Great Galley Gadgets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some of our favorite galley gadgets:

Induction cook plate - heats up amazingly fast, temps are spot on, and it doesn't throw as much heat into the cabin in summer as the built-in propane stove. We've also used it on the dock several times for fish fries and boils, as we cannot have open flames.

41RdW2ZbNFL._SL110_.jpg

Victrinox chefs knife and knife safe. We have very nice knives at home, but this thing is great for the price. The safe allows us to throw the knife in a drawer (we have them for other size knives as well).

31N-bn2yuRL._SL110_.jpg

31VAd7z84JL._SL110_.jpg

Oxo silicone dish drying mat. Easy to clean and it keeps things from sliding around.

51d5hnN4odL._SL110_.jpg

And cannot forget the Cuisinart coffee maker - the two large insulated cups are perfect for the two of us.

31HMTE97FNL._SL110_.jpg

Have to call you out on this one Marin.

Cuisinart is a brand not a specific product... Much like "trawler" is a specific type of fishing vessel.

So which "Miniature Cuisinart" product are you referring to?

Waffle maker
Coffee maker
Blender
Convection oven
Crockpot
Griddle
Beverage maker
Baby bottle sterilizer
Bakeware
Can opener

And the list goes on and on.......

https://www.cuisinart.com

Well I understood him to mean a food processor. I have a miniature cuisinart at home. It's a kitchen aid brand mini food processor.

You guys have posted some interesting gadgets. I may have to consider if I need to add anything to my galley. My favorite thing is by Fisher & Paykal dishwasher drawer but it's a little big to call a gadget.

I almost hesitate starting this thread on the same section where the hottest topic is head repair, but since we have no Galley Section, here goes. If you just came from the Toilet Paper thread, please wash your hands or wear gloves before continuing on this post.

Have you got that perfect galley gadget that really makes a difference on the boat? It can be store bought or something like a homemade knife storage system. Something that works really well on the boat? Great for limited storage? A good system for drying dishes?

I've got a new gadget that I love cooking with; an electric skillet. I bought this lightweight, ceramic coated aluminium (for you blokes!) Presto skillet at my local Kohl's store. After using all my wife's coupons, I almost made money on the deal!

It's listed as 1250W 120V but on my Kill a Watt, it pulls just 1050W...and that was at a low 108V. With better voltage, I could probably run it with my little 1000W POS inverter, but it'll be just fine on the Honda eu2000i.

This pan is efficient, precisely adjustable and extremely easy to clean. I like to bring left-overs onboard to reheat, but the microwave is not always the best option for taste and crispness. I also like to cook fresh veggies onboard. This little skillet holds a lot and browns nicely.

At 12 inches, it takes a bit of storage space, but I have a spot where it fits perfectly. With protection, items can be nested within the pan to conserve space.

My cost out the door...$25. One of the cheapest things I bought for the boat this year. But I like it so much, it's at home now in daily duty.

img_372031_1_f2c56913801a3faace43303ecacf24e9.jpg

We have one and love it!

However our favorite gadget is the Induction cooktop, we bought this one from Amazon and haven't used our Princess range once since we got it.

Heats instantly and has a power display in watts. You can cook on as little as 200 watts all the way up to 1300.

Attachments

• 09-21-2015 2-37-33 PM.jpg
    09-21-2015 2-37-33 PM.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 74
However our favorite gadget is the Induction cooktop, we bought this one from Amazon and haven't used our Princess range once since we got it.

Heats instantly and has a power display in watts. You can cook on as little as 200 watts all the way up to 1300.

Has anyone tried to operate one of these induction cooktops on a MSW inverter?

Pasquini Livia 90 Espresso Machine

11162.jpg

Rancilio Rocky Burr Grinder

rocky_nodose.jpg

Behmor 1600 Coffee Roaster (technically not a galley gadget since it's used in the cockpit)

41jp8DQq0vL.jpg

Yes - I'm a coffee snob too!!

Richard

Three things:

1) Beni Hana table on my mezz deck;

2) Sous Vide cooker -- The Anova product doesn't take up much room and attaches to most any pot;

3) Chamber vacuum packer, convenient for sous vide cooking, but really great for long-term freezer storage of most anything.

Has anyone tried to operate one of these induction cooktops on a MSW inverter?

I'll try tonight and let you know. The only thing so far I have found that won't run off the inverter is our heated mattress pad. We have a Heart Freedom 10 with a Link 2000.

We've just started playing with our pressure cooker on board this year. We've made some great meals during the hour or so we'd be running the genset anyway to heat water and charge the house bank. Once it's at pressure you can pretty much unplug it and it keeps on cooking until the pressure is released.

The next step will be to use it underway as a slow cooker, via the inverter. This seemed like a great idea, but it means planning and preparing the evening meal before getting underway in the AM, which is too much like a schedule to have gained much traction on our trips this year.

Another nice gadget is a microwave egg poacher. Look for one with a flat bottom if you like "McMuffin" sandwiches, or a rounded one if you like the traditional poached egg look. Less than one minute of microwave time means no need to fire up the noisemaker. Tip: a tiny spray of oil makes cleaning the cooker much easier.

We cook underway with a crock pot. It took us a while but we found one that fits in the sink so it doesn't get tossed in heavy seas. It only draws 700 watts and the 2000watt inverter and two 150amp alts handle it easily.

:thumb:Yep, cooking along the way is what we do.:thumb:

When it's my turn to cook Stouffers frozen dinners are the galley gadget I use.

:thumb:Y

They (and their ilk) are what I would prefer. Quick, easy and no pots or dishes for the designated scullery person (me) to deal with. Unfortunately, my better half won't allow them in the larder. I get to buy and eat them only when I'm aboard by myself for dinner.

She likes to cook full meals aboard, which usually means copious pots, utensils and dishes for the aforesaid (that's a legal term) scullery person to wash up.

Life afloat can be a bit**ch sometimes. :cry:

Greetings,
Rather than:
th

I much prefer:

31G-k4U6oxL._SY300_.jpg

MUCH better for whisking flat pans when making gravies and sauces.
Gets into the corners better.

I can see that, RT. Never seen it before.

Al`s electric skillet, which we call an electric frypan, is useful and versatile.
My childhood memories of seeing the contents of the pressure cooker on the ceiling still put me off using one.
We love our espresso machine, I know the onboard machine has been done to death on TF, but proper coffee is a joy onboard,and if you like ruining coffee with milk you can foam milk with it. We have a small grinder so beans are fresh ground. And "to go" cups, for the occasional neighbour request.

Good thought...we carry a small number of disposable cups for friends, too.

My Cuissinart pressure cooker has several layers of safety devices to prevent inadvertent release of pressure and contents. There are electronic controls and mechanical locks that must all work in concert to allow the lid to be opened. Also, years ago the 'stone' would go flying if the pressure built up beyond a safe limit. :eek: :hide: Today's machine does not have that scary trait. :nonono:

:thumb:Yep, cooking along the way is what we do.:thumb:

Don we keep a 20 oz Stauffers Mac and cheese in the freezer- Patrcia heats it in the micro wave, then seasons s little and stirs in a can of tuna. Easy and yum.

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

We got ours (a NuWave) as a gift and proceeded to try it in the presence of the gifters. Steaks were our first effort and they were done to a "T". Grease spatter was the big culprit and the clean up took quite some time. When cooking anything that might "spatter", a cake saver that covers the cook top might be a good idea!

NuWave PIC - Precision Induction Cooktop - Seen on TV | NuWavePIC.com

Attachments

• NuWave.jpg
    NuWave.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 45
  • cake saver.jpg
    cake saver.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1139.jpg
    IMG_1139.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1141.jpg
    IMG_1141.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 59
Nordicware's microwave slow cooker can cook a pot roast in 25 minutes. Tastes great and saves hours of generator run time.

I dont carry it aboard , but taking all the SS pots off and spending a while at the buffing wheel seems to ielight the bride.

Ditto with removing all the knives for a quick pass om the belt sander with a fine emery belt.

Australian steak is so tender you don't need a knife :thumb:
I was lucky enough to live in Townsville between the ages of 9 and 13. I don't remember much about the meat tenderness but I definitely remember the countryside. Awesome place.

Ann wants me to add that in her expert opinion, the best gadget by far that she bought was a vacuum sealer, and as the grateful recipient of her wonderful cooking, I have to agree. We can stock up at Costco and the taste and texture difference it makes in freezing meat, fish and chicken is tremendous. She also uses it for thick sauces.

In addition, we found many other uses including preserving small batteries and other spare parts prone to corrosion and exposure.

Good call on the vacuum sealer. If you seal your fresh caught fish without rinsing off the filets before hand they will taste just a fresh a year later.

Ann wants me to add that in her expert opinion, the best gadget by far that she bought was a vacuum sealer,.......

We can stock up at Costco and the taste and texture difference it makes in freezing meat, fish and chicken is tremendous.
My brother who cruised the Sea of Cortez for many years also used a vacuum sealer and stocked up on foods from Costco, as well. He said it was the best thing he ever learned about cruising. Since I was aboard on a couple of those trips, I heartily agree!

Don we keep a 20 oz Stauffers Mac and cheese in the freezer- Patrcia heats it in the micro wave, then seasons s little and stirs in a can of tuna. Easy and yum.

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Steve try it with Costco canned chicken.

Back
Top Bottom