GB 49 my windows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

South pole

I have a salon rear window that leaked into the master head . Probably some rot in back corner due to previous owner not cleaning weep hole. Any ideas on repair or if need be replacing window? It's a fiberglass 1987 , I am a retired contractor and I understand wood work . But I have no manual on how the boat was put together so I do not know where to start. I would appreciate any advise. Also if anyone knows we're I can purchase a manual or a general blue print of the construction of the 87 era Grand Banks
Thanks Dan

Dan, post some photos of the damaged area. I would avoid removing the window, as you say the weep holes where plugged and caused the damage. If possible remove some of the damaged area most likely teak veneer over marine plywood and try to find the source of the moisture. Our first trawler was a 1987 Monk 36 with a similar constructed window, we had it removed because of a broken pane, the repair facility warned us that trying to remove the window might destroy some of the teak frame, we got lucky as the bedding came loose without damaging the frame. But it could have turned into a rebuild of the teak frame.
Bill

Last edited:
I have a friend with a 49 and he removed all the windows and put in aluminum framed windows.

Having said that, the frames on the outside unscrew, possibly from the inside depending on which year etc. All the fasteners will be plugged so you have to hunt for them. You might get lucky but my bet is some rot under the window in the inside panelling and trim, but you may get lucky. GB windows need a lot of maintenance.

I was in the process of replacing all the smaller forward windows with bronze port lights. Get rid of the wood and the leaks and the paint/varnish.

I have never heard of available plans/blueprints.

Last but not least, the little indigenous bees that live around here love to make bee houses inside the window drain pipes and the windshield washer pipes. A zip tie evicts them.

49 Banks windows

Thanks Capt. Bill
I will strip trim find plugs remove and unscrew fasteners. Sounds pretty strait forward . About like a house pull the trim unfasten the window flang and remove the window. Wish me luck .
Dan

With the wooden frame to remove the glass you need to scrape off the paint and primer from the flat edge of the frame that butts up to the glass. Once you scrape that off you'll see that the screw heads are covered by filler. Dig out the filler and then you can back out the screws. Then you have to carefully pry out the flat piece of frame that holds the glass in. That evolves sharpened thin blade scrapers.

To remove a complete frame you scrape down the face of the frame to get to the plugs covering the screws.

Before you do any of this, make sure the leak really is around the glass or frame. If it's just because the weep hole was clogged, unclog it and kerp it cleaned out. You can drill it out a bit and then line it with Git Rot or West epoxy. And clean out the sliding frame tracks and keep them clean.

Gb49

Thanks again Bill. I know there is some rot aft or the weep hole other then that the windows are in great shape. Your idea of using get rot may be the answer for the time being until I can get back south were the prices are more reasonable and redo all the windows .
Dan

What Giggitoni said!...It's not an uncommon issue on GB's; I'll be doing all my windows this winter after we put the cover on.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom