persons43 question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Islandman044

Good day all I'm new to this forum but have been looking/thinking about becoming a live aboard on the east coast NC
I have found A* Persons 43 trawler and was wondering if anyone knows about these boats and if is good or a headache in the making any advice would be greatly apprecaited
thanks

Greetings amd welcom aboard.

Like any boat condition is everything.

When was she last surveyed?

SD

I want to say the last survey isn't available. The boat has been sitting for awhile it has 318's in her which I would rather have perkins, but I'm more worried about stringers. Wiring, fuel tanks etc: I know my way around* boats well,I'm going down to look at her Monday I can probably get this boat for a steal but if Persons are junk I thought I would save the ride..she has great lines and with some TLC she could be a looker and confortable to live on,
The Broker has said it has been years since she was hauled so I'm should the zincs are gone...so might the underwater gear
smile.gif

Sounds like you have a line on what to look for.
*I am not familiar with the brand of boat.
*A Search on Yacht world didn't show anything.

Do you know if it is a one off or a production boat.

Give it a while maybe someone else will chime in on this boat.

How old is the boat? I haven't seen 318 since the early 90's

SD

Is this the houseboat look-a-like with V drives?

If so it is very roomy. Pearsons were not POC's. A good average built boat.

I think you mean a Pearson Portsmouth Trawler.* A friend on my dock bought one last year and really likes it.* His boat has Perkins Diesels but he thinks it was originally powered with Gas V8s.*

He is happy with the way the boat handles and the fuel consumption.

It is a big boat at 43 foot and I am jealous of the amount of interior space.

Good Luck**** Pearson built a good boat, but as most recreational boats it is better suited to inland and limited coastal cruising/

-- Edited by JohnP on Thursday 17th of February 2011 10:40:59 AM

PEARSON* no wonder the name was spelled wrong.

SD

RT Firefly wrote:P/F's work no doubt BUT I sense he IS trying harder and it shows.

Careful RT, it's not politically correct to poke fun at P/F or cross eyed opossums.
biggrin.gif

yes It's a portsmouth I'm looking at it for a liveaboard so cabin space would be great I will have to renovate since it is dated it does have 73 318's in it w Vdrives those in itself I'm not crazy about...They hold up good but shaft alignments are fun..It does have a massive cabin top...I'll look for soft spots... the hull does look like it wouldn't be great in any kind of rough seas Might be ok a few miles offshore on a nice day but mainly in the ICW..

Thanks for all the responses Please keep'em coming..I can't wait to see her monday,It's a 5-6 hour ride but I'm looking forward to it
I have a 81 37'silverton in mind also but there again Gas engines..I think the lines of the pearson are nice.

Depending how you use the boat you might be better off with gas engines,* replacements and repairs will be easier on your budget.* There have been issues with how older gassers handle the newer gasoline these days. You might want to ask the forum questions on that.* The hull is very stable,* but I would not want to be out in adverse conditions offshore in most boats this size.*There are ones that handle it with ease but they are pretty expansive.

Boats can be big projects and costs can go out of sight pretty fast.* Have you looked up sister ships on Yachtworld?** There are also a few threads here about yearly expenses, you might find interesting.** Dockage,Insurance, maintance and hauling and storage add up.*

I do not know you. but if you have done your homework you should be able to make an informed decision.* If you need more time, there will be no shortage of boats for the forseeable future.

Good Luck

the hull does look like it wouldn't be great in any kind of rough seas Might be ok a few miles offshore on a nice day but mainly in the ICW..

For the ICW and the usual low annual hours of a liveaboard the 318 would be my first choice.

I would locate a gas caddy that roll 20G on little wheels and yse IT as the fuel tank for local cruises.

When the ride is over the gas can be used in your car and the boat will not suffer from the 30 day shelf life of food filled gasoline . Ethanol diluted.

I haven't noticed many boat with a low free board mid ship sft and port holes close to the water line except the the blue water 52...the pearson does have a good V in the bow.
I have spoke to a marina around New Bern Nc the slip is around $6/ft and allows Live aboards and a marina in Oriental that will Haul,wash,block and re-splash for 14/ft..
JP you hit the fish on the head as far as Me being on a low budget,probably not a good Idea at all to even consider anything other than a pool float.
I'm originally from Long Island and have been on and around boats from day one,Have work in a marina for a while in the 80's so I'm comfortable around anything that floats...I just feel that there is a calling and It's time..maybe because the wife has moved on and the house will be sold...maybe a mid life thing..I always dreamed of getting a captains license IE: 6pack just for accomplishment.I can't offered a 80k boat loan nor do I want one.
I don't see me going to the bahamas"not that I don't want to " but that seems to be a trip for a sailboat..I don't think I could afford the fuel in any boat to make that trip.
I like the cabin space...318 gas...I rather have diesels or even GM crusders as I was never a mopar man but I hear 318s are bullet proof so for my application they should be ok.
Ethanol is an issue the early 70's motors liked Lead in the gas..I will have to inquire on that..

Thank again for all the comments..if you all have any experiences or more info on the hull of this thing please share..in the mean time keep the wet side down

Andy

"I was never a mopar man but I hear 318s are bullet proof "

They have been around since the 1960's. I have a 1995 Grand Cherokee with a 318 that is at 237,000 and still going stong on the all original engine. As a teenager I drove combines that ran 24/7 on 318's. Yes they are bullet proof.

Plot thickens...Just found out they are not 318's but Ford 302's????Wow I'm not sure how to feel about that
ashamed.gif

I can't find anywhere that Pearson used fords...Hmmmm

Islandman044 wrote:

Plot thickens...Just found out they are not 318's but Ford 302's????Wow I'm not sure how to feel about that
ashamed.gif

I can't find anywhere that Pearson used fords...Hmmmm
********* Ouch!* I like Fords but wonder also, not sure how I would feel either. I think I might tread water until the house is gone and the dust clears.* You might be better off with a more traditional trawler with single diesel.* There are going to be many good buys out there.* The trawler heyday of the 70's and 80's yielded a lot of boats. Owners are becoming uncomfortable upkeeping these depreciating assets.*Not unheard of is a widow giving one away, or a nasty divorce resulting in a fire sale.

The bottom line is most folks with money want Newer and Faster, so thats going to leave a lot of boats looking for a home.

Your idea of starting off fresh as a liveaboard makes sense, can work, and could possibly be the best years of your life.* Enjoy the search and the learning curve.

Take care.* JohnP

-- Edited by JohnP on Saturday 15th of January 2011 11:46:14 AM

-- Edited by JohnP on Thursday 17th of February 2011 10:38:32 AM

Islandman044 wrote:

Good day all I'm new to this forum but have been looking/thinking about becoming a live aboard on the east coast NC
I have found A* Persons 43 trawler and was wondering if anyone knows about these boats and if is good or a headache in the making any advice would be greatly apprecaited
thanks
Just makin' fun -- the East Coast is the only one we got in NC.

Seriously, look around in the many marinas and yards and you'll see many boats that just need a bit of love.* good luck!

*Woody

Well guess my search will continue...Seen the boat today...built solid but long neglected it wound up having ford 390's....I never seen that...it had a lot of salad growing on the bottom I don't think she'd been hauled in years The packing nut and shafts where greener that the statue of liberty and decaying in the bilge..I'm thinking zincs have been gone for a long time.The steel fuel tanks looked good except for the rusted welds...Just big ticket items before I could even get her out of the slip...I'll keep looking

Thanks all for your input I'll let you know how my search goes
Andrew

Islandman044 wrote:

Well guess my search will continue...Seen the boat today...built solid but long neglected it wound up having ford 390's....I never seen that...it had a lot of salad growing on the bottom I don't think she'd been hauled in years The packing nut and shafts where greener that the statue of liberty and decaying in the bilge..I'm thinking zincs have been gone for a long time.The steel fuel tanks looked good except for the rusted welds...Just big ticket items before I could even get her out of the slip...I'll keep looking

Thanks all for your input I'll let you know how my search goes
Andrew
******** Andrew,* Enjoy boat shopping it is a big part of the Fun.** JohnP

******** Were the engines Intercepter Marine Fords or What?

-- Edited by JohnP on Tuesday 18th of January 2011 08:30:42 AM

ford 390'

These were from the truck side of the Ford parts bin.

Really nice , forged crank , salt cooled valves very heavy duty and smooth as silk.

3000Rpm and under "forever".

I'am re powering my Pearson w/ 454's I'am looking for any info on trans gearing & V drive ratio's ??

Are you planning on upping the top speed? towing skiers or ???

Or will the boat be cruised as a displacement boat?

The 454 is one of the thirstyest engines built , but strong ,250hp all day,(20-25gph) so why the need for strong

me & my dad are gonna stay with 454's re powering to diesle means changeing all running gear, *not gonna happen *
no.gif
*all info we got so far point's to 330 hp keeping high HP at the lower end . we more info on tran's gear raito's *wright now i've got walter V drives at 2.05-1 prop's set @ 21/21/3 . we'r looling in gear idel around 2-3 kt's mid rang cruze around 8-10 any info would be a big help Jim

"454's re powering to diesle means changeing all running gear, "

NOT diesel,,

I would contemplate weather todays modern 305 or 350 might not work for you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom