Soon to be trawler owner (maybe)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CLee

Hello,
I am currently contemplating the idea of acquiring a 1983 Cheoy Lee 61ft for liveaborad purpose.
I think I will need a lot of info as I am compeltely new to trawlers (and boating for that matter...)

From zero to 61 feet is a pretty steep learning curve. Not to mention with a 30 year old boat.

Good luck with the project.

Dave

Hello,
I am currently contemplating the idea of acquiring a 1983 Cheoy Lee 61ft for liveaborad purpose.
I think I will need a lot of info as I am compeltely new to trawlers (and boating for that matter...)

I would assume then you're hiring a crew for when you want to leave the dock and to manage the boat?

A liveaboard needn't leave the dock.

In my experience, a big boat isn't that much more difficult to run than a small one, it's just that the consequences of screwing up are more, ah, consequential. a person could wring a lot of consequences out of a 61' boat.

I would assume then you're hiring a crew for when you want to leave the dock and to manage the boat?

Yes absolutely, as long as im not confident enough that I can be safe without

I think they are trying to tell you to start with a smaller boat. If you plan on having insurance you will either have to hire a captain or settle for something a bit smaller.

Agree on challenge w/insurance. I had a tough time getting coverage on 25 yr old boat moving up from 20' to 37'

After having no claims over 25 years owning a 24-foot trailered sailboat, experienced no difficulty in obtaining coverage for my current 35-footer.

After having no claims over 25 years owning a 24-foot trailered sailboat, experienced no difficulty in obtaining coverage for my current 35-footer.

I write yacht insurance and would not question the jump from 24' sail with 25yrs experience to a 35'. Having no experience and buying a 60 footer is a different story. You can do a lot of damage with a 60 footer.

I write yacht insurance and would not question the jump from 24' sail with 25yrs experience to a 35'. Having no experience and buying a 60 footer is a different story. You can do a lot of damage with a 60 footer.

Absolutely. Note that the OP said "I am compeltely new to trawlers (and boating for that matter...)"

Perhaps I misinterpreted, but he gave me the impression he thinks it's just buy a boat and go boating. I can't imagine any insurer covering a 60' for him without an experienced captain operating it.

Back
Top Bottom