale where it would be offered to the "public"?:socool::popcorn:

As always, I much appreciate the positive support!

That is a great looking vessel. Wonder if Sean wants to paint a GB?

Sean likes to do quality work. Don't think brand matters. Guessing he is probably booked into next summer now. But money talks, so you never know. ;)

OC, when are you coming through Jax? inquiring minds want to see your boat ( I would say "rig" but I don't want to get called out by Eric again!).

Heading South has yet to be determined. Have some bussiness and personal commitments from latter November through 1st of the year. Maybe a January cruise South. :eek: Will certainly announce departure plans when it happens.

Jesus. That's just a ridiculously bad ass......rig.

Rig :confused: .....must be a Texas thing. :rolleyes:

Ted: Cardude and I are curious as to what would happen to your boat if some unfortunate accident would befall you, Lord forbid, while you were down here in Ft. Myers. Would the boat, say, go to an Estate Sale where it would be offered to the "public"?:socool::popcorn:

Planning on taking it with me. :p

Ted

OC, I am awestruck! I don't think I have the words to describe the beauty you have produced with all your hard work.

Outstanding Job!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom