Perkins 4-236

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Distant

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Distant Horizons
Vessel Make
35ft custom built trawler
Just purchased two older perkins 4-236.
What is normal oil capacity?
Thanks

We have one that holds 11 qts and one that holds 12 qts. I'd say put in 10 qts then check level. YMMV. Good luck

Perkins4-236

Thanks Pinapple Girl, happy cruising.

I'm not at all qualified to answer the original question, but do know that when I change the oil on the two 4-236's in the Gulfstar that I do not put in anywhere near that much. Don't remember exactly how much, because it has been a while, but I have a dim memory of 8 quarts.

I think Pineapple Girls engines are 6.354s. My guidance says my 4.236s take 10 qts. It's always best to check a manual. They're available online thru a google search.

Mine take between 8-9 quarts.

Kevin

I can get may notes out tomorrow but I'm sure no more than 8 quarts.

Distant- How are you going to use these two 'Old Perkins 4-236' engines?
Repower, rebuild, install in place of two gas engines? :blush:

Curious people will want to know. What kind of anchor do you have? As a newbi you will be required to fit into the anchor discussions.:lol::D:D

welcome onboard.:thumb:

Mine takes 8 quarts. Just bought 2 four quart jugs to change mine.

They were in running condition, however just partially rebuilt one, rod bearings and rings.
Re powering a 35ft trawler, custom built.

Oops that's what I get for looking at trawler forum while on vacation! Had a couple margaritas and forgot what kind of Perkins are on the boat. Sorry I'm trying to tell you to overfill your motors.

We had some helpers the first time we changed the oil in ours and we ended up with one way overfilled. :p

Thanks for the respones I went with the 8 quarts.

My notes indicate 7 quarts with filter. I would start there and check the dipstick.

Thanks Gulfstream, seems 7 or 8 is the number.

Thanks Gulfstream, seems 7 or 8 is the number.

The engine manual says 8, but there are various reasons why it varies from that. The primary one, I suspect, is that when you pull oil out through the dipstick hole (which I have to do) you usually do not get all of it. When I change the oil on mine (finally found my notes) I start with 6 quarts, run the engine for a few minutes to let the filter fill up, and then check the level and fill as needed. I would rather start low and add, than start high and subtract. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom