View Single Post
Old 09-28-2015, 03:43 PM   #295
bfloyd4445
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontop View Post
Well, if you're not the beneficiary of some government subsidy (home ownership, health care, college loans, child care, child bearing, retirement savings, solar panels, etc., etc., etc.), you're the rare American.

Subsidies for oil: how about some 4,000 dead and 30,000 wounded Americans in Iraq. There are large numbers of homeless men on the streets of our cities; a disproportionate number of whom are veterans. Do you feel guilty? I do. We all should.

This is an argument you can't win.

But it also doesn't belong in this thread. I was simply responding to an earlier post claiming that hybrid car drivers are trying to "show the way," which also didn't belong in the thread.
yes it belongs here as it involves the hidden costs of electric powered vessels.

Your first comment bashing Americans I'm sure is in reference to the United States. I'll address that issue in a moment but first i wish to remind you that most South and central American countries have huge subsidies for healthcare and because the people earn very low wages recieve very little tax money to pay for the subsidies. Many SA countries recieve large grants from the USA which I'm sure helps fund national health care and the militia for many of those countries.
In the USA most people pay taxes and own or are buying homes subject to taxation and pay for there own health care. If you are an illegal or have no income you can receive subsidized healthcare but if you work at all there is usually a charge based upon your income. All states to my knowledge have property taxes both for real estate and personal property like cars boats etc. The only free ride is for new illegal immigrants and others with no income, opps, and of course for politicians.

Thank you for pointing out one of the hidden cost of oil something most choose to ignore. There are many hidden costs in everything usually associated with the end of life cost for recycling used up consumer goods. This cost is often more than the original manufacturing costs. And, like with wars all of these manmade products also have a cost to be paid in human lives lost from the toxic substances they contain that are eventually find there way into the air we breath the water we drink and the food we eat.