Cat 3208 hp on data plate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trawler48

I have recently been looking at a number of boats in my quest for a new (to me) trawler and it is interesting to review the data plate on Cat 3208TAs. On the couple of boats in question the broker listing claims 375hp but on the engine data plate it clearly shows 300hp in one case and 260hp in another. So my question is, how can you be sure what the hp is and should the factory data plate stamped hp rating be the guide?

Ge the serial number and then get ahold of your local Cat dealer.

Yup. The serial number is stamped into the block, and is used for parts ordering. Besides, the 3208TA came in 2 flavors- 375hp and 435hp. The 300HP was a 3208T.

TA also came in 355 and 450, along with 375, 425, 435.
T came in 260, 300, 320.

I've also seen some oddball ratings, but don't remember them.

If you can find the original data plate, believe that over brokers.

Why would you care?

Unless towing water skiers , most on this board do the trawler crawl, 6-8mph .

3GPH perhaps 45 hp.

Why would you care?

Unless towing water skiers , most on this board do the trawler crawl, 6-8mph .

3GPH perhaps 45 hp.
And that's exactly what I am interested in too, just curious about the mismatch of information and brokers and owners seem genuinely surprised when it is pointed out so maybe no one has bothered to look before.

I'm not sure on the 3208 variances, but on the larger 35 series along with the serial # there is what Cat calls the arrangement#, it's also on the date plate.
The arrangement # tells how the engine came outfitted from the factory. What size injectors, size turbo, cooling pipe work etc etc so always have that # on hand when dealing with Cat.

Hey T48,

I just went below and looked at my data plates and it confirmed I have 3208T/A rated a 375hp with a full load RPM of 2800.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom