Great Galley Gadgets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlyWright

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
FlyWright
Vessel Make
1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I almost hesitate starting this thread on the same section where the hottest topic is head repair, but since we have no Galley Section, here goes. If you just came from the Toilet Paper thread, please wash your hands or wear gloves before continuing on this post.

Have you got that perfect galley gadget that really makes a difference on the boat? It can be store bought or something like a homemade knife storage system. Something that works really well on the boat? Great for limited storage? A good system for drying dishes?

I've got a new gadget that I love cooking with; an electric skillet. I bought this lightweight, ceramic coated aluminium (for you blokes!) Presto skillet at my local Kohl's store. After using all my wife's coupons, I almost made money on the deal!

It's listed as 1250W 120V but on my Kill a Watt, it pulls just 1050W...and that was at a low 108V. With better voltage, I could probably run it with my little 1000W POS inverter, but it'll be just fine on the Honda eu2000i.

This pan is efficient, precisely adjustable and extremely easy to clean. I like to bring left-overs onboard to reheat, but the microwave is not always the best option for taste and crispness. I also like to cook fresh veggies onboard. This little skillet holds a lot and browns nicely.

At 12 inches, it takes a bit of storage space, but I have a spot where it fits perfectly. With protection, items can be nested within the pan to conserve space.

My cost out the door...$25. One of the cheapest things I bought for the boat this year. But I like it so much, it's at home now in daily duty.

img_371134_1_f2c56913801a3faace43303ecacf24e9.jpg

Last edited:
Single hob induction cook top think it was $50

But will it work from a square wave inverter?

Coffee maker with a thermal carafe. Nothing like having a pot of coffee at the helm on those early morning cruises.

The Hatteras having a full sized kitchen (it's so un"galley"like) with full size household appliances including dishwasher, we didn't really need any space saving gadgets. Ann likes her electric skillet too but doesn't use it much; ditto the crock pot slow cooker.

Missus saw a telly ad for an electric pressure cooker the other day and wants it for the boat.

I'm not overly fond of pressure cooker food as I think it steams the taste out of the food, but she thinks it will a boon onboard due to size and speed.

We cook underway with a crock pot. It took us a while but we found one that fits in the sink so it doesn't get tossed in heavy seas. It only draws 700 watts and the 2000watt inverter and two 150amp alts handle it easily.

For a few years my wife experimented with cooking on the stove top, micro wave, grille, induction cooker, etc. and concluded that the easiest and cleanest method is the electric skillet. We have had one for years which we love! Grilling, however messier, is a close second.

811279.jpg

Can't beat a French press coffee pot for making the best cup. Use Community Dark Roast coffee. Sometimes use New Orleans blend.

My best galley gadget is my wife. She fixes great meals, kisses me when she serves them, makes great coffee, and then cleans up afterwards.

Can a gadget get any better than that?

Missus saw a telly ad for an electric pressure cooker the other day and wants it for the boat.

I'm not overly fond of pressure cooker food as I think it steams the taste out of the food, but she thinks it will a boon onboard due to size and speed.

Menzies, We have a Cuisinart Digital Pressure Cooker at home and rave about it. Last night we made a pork sirloin tip roast dinner in an hour (from frozen!) that knocked our socks off. We find that the liquids that the meats are cooked in get fused into the meat, adding flavor. Try cooking a pork roast in Apple Juice or Pepsi! :eek: The latter sounds strange but makes incredible gravy. :thumb:

If she buys it and you're looking for some good pressure cooker recipes, PM me and I'll send our best ones. We have built up quite a collection over the past 5-7 years.

We use it so much at home that if it broke today, I'd have to run back to Costco and buy another one tomorrow. (I haven't tried it on the boat yet.)

My wife has always been quite the baker. When her two oldest kids (now 29 and 25) were little she says she used to bake virtually every day. But now she loves our breadmaker. It's riduculously easy, and makes darn good bread pretty much automatically.

Much like George and his awesome Hatteras we have a pretty good sized galley (household AC fridge/freezer, good space/storage, etc.), so the breadmaker doesn't take up too much room. A smaller boat just might preclude a breadmaker from making sense...

Other than that and a collapsible colander, nothing really gadget-like. But I will echo the importance of a good french press while out cruising. Now that's one invaluable piece of equipment in the galley!

Electric kettle

My best galley gadget is my wife. She fixes great meals, kisses me when she serves them, makes great coffee, and then cleans up afterwards.

:thumb:

While visiting the SHM shipyard last year in Doumen, China I became accustomed to having hard boiled eggs on a daily basis. The small electric appliance shown in the photo below is very similar to what was used to cook the eggs in a very short period of time:

9631-albums319-picture2308.jpg

Lucky guy

Perfect and funny ! You are lucky guy :)

We cook underway with a crock pot. It took us a while but we found one that fits in the sink so it doesn't get tossed in heavy seas. It only draws 700 watts and the 2000watt inverter and two 150amp alts handle it easily.

Have you ever tried the crock pot to bake potatoes? Put it on high, and fill it with potatoes end ways, each one wrapped in foil. Let them cook for 5-6 hours and you'll have the creamiest baked potato you ever had.

Stu

Have you ever tried the crock pot to bake potatoes? Put it on high, and fill it with potatoes end ways, each one wrapped in foil. Let them cook for 5-6 hours and you'll have the creamiest baked potato you ever had.

Stu

Great idea!

My electric galley gadgets

My electric galley gadgets on board are Expresso coffee maker made by Nespresso and a electric kettle.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Miniature Cuisinart.

Have to call you out on this one Marin.

Cuisinart is a brand not a specific product... Much like "trawler" is a specific type of fishing vessel.

So which "Miniature Cuisinart" product are you referring to?

Waffle maker
Coffee maker
Blender
Convection oven
Crockpot
Griddle
Beverage maker
Baby bottle sterilizer
Bakeware
Can opener

And the list goes on and on.......

https://www.cuisinart.com

Last edited:
Blender, but there are about two and a half million different types and brands of blenders on the planet and they are all different from each other so using the brand name defines which one.

Plus, as I do not cook nor get involved with anything having to do with food preparation or cleaning up on the boats or at home, when I hear the word Cuisinart the only thing I visualize is a blender. I had no idea (nor do I care:)) that the Cuisinart company makes that other stuff you listed. I bought the miniature Cuisinart blender I mentioned for my wife but I have nothing to do with its operation. All I can say is that she uses it a lot and she really likes it. But I cannot explain why.

Induction cooker....

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-4.jpg
    FullSizeRender-4.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 87
I'm a complete coffee snob. My most important "gadget" is my hand operated burr grinder from Sur La Table. No electricity required. I use mellita 4 cup filters which I go in the recycling or compost bin instead of the French press which makes bitter, over extracted coffee and requires a lot of water to clean up.

ah for you sir. This will certainly restore the balance of primitive mans need for flavor.

http://www.hammacher.com/Product/84974?cm_cat=ProductSEM&cm_pla=AdWordsPLA&source=PRODSEM&gclid=CPnJloC5hsgCFQUFaQodA9oGOg

The only downside is the first time you use it, you quickly find out its too small to smoke everything you have in the fridge at once. LOL

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom