Volkswagen Diesel Engine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vessel Name
---
Soon it will be time to change over to Volkswagen Diesel Engines, they will be cheap.

I dunno.....I don't think any have been marinized...
VW will fix the emission issues at some hit on performance.
The 2.0 liter is currently at 140 HP which may make a good engine for a small trawler...

I'm just glad my TDi Beetle convertible is a lease. It'll be their problem soon..

TDi's have somewhat of a cult following in the homegrown marine diesel circles.

RT for the record I agree with you.

Greetings,
VW went down the tubes when they switched from air to liquid cooled engines IMO.

LOL...Dinosaurs roamed the earth once too!

( I know because I've had 6 aircooled Porsche's and a few VW's...and I'm a dinosaur)

Last edited:
Volkswagen has been making marine engines for a while now, They have 4, 5 and 6 cylinder engines

Didn't know...Obviously more popular in Europe than here...

Greetings,
VW went down the tubes when they switched from air to liquid cooled engines IMO.

I disagree RT. Air cooled engines in a car is a stupid idea unless gas is $.49 a gallon. Way too much heat loss. I had a 1957 36hp Bettle and I liked the little car a lot but never got over 27mpg. And then there's the heater.

A friend had an Aloha 34, built in the late 70s, with a Rabbit diesel. Definitely a VW product.

A friend had an Aloha 34, built in the late 70s, with a Rabbit diesel. Definitely a VW product.

The original vw rabbit motors were marinized under the pathfinder name.. they were not a great motor..ok but the were loud and seemed to have more issues.
Hollywood

The original vw rabbit motors were marinized under the pathfinder name.. they were not a great motor..ok but the were loud and seemed to have more issues.
Hollywood

Correction: These engines are VW Factory Marine engines and as of 1st of July 2012 marketed and sold as Mercury TDi Diesel Engines.

See the German VW website.

Greetings,
Mr. mb. Yup, "...a stupid idea..." "Volkswagen’s Beetle is the best selling car in history... During almost 60 years, the incredible 21,529,464 Beetles were produced..." You have a boat and you're using fuel mileage as an argument?

giphy.gif

I had a '59 and regularly got 40+ mpg. My '71 type 2 (1.6L) still gets 30+ mpg. Either something was wrong with your car or you didn't know how to drive it. Heat? When you're young and in love, who needs it?

Last edited:
Correction: These engines are VW Factory Marine engines and as of 1st of July 2012 marketed and sold as Mercury TDi Diesel Engines.

See the German VW website.

Whenever I hear the word Mercury I turn around and run like Forrest Gump and never look back.

I think this will cost VW mega$ to fix which may leave them vunerable to take overs , they have some good technologies which others may want. It will be interesting to watch what happens , this is what happens when you are caught cheating.:)

Heat? When you're young and in love, who needs it?

I, too, had a '59 Beetle (hand-painted) and recall a time in 1972 I would have killed for some heat. Driving it from my dorm in Tennessee to my parents home in Canada, I had tools spread out on the floor pan behind the driver's seat ready for the inevitable breakdown and my copy of "Keeping your VW Alive (for the Complete Idiot)" on the back seat.

As I left Chattanooga, the heater--which was pathetic when it was working--was totally on the fritz, it was raining like hell and there were holes in the front floor pan which let a lot of water stream in. It got bitterly cold as I got into Michigan and I wrapped a blanket around myself to stay warm. The breakdown happened after I crossed into Canada and I reached into the back to grab some tools only to find they were encased in solid ice. Fortunately, I was in London, Ontario by then, only 60 miles from my parents, and my dad came and picked me up. Lots of good times with that car, but that wasn't one of them.

Last edited:
RT,
Any heat loss from an engine is efficiency lost. Air cooled cylinders are a fantastic heat sink. You should have bought a Renault .. then you really could have gotten 40mpg.

Not everything sold in large numbers is good and the air cooled VW is a good example. They sold because they were cute .. and no doubt about that. Just ask Herby.

I believe Greenline Yachts use Volkswagen diesels from 75 to 220 HP in their 33 and 40 ft. Hybrids. Can't speak for their flagship 48 ft. Hybrid. I think the twin 110 and 220 HP versions might still be VW's, but I don't know about the twin 300 and 380 versions... could be another brand.

I believe Greenline Yachts use Volkswagen diesels from 75 to 220 HP in their 33 and 40 ft. Hybrids. Can't speak for their flagship 48 ft. Hybrid. I think the twin 110 and 220 HP versions might still be VW's, but I don't know about the twin 300 and 380 versions... could be another brand.

MAN is also a Volkswagen brand....

The mind boggles at the audacity of whoever it was in their hierarchy who gave the go-ahead to do, what is in effect, a deliberate, cynical trick to evade emission rules, and bugger the consequences. I hope that person or persons are made to pay somehow, for their callous attitude and the betrayal of all those thousands of other honest VW employees.

AS the VW diesel is optimised for great owner operation , and the "problem" is "too much" NOX I dont see the problem.

Sure some gov buroRAT somewhere is unhappy but so what?

An efficient good running car is what folks bought and got.

That the engine does not waste fuel running rich to burn off a cat converter in city driving is not a big deal.

NOX "problems" are not black soot , just an invisiable gas that the true believers computer program has decided is bad for Mother Earth .

Next visit to your dentist , be sure to skip the laughing gas , and save the world!

Yeah ... but ... who has had their VW engine burst into flames? Or, used a candle to keep the windshield defrosted in the winter? Or, had to use their and their girlfriend's shoelaces, run out the windows, to work the windshield wipers back-and-forth in a rainstorm? Now THAT'S some VW experiences. :D

All kidding aside I love out Jetta tdi. Built before the emission cheat. 50 mpg is hard to dislike

I disagree RT. Air cooled engines in a car is a stupid idea unless gas is $.49 a gallon. Way too much heat loss. I had a 1957 36hp Bettle and I liked the little car a lot but never got over 27mpg. And then there's the heater.

I had one with the gasoline heater sitting behind the glove box. It leaked profusely. I have no idea how it never caught fire and bbq'd us.

Greetings,
I think everyone who ever owned or knew someone that owned a Beetle has a story of some sort of "adventure". That being said, the ubiquitous Beetle carried countless folks on millions upon millions of miles all over the globe for a reasonable price. The air cooled engine, while being a bit thirsty was used to power everything from aircraft to log splitters, ran on every grade of gasoline and liquids that used to be gasoline in conditions that readily destroyed the average engine of the day. The engine was designed to run in every weather condition from Siberia to the Sahara and it did and does, still, to this day. So, love 'em or hate 'em, it is what it is.
The plural of anecdote is NOT evidence.

Plus, they were chick magnets!!!

The mind boggles at the audacity of whoever it was in their hierarchy who gave the go-ahead to do, what is in effect, a deliberate, cynical trick to evade emission rules, and bugger the consequences. I hope that person or persons are made to pay somehow, for their callous attitude and the betrayal of all those thousands of other honest VW employees.

This is the baffling part. Emission cheats have been tried before, caught, and made an example of. So any high level management that directed using a cheat would be an idiot, and probably overridden by others.

But the reality could be that the entire thing was done at the lower levels of programmers. Once the dyno lab control maps are finalized, programmers need to group it all together into files and integrate with the other car controls. This sort of "cheat" could be added without many people ever knowing about it. Higher level managers don't sit there and review millions of lines of computer code... Three sneaky programmers could do it by themselves.

Another bit about this: I have asked around and read about the true effects of NOx, and gotten a confusing set of answers. Apparently in dense cities, NOx reacts to form ozone and other nasties, so it is a bad thing there. But out in the country, NOx tends to scavenge atmospheric methane so could be considered a positive?? Also, apparently rather short lived compounds in sunlight and O2. I have yet to find an unbiased full explanation of the life cycle of these NOx emissions that gives both the negatives and the positives and the consequences thereof.

Is it really a big deal??

Mr. Martin Winterkorn, CEO from Volkswagen in Germany lost his job last month and now only receives a painful US$ 105.000 pension per month. He really pays the bill :banghead:

RT,
I may have to replace my Nissy Ann (87 Nissan) in the near future that I really like (VW level passion) and I see old VW's are fairly cheap even w rebuilt engines and little rust. And Nissy Ann hardly has more power than a VW because of a slipping clutch .. better on some days than others. But we drive locally on almost no hills so it's sorta OK.

IMO Ralph Nader killed VW and Corvair. Rear engines and swing axels though not fuel economy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom