Pinkish cooling water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ghost0070

Vessel Name
Rosie
Vessel Make
American Tug 34
After about 2 hours of low power running (1200rpm) our American tug 34's raw water cooling developed a pinkish tinge. Fuel or coolant??? Remedies??

Most likely coolant, if your boat uses coolant; The only way I can think of fuel getting in there is if you have a fuel cooler. My advice is to stop using the boat until you fix this.
There is a likely heat exchanger dying somewhere. Have you checked your coolant levels? have you checked the color of the coolant in the tank?

Well he claims it his RAW cooling water. So I'd like to know how and where he is even able to see it.

Rust in the system?

Trans cooler failure maybe if yours use ATF.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Thanks for the idea. The American Tug sends some of the raw water cooling out the side of the boats. We plan to service the engine shortly and will address this..

I had a heat exchanger tube fail on our boat about a year ago mixing the raw water with the coolant. I couldn't see any color in the raw water as it was way too diluted. What I could see was that my overflow tanks filled up with salt water.

Trans cooler failure maybe if yours use ATF.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Besides the fact that oil and water don't mix, I would think it would take a lot of ATF to even remotely turn raw water pink. So much in fact your tranny would stop working pretty quickly after the leak first started.

Plus if it was fuel or ATF in that kind of volume you're going to see a pretty good size slick around or behind the boat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom