The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdg1959

Hi folks! First post. I am looking to purchase a trawler in the next couple of years. I have been reading this forum and searching Yachtworld and others for a couple of years. Went to Trawlerfest in FL last Feb. Will dock the boat in the FL panhandle or Mobile Bay. Plan is to cruise this area for learning, then one day, Great Loop & maybe islands in eastern Caribbean. Mostly will be my wife and I, occasional couple guest. I am 6'3" so headroom is important, other preferences; aft cabin, galley up and bridge, 36' to 42'. My budget is $150k max. Obviously its going to be an older boat, which is fine, I have remodeled houses and have restored an old TR6. I love GB but know they are a premium, I also like OA.

Just looking for opinions, anybody have one? :)

thanks
Keith

Welcome aboard Keith.

Your requirements are similar to other recent posters here. Coastal US and the Loop can be done by vurtually any trawler, cruiser, motor yacht, etc. But be very careful that you really want to cruise to the eastern Caribbean. That mission requires a different set of issues than just cruising coastal US or even to the Bahamas.

The eastern Caribbean is notorious for routine 25 kt winds and 6-8' beam seas between islands. You won't find too many Grand Banks in the anchorages around those islands. It can be done on a standard Grand Banks, but you may not like it. It can be done more safely on something like a Krogen 42, but it still might not be very comfortable. A Krogen plus dynamic stabilizers will be comfortable and safe, but it will cost more than just a good coastal cruiser.

Many (including myself 15 years ago) had Caribbean aspirations that never panned out. Don't buy too much boat for what you really end up doing.

David

Last edited:
Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Opinions? HAH! Stand back and hold on...

giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom