What do you do to keep in shape?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No matter what I eat, it has too many calories, is too fattening and too greasy, raises my blood pressure, clogs up my arteries, gives me cancer, causes diabetes, clogs up the head, has too much gluten, etc etc etc.

Jeez, what can a 68 year old eat to enjoy life?

Honey, will you please make me another health food Margarita?

I retired. Lost the accumulated spare tire within the first year. Cycling and the never-ending Honey Do keep it off.

Best what i did to keep in shape was stop drinking alcohol 3 years ago. Lost about 70 lbs and remain since on a nice 154 lbs.

62 y/o now and a bloodpressure of a young boy again ;)

Wifey B: There are three major vices often mentioned. Smoking, Drinking and Sex. Now, obviously I'm innocent and know not of such things. :angel:

But having done some research which even has involved trying two of the three I learned this. One of the three has many health benefits. I would suggest a trade off with less or none of the other two and more of the healthy one. :dance:Strictly for medical reasons of course. :D

Dr. Wifey B has spoken.

Boring

Maybe join a monestary, sounds more fun.

Do you turn your nose up when your marina friend offers you a glass of wine, a cocktail?

My 93 YO dad smoked 5 cigars per day for 40 years, drank a pot of coffee a day, had eggs and bacon for breakfast, still does. Has 2 Martinis a day, not one not three. He still drives himself to church everyday.

Remember Jim Fix the Marathon athlete? He dropped dead of a heart attack at an early age.

Maybe become less uptight and enjoy the finer things life has to offer?

I say anything in moderation is OK.

I am 60 and weigh less than I did when married 35 years ago. Why? Portion control.

A thread was started talking about "when will you pack it in?" It made me think of what I'm doing, what we can do to delay our diminishing physical abilities as long as possible.

Like most things in my life I didn't start until meeting my wife. I was in good condition but more by accident than anything. Obviously what one can do changes with age. We are not workout fanatics however so it has to be things we enjoy.

1. Walk. To me there's not an easier or better exercise and it happens simply. We arrive somewhere and we walk to explore. Whether it's NYC or Chesapeake City. Also, it's a form of exercise we can do always. If we've been cruising all day, the first thing we do upon docking is go for a walk. Now, I do not jog. The pounding on hard pavement is something I don't think is good on one's joints. If I'm housebound and can't get out and walk, then I do walk on a treadmill.

2. Sing. I know that sounds odd. First it brings us pleasure which is always good. However, to sing properly requires good breathing techniques and we attribute being in excellent respiratory health to singing.

3. Tennis. It's our most frequent sport and we love it. While tennis elbow is a potential injury to be wary of, it's otherwise not tough on the body. By comparison, golf doesn't give the exercise plus is much tougher on your body, especially your back.

4. Basketball. This might be the questionable one but it's a good endurance sport and we take some precautions. We don't play outdoors on courts built to just trip one up. We also tape our ankles anytime we play.

5. Diet. Our diet is good and bad. We do eat red meats regularly. I'm sure we eat a lot of other things that are on the bad list. We aren't willing to cut out all the joy of food. However, we've made easy sacrifices. We don't eat many fried foods, really just fried chicken. We drink no coffee, tea or soda. All we drink on a daily basis is water. We don't smoke. We don't consume alcohol daily, perhaps once a month on average. We don't eat french fries. Just cut them out and don't miss them. A burger with no fries and no soft drink is a lot better than one with all that. We don't eat bread daily. We will eat cold cuts but no bread, hamburgers with no buns, hot dogs with no buns. Now, at a nice restaurant, we'll have some bread. What we haven't done is sacrifice chocolate and sweets and ice cream. But we minimize carbs in other ways and we way daily and if we see our weight changing we tighten down for a week or so.

6. Laugh a lot and play. Just enjoy. My wife just asked "what kind of play" and I'm just leaving it at play.

7. Sleep. Should probably be first on the list. We try to get 8 hours sleep nightly. Yes, I once got by with much less but that was due to a sleep disorder and while I was convinced for much of the time it wasn't impacting me, it was. I'm sure some of you will say you do fine on 5 hours per night. Let me take you to a lab and I can prove to you that while you do fine, you don't do as well as you would with more. The afternoon drop off in functioning is there.

8. Prevention and reaction. We get vaccines, we avoid contagious people. Then we've already made it a practice that if something is wrong or just seems wrong, we immediately get medical care. As you develop conditions over the years, avoiding acute exacerbations is often the key. The number of unnecessary pneumonia deaths each year is staggering. We wear masks and gloves in dusty or dirty environments. If there are any of you over 50 who haven't gotten a pneumonia vaccine, go get one. Get a flu shot. Listen to Terry Bradshaw and get a Shingles vaccine. Also if you're over 50, get a colonoscopy. Last, know your health. You're in charge of managing your health and medical care, not your doctors. Get copies of everything, ask questions. Know why you're taking every medication and the alternatives. Know the side effects. Learn to read and understand your lab results. Don't let the doctor just tell you the results of tests or labs, you get a copy and review the reports. We also don't try to do things we shouldn't. Don't lift more than we should or in ways we shouldn't. As you age, each injury such as hurting your back or twisting your knee, takes more out of you. One leads to others. For instance a back injury prevents one often from doing any kind of exercise so one quickly sees an overall decline.

We have some older friends who live on our property and are very close family to us. They say we're a pain in the a... We say we're selfish, and we want to keep them around us and healthy as long as possible. Now one may do everything perfect and still get a terminal illness or major injury. We just try to improve the odds.

There's not a thing we do for our health that makes us less happy or that we dislike doing. We're not going on the infomercial as the couple selling exercise equipment or some magic elixir. We don't go overboard on our health but we do try to take some steps.

Maybe join a monestary, sounds more fun.

Do you turn your nose up when your marina friend offers you a glass of wine, a cocktail?

My 93 YO dad smoked 5 cigars per day for 40 years, drank a pot of coffee a day, had eggs and bacon for breakfast, still does. Has 2 Martinis a day, not one not three. He still drives himself to church everyday.

Remember Jim Fix the Marathon athlete? He dropped dead of a heart attack at an early age.

Maybe become less uptight and enjoy the finer things life has to offer?

I say anything in moderation is OK.

I am 60 and weigh less than I did when married 35 years ago. Why? Portion control.

We're definitely not bored, just enjoy different things than you. We do drink occasionally, but yes, when offered a cocktail or wine at the marina, we very politely say "no thank you."

You may point out a person who broke every rule of good health and lived to 100 but the statistics prove certain things can shorten life and threaten health. At the same time marathon training and running has some serious health risks associated.

If people want to do high risk things, that's their choice as long as they don't put us at risk.

Now in this thread I wasn't looking for agreement, just to find out what others do. Seems to be a typical split between those who do nothing and those who do something, whatever that something is. That's all fine. It's interesting to hear and I have no plans to get into an argument regarding the science where opposing scientists and duel.

Most jobs are rather sedimentary.

Oh my. Just saw that. Sedentary. I try to watch but sometimes a tablet or phone seems to have a mind of it's own as to what it thinks you mean. Well, guess we can discuss rocks. Or perhaps it's because many jobs seem like sediment.

Jeez Louise! Another single/twins/anchor/windows debate! Too confusing and contradictory for me. Analysis paralysis is setting in.

Until further notice I think I'll stick with the old school methods; eat & drink less, move more. Everything in moderation, especially moderation!

Mr Rt, who would have known that chips would be a health food when compared to Chettos. Less sodium by a bunch and 340mg of potassium which Chettos has none. Go spud chips plus no orange fingers!

Greetings,
Mr. HDH. Nope NOT Cheetos, Cheerios, the breakfast cereal. I saw what you did there and you're NOT getting off that easy...Nice try though.
Cheerios (serving size-28g) Sodium-186mg
Chips ( IF same size serving-28g) Sodium-149g
White bread (IF same size serving-28g) Sodium- 200mg
Part of the problem here is one may eat a single serving of Cheerios but will typically eat a whole bag of chips or numerous slices of bread. Hidden sodium (salt) and the same goes for sugars.
Read those nutrition labels.

Last edited:
Yuke Cheerios, they may be good for you, but I'll side with good old Oatmeal for breakfast or 3 egg cheddar cheese omelet with rye toast.

Much has been said about eating healthy and I'm a firm believer in a proper diet but there are what I would call dietary time bombs out there that are smoothly packaged to get you to purchase them. My all time winner in the sodium time bomb category is Hungrey Man 25 gr protein Salisbury steak frozen dinners, 1300 mg of sodium ! You could use this stuff on your driveway in the winter to melt the ice. With that much salt in it they don't even need to freeze it.

Letter carrier, 58 years old, 550 houses on my route, 30,000 steps on Monday’s and 20,000+ rest of the week. Quit smoking about 20 years ago and not a drop of booze in 9 years. Weigh 5lbs more than high school, but most of the muscle is gone and my belly now bounces independently of my body mass :eek:

Lucky genetics more than anything...

...and "in shape" is a relative thing when you're approaching 60...gimpy shoulder...couldn't climb a rope or do pushups...would suffer horribly trotting up any sort of incline...probably couldn't run 1km without stopping...etc...

I run 5 miles a day and play tennis twice a week.
I sure don't weigh what I did in HS and college but that would be suicidal.

I run 5 miles a day and play tennis twice a week.
I sure don't weigh what I did in HS and college but that would be suicidal.

In HS I weighed 96 lbs and when I graduated from college I weighed 120 lbs. At 6'4 1/2" barefoot, that would be very strange if I weighed that now. I weigh 185-190 now so have gained over 50%.

Woodworking with hand tools. Yesterday I spent 4h planing 10 boards to correct thickness. Believe me this would bit any fitness club!

20190329_08.jpeg

20190329_07.jpeg

L

Let's see, in the past couple of months my exercise regimen has consisted of:

-jumping to conclusions
-running off at the mouth
-dodging direct answers to questions from my wife
-12 ounce curls

you get the picture yet?

Actually, I pinched my sciatic nerve on January 8 and it's only in the past week or so that I've even been able to walk normally with good posture. That is a REAL PITA!

Swimming a mix of strokes,3x a week. + Walking. + Daily exercise directed at the areas/joints that need maintaining. Only issue with swimming is it is largely non weight bearing,but that becomes its advantage when exercising joints,muscles etc, because you are partly supported by water. Excellent for back fitness and good allover, done regularly muscles strengthen to take the load off back structures. Can be done all year in a pool heated in cooler seasons.

Last week I was in Mexico cave diving. 6 days, 2 dives a day, 100 to 130 minutes swimming per dive. Ate everything in site (more than twice what I normally eat); drank almost a gallon of water per day, and still lost 6 pounds.

Ted

High School ended before my 18th B'day, so its not relevant what I weighed then.
Marriage was before my 23d B'day, a little more relevant, at 140 +/-
Now, at 70, my target weight is 160. Last year I was below it for 1/2 the year, this yr, still a tad over.

I walk, cycle, swim when opportunities arise, otherwise follow Mike's regime.

A Cruise ship diet in December hurt the stats a little, as it removed a lot of the opportunities for exercise, except for walking, which we were able to do quite a lot. Oh yes, those little boxes in the cruise ships that go up and down between floors, used one at the beginning, to get suitcases in and once at the end to get them out again.

Exercise v/s diet. Both are good of course but on average 75% of weight loss is diet and 25% is exercise. In short you can't work off much fat. But you can loose lots of weight through diet.
Words to live by. I believe and have proven too many times that what Nomad Willy wrote is the only logical way to lose weight. The good lord has given us a finite number of heart beats in our lives.....don't squander them with a lot of meaningless exercise". (I don't consider sex in this statement as I have never found it to be meaningless.):blush::popcorn:

I call it 'Boat Yoga'.

Maintaining two boats (and a semi-career fixing other's boats) means I have to climb in and out of small places, sometimes 20-30 times in a day. Servicing the generator on a Mainship 390 requires several minutes of meditation and planning before the multi-step maneuver to get in there to access the blasted (fill-in-the-blank) thinghy. Did I mention I hate Kohler? Checking the fluids and changing the engine anodes on the Bayliner 4788 requires multiple trips traversing "The Tunnel of Knee Pain". Let me tell you, putting a new water heater in a 4788 is a job for heroes.

More than six decades, five of them including many, many thousands of hours as a 'bilge monkey' has left me nimble, limber and with absolutely no physical complaints.

Chalk it up to 'Boat Yoga'...

A thread was started talking about "when will you pack it in?" It made me think of what I'm doing, what we can do to delay our diminishing physical abilities as long as possible.

Like most things in my life I didn't start until meeting my wife. I was in good condition but more by accident than anything. Obviously what one can do changes with age. We are not workout fanatics however so it has to be things we enjoy.

1. Walk. To me there's not an easier or better exercise and it happens simply. We arrive somewhere and we walk to explore. Whether it's NYC or Chesapeake City. Also, it's a form of exercise we can do always. If we've been cruising all day, the first thing we do upon docking is go for a walk. Now, I do not jog. The pounding on hard pavement is something I don't think is good on one's joints. If I'm housebound and can't get out and walk, then I do walk on a treadmill.

2. Sing. I know that sounds odd. First it brings us pleasure which is always good. However, to sing properly requires good breathing techniques and we attribute being in excellent respiratory health to singing.

3. Tennis. It's our most frequent sport and we love it. While tennis elbow is a potential injury to be wary of, it's otherwise not tough on the body. By comparison, golf doesn't give the exercise plus is much tougher on your body, especially your back.

4. Basketball. This might be the questionable one but it's a good endurance sport and we take some precautions. We don't play outdoors on courts built to just trip one up. We also tape our ankles anytime we play.

5. Diet. Our diet is good and bad. We do eat red meats regularly. I'm sure we eat a lot of other things that are on the bad list. We aren't willing to cut out all the joy of food. However, we've made easy sacrifices. We don't eat many fried foods, really just fried chicken. We drink no coffee, tea or soda. All we drink on a daily basis is water. We don't smoke. We don't consume alcohol daily, perhaps once a month on average. We don't eat french fries. Just cut them out and don't miss them. A burger with no fries and no soft drink is a lot better than one with all that. We don't eat bread daily. We will eat cold cuts but no bread, hamburgers with no buns, hot dogs with no buns. Now, at a nice restaurant, we'll have some bread. What we haven't done is sacrifice chocolate and sweets and ice cream. But we minimize carbs in other ways and we way daily and if we see our weight changing we tighten down for a week or so.

6. Laugh a lot and play. Just enjoy. My wife just asked "what kind of play" and I'm just leaving it at play.

7. Sleep. Should probably be first on the list. We try to get 8 hours sleep nightly. Yes, I once got by with much less but that was due to a sleep disorder and while I was convinced for much of the time it wasn't impacting me, it was. I'm sure some of you will say you do fine on 5 hours per night. Let me take you to a lab and I can prove to you that while you do fine, you don't do as well as you would with more. The afternoon drop off in functioning is there.

8. Prevention and reaction. We get vaccines, we avoid contagious people. Then we've already made it a practice that if something is wrong or just seems wrong, we immediately get medical care. As you develop conditions over the years, avoiding acute exacerbations is often the key. The number of unnecessary pneumonia deaths each year is staggering. We wear masks and gloves in dusty or dirty environments. If there are any of you over 50 who haven't gotten a pneumonia vaccine, go get one. Get a flu shot. Listen to Terry Bradshaw and get a Shingles vaccine. Also if you're over 50, get a colonoscopy. Last, know your health. You're in charge of managing your health and medical care, not your doctors. Get copies of everything, ask questions. Know why you're taking every medication and the alternatives. Know the side effects. Learn to read and understand your lab results. Don't let the doctor just tell you the results of tests or labs, you get a copy and review the reports. We also don't try to do things we shouldn't. Don't lift more than we should or in ways we shouldn't. As you age, each injury such as hurting your back or twisting your knee, takes more out of you. One leads to others. For instance a back injury prevents one often from doing any kind of exercise so one quickly sees an overall decline.

We have some older friends who live on our property and are very close family to us. They say we're a pain in the a... We say we're selfish, and we want to keep them around us and healthy as long as possible. Now one may do everything perfect and still get a terminal illness or major injury. We just try to improve the odds.

There's not a thing we do for our health that makes us less happy or that we dislike doing. We're not going on the infomercial as the couple selling exercise equipment or some magic elixir. We don't go overboard on our health but we do try to take some steps.
I do 12 OZ curls as often as I can.:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom