The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cmlevy

Hi everyone.

I am thinking hard about retiring aboard a trawler, selling my Florida home.

Issues I have include bad back and 6'2" height. Also, whether a Marina with a large live aboard community might be a good opportunity to change my boring life.

Another somewhat important issue! is that I've never operated a boat bigger than a row boat with an outboard. So training and insurance become issues and how they interact with the timing to purchase a boat become a major problem. Of course, marinas require "insurance" but never specifying (yet) as to whether its property and liability. Maybe a carrier would issue me a policy for property insurance IF me operating it is disclaimed. If so, I could buy first and have it moved into the Marina by a qualified captain. Of course then I take the risk of never doing enough to qualify for liability insurance. There is no boating certification in Florida for adults.

I have been looking at 49' Gulfstreams. Beautiful in photos. Great interiors including use of household furniture which is more comfortable for my back. Great master stateroom, queen for guests and third for kids or use as den. Great woodwork. Large engine rooms. Reasonable price for one in mid-80s. All have high hours because they have been used for loop, South America, Bahamas, etc. I doubt I could ever make long trips in blue water due to back issues.

Then a knowledgable captain/author questioned their quality. At the same time I noticed that all on market had hard tops over aft. Where's the sun? Bow is not particularly suitable for sun bathing either. Visitors in particular are going to be disappointed. Also, poor swim platform. Wonder whether hydraulic replacement or extension (for tender too) would help.

So, I started looking towards Grand Banks. Built in furniture. IMO not the same woodwork. A lot of teak. Engine room access appears difficult. Not sure about removal of built in furniture although I did see one somewhat modified.

Well, that's enough for now. Any comments, help, criticisms, etc. appreciated.

Thanks.

Chuck

Initially you can insure with a licensed Captain required on board while underway. Train under them and then you'll be able to insure with yourself operating and likely by the time you're comfortable doing it on your own.

You can find a "knowledgeable captain/author" who will question the quality of any boat.

Figure out what you think you want to do with the boat then get one that fits the mission.

Welcome and we all started at the beginning.

Another thing to consider is just how bad is your "bad back". And can you do something about it. Boats move, sometimes a lot and in unexpected directions. Just something to think about. Now, as to training, start with a local Power Squadron or USCGAux boating course and learn all you can, especially about Rules of the Road. If that boat really feels comfortable to you AND it fits the kind of boating you plan on doing then get it and hire a local captain to training you on your boat. Join a boating group or Yacht club and hang out with people who have boats, some of whom will be live-aboards.

As to your land-based house, rent it out for a couple of years and then, once you determine that the live-aboard life is really for you THEN sell it.

We moved aboard a little of 4 years ago and got rid of the house just this year. Not looking back now.

Marty....................

Welcome!
Just a note on the "bad back", my hubbie had a horrible back and we were thinking it may get better when cruising since we think part of his problem is sitting at the computer at work all day. Well, it didn't get better but it didn't get worse and he just fine on the boat.
Good luck!

Just putting this out there for those with a bad back. I had a painful backache a number of years ago. Doctors, X- rays, medications---nothing helped. I was in agony for 4 months. My wife sent me for a massage. I walked away pain free and the pain never returned.

Now, years later I have had a repeat occurrence on the other side of my back. I had long forgotten the prior experience. Last week I had X- rays, a week of meds and no relief. My wife recalled the massage and off I went. I'm now pain free again.

I don't know why this worked for me but if you have back pain it's worth a try.

Greetings,
DSC01990.jpg

Nope...

RT, you really need to stop following me.

... Now, as to training, start with a local Power Squadron or USCGAux boating course and learn all you can, especially about Rules of the Road. If that boat really feels comfortable to you AND it fits the kind of boating you plan on doing then get it and hire a local captain to training you on your boat. Join a boating group or Yacht club and hang out with people who have boats, some of whom will be live-aboards.
Marty....................

Welcome aboard
I agree and second Marty's comment re: USPS / USCGAux.
USPS has recently added more on-the-water training to their available courses.

My wife and I took a basic boating course when we contemplated getting into boating - we joined the local squadron and have remained active members after 25+ yrs.
The knowledge gave us the confidence to try it on our own and practice and experience has reinforced the confidence.
We have cruised much more than we ever would have if we hadn't started with the knowledge piece.
Side benefit is that you build a network of knowledgeable resources with similar interests that you can call on for help and to continue the informal education.

Also - Insurance Co's recognize the value of USPS courses and will generally provide a discount if you have completed courses and are an active member.
Same for charter outfits which is another excellent way to test whether the cruising life style is for you - and you can charter either with or without a certified Capt to assist & "show you the ropes".

Good Luck - Lots of info and a good bunch here at TF - willing to help w/ advice but you have to do your homework and sort out what's right for yourself.

Back
Top Bottom