Thoughts on forward master cabin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spanishladyg

Veteran Member
Hi folks,
we are looking for thoughts on forward cabins / master cabin. I would prefer an aft cabin, is anyone out there with a Kadey Krogen 48? how is the slapping when you are at anchor? Most of our time will be at anchor and I'm a light sleeper. Trying out any boat at anchor isn't normally something that can be done when you are looking for a boat. I would be grateful for any comments on sleeping in forward cabins at anchor. Are there any out there with a "walk around" bed?

Spanishladyg

We have a forward cabin, but I thought that wasn't something you wanted in a Passagemaker like the Krogens???

As far as sleeping we don't have an issue with anchor noises, but we also anchor in very protected places.

There is a big difference between solft and hard chine. Most long range boats have soft round smooth hull, so there is very little water slapping noise. We very seldom hear water wave noise.

Now thinking of looking at a Krogen Express 49, not too sure which kind of chine it has I will take a look to see if I can find out.

We have a forward cabin in our Krogen 42. Don't ever remember it was a problem.

Hi Bay Pelican, (nice name) please, is the 42 similar to the 49? Which year is yours? We are looking at a 1999 49ft.

The anchor locker is forward of the master and I believe the hull is cored above the water line which will give you sound and thermal insulation. The KK49 does have an inner and outer spray rail that the KK42 does not. This could be a source of some wave slap while on a mooring or at anchor but I have no idea.

Attachments

• TruetoForm3[1].jpg
    TruetoForm3[1].jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 809
  • TruetoForm2[1].jpg
    TruetoForm2[1].jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 821
Thank you Larry M, thats good information. We are in Fort Lauderdale and would love to look at both the 42 and the 49 express.

Having said that I'm still looking at finding an American Tug 41 locally so we can take a look.

Thanks

I think Larry summed it up well; the FD boats will be much quieter. Besides wave slap, which I am very sensitive to, we don't personally like the crammed in feeling of most forward berths. I suggest going through the motions of getting into and out of bed while you are searching. Ann once vetoed the idea of getting a Fleming 55 based on the master cabin design, yet obviously Flemings are much loved boats.

It's all a matter of personal preference, for instance, some folks actually say they like the wave slap.

Once again we get back to the benefits of chartering a few styles of boats before buying; it helps clear up or surface so many issues as to what elements of boat design are important to you

" Ann once vetoed the idea of getting a Fleming 55 based on the master cabin design'.....,
WOW! She sure saved you from buying a "horrible boat!" :hide:
(Just kidding of course.)

Not a horrible boat by any stretch of the imagination. Just not for us, that's all. I vetoed it due to the engine room, because I just didn't "fit" in there. Have to admit, I didn't like the MSR myself, reminded me of a 40 something Sea Ray in layout (not quality). She is also a galley down person.

I always thought the Fleming would be almost perfect for being underway in , but not as a house for us or something I personally wanted to be working in the ER on. We also ended up deciding not to sink that kind of coin into a boat. So we ended up with something about the same length of a Fleming 55, but added a story and a few feet of beam...

ZDxxGUp_zx5jsNcl7aGe6sELZukym84DC10a5A9bFKt7MRGQ-kLxkh3baY7XC56-pSIi8tXakK__ASDtCBDgnZPSkS7-6sz5jdF09He3dVsie2WWYR3K4CByDS3ZKP_0NhKuKnT2zP4fce514D9V3ce1nmTxViUX97oT0wyUmtPSdVFigmmX0Xs0FFR3aYfKOkJl2XaXajd-AxWIyHxEmFoxV_Jh3IFOtzoTCKgp-I9NYJ8H6SsaQyuRwzvnrZtZpaArEh789NOAXweaClot0EmDhdqF8K2OZBhIIsQZ-urYOZdd6ftkxF6qdBLTmNHj4fjxGXDiHn8pBHP4F4FFDo5V0sBbaDmvvvLUtMnu76-DU6GqdpS8Vn0Qo5fOVvB5XsHpYAuQG8Wn7-kMnARQpXfjlODdkh391008pCoCsIhKrwfwPacYL9Y718jny9cf9PlW8S4RqkSFHbTiROBnYabGn4g7zYrS9fOE5cb27khsPNv_E6Y1fTipC27eKaheTndd18USm8p9FUfEMUqW0lcg-K8dnG5xqr0WTh0qhWc=w800-h600-no

..... and lived happily ever after!

I vetoed it due to the engine room, because I just didn't "fit" in there..........

I always thought the Fleming would be almost perfect for being underway in but not as a house for us or something I personally wanted to be working in the ER on.
Couldn't agree more! I met Tony Fleming years ago and have always thought he built a high quality boat. The ER on the 55, as you have pointed out, is not on par with the rest of the boat. My ER is no better but I paid less than half of what a 2006 Fleming would have cost me.:blush:

I find the comments on the Fleming 55 very interesting. We found that layout less than optimum. With so many boats offering full beam masters now, Fleming received that as a regular question/issue, so addressed it in the new 58. Several layout options of the 58 have a full beam master and have the VIP stateroom forward. In my opinion, the 58 is a tremendous upgrade over the 55 in many ways and rivals the 65.

If I recall correctly, the Fleming 65 also was standard with a forward MSR, significantly bigger, mostly due to beam, than the one on the 55 Here we are in Manteo tail to tail with a beauty:

P6240119.JPG

The nicest forward MSR I've seen, and one we could definitely live with, is on the Krogen 58.

If I recall correctly, the Fleming 65 also was standard with a forward MSR, significantly bigger, mostly due to beam, than the one on the 55 Here we are in Manteo tail to tail with a beauty:

P6240119.JPG

The nicest forward MSR I've seen, and one we could definitely live with, is on the Krogen 58.

Yes, that's the standard on the 65', but they also offer several variations which all have a master on one side and the head on the other so the two of them taking full beam. They turn the bed vertically or horizontally in various layouts. The forward master on the 65 is considerably larger than the 55 though. But the master on the 58 is larger than any on the 65.

I always thought the Fleming would be almost perfect for being underway in , but not as a house for us or something I personally wanted to be working in the ER on. We also ended up deciding not to sink that kind of coin into a boat. So we ended up with something about the same length of a Fleming 55, but added a story and a few feet of beam...
!

The reality is the volume of space on your boat is considerably more than on a Fleming 55. The amount of living space on your boat is also substantially more than a Nordhavn 60. It's back to fitting boat to intended use.

Wow, hold on! There are only 2 of us and have very occasional guests. Thinking 50ft max. Our goal is the Bahamas and the Great Loop, we have been cruising the Caribbean since crossing the Atlantic from Spain. So now we would like to stretch out a little with both comfort outside and in.
That is when we have sold our sailing yacht.
I want galley up, with a decent sized fridge, I'm tired of hands and knees looking for food. Preferably 2 sinks, I know this must sound odd to you guys out there but we will be living onboard pretty much full time as we do now. Max budget 400K but that has to be pretty much "turn key" Don't want to spend months working on a boat before we set off. Comments still welcome, thanks

Now thinking of looking at a Krogen Express 49, not too sure which kind of chine it has I will take a look to see if I can find out.

While much of the advice that has been given here is spot on, there are far more differences between and Full Displacement and Semi-Planning hull than the wave noise at anchor.

The only similarities between the Krogen Express 49 and the kadey Krogen 42, 44 or 48 is the name "Krogen".

I would be grateful for any comments on sleeping in forward cabins at anchor. Are there any out there with a "walk around" bed?

We have a forward master, with (part-way) walkaround queen-sized (sorta, mostly) bed. No anchor noise to speak of, but we do get some wave slap. Not horrible.

Our bed is mounted above storage drawers, so it's about an 18" step up to get there; not great.

Believe I'd prefer a full-beam master in our lottery boat, but that means about 55' or so in our current style of vessel. And I keep forgetting to play, anyway...

-Chris

We have a forward master, with (part-way) walkaround queen-sized (sorta, mostly) bed. No anchor noise to speak of, but we do get some wave slap. Not horrible.

Our bed is mounted above storage drawers, so it's about an 18" step up to get there; not great.

Believe I'd prefer a full-beam master in our lottery boat, but that means about 55' or so in our current style of vessel. And I keep forgetting to play, anyway...

-Chris

The key to this thread may be though that the OP said she's a light sleeper. We're heavy sleepers so the sound wouldn't bother us. The height is where the problem often comes in for me and it's not the clearance on the bed, but it's getting to it and walking around it.

While much of the advice that has been given here is spot on, there are far more differences between and Full Displacement and Semi-Planning hull than the wave noise at anchor.

The only similarities between the Krogen Express 49 and the kadey Krogen 42, 44 or 48 is the name "Krogen".

Well, the subject of the thread is the forward MSR.

One very nice advantage of the forward MSR, I haven't noticed mentioned yet, is the ability to open the overhead hatch and catch whatever breeze is available while at anchor. This can cut down on the need for AC, running fans, etc. Opening the port lights on an aft MSR doesn't come close.

Greetings,
ONE disadvantage of a FSR can occur IF one is doing an overnight or extended passage. Noise from forward motion would produce possible sleep preventing wave noise.

Greetings,
ONE disadvantage of a FSR can occur IF one is doing an overnight or extended passage. Noise from forward motion would produce possible sleep preventing wave noise.

Yet another reason to have a very comfortable sofa in the salon.

ppPi8ZTCLJzcJ__Ej5WS95_5KnEn6NvHn-FXOW7FsGPWxz6-E0Cod1bTOYKZisk3mbM4OkpIBR9dlnRHpo8beJ6J3W7qyFyBiluHxayT4raSCI8y60RqDWGlbg6HZ1rkr_SAbNX1xspdgJZdJpUH47qUiWCCd7s44X52XxabhqiLqwybjt2aJr42O-lAPbOjSASHWV1f92kRPsCw4w9uTfwedo_JUI0G_Qzew3VoCqc6etNPXyRRK1IPjLoLDmVWIBq3Os9wWFO_k3ZPPmv7Afl754mez5EyLIBNedEiSCv-r4UabMnbuR6WUT88UqsbcjRahpX39Hht6uq9zPh1LWfveuyXLE1ckVIVarv0ETHU8OiIG9c196Xr9MGBokHpWstY60BKSCb8IY7L0bA-BaQuyceRcqLAcjtQP2EwlqG9Ir5dtzrvMkly_O4eXDDas3HIMjNwL4167JyB6NcWAMYblDx2suS18ATfkq39uCJZMDyUwFRhhfUdfqQoFUMpTzKUJrVXidvxagTzpsmtxbNm4L0Nw-PbSPoaD2MoVkA=w847-h635-no

Well, the subject of the thread is the forward MSR.

One very nice advantage of the forward MSR, I haven't noticed mentioned yet, is the ability to open the overhead hatch and catch whatever breeze is available while at anchor. This can cut down on the need for AC, running fans, etc. Opening the port lights on an aft MSR doesn't come close.

Also an escape hatch, so beneficial from a safety standpoint.

Yet another reason to have a very comfortable sofa in the salon.

Makes you think too of exactly what you use the cabin for. If you stay up in the salon or on the decks until time you're ready to sleep and when you wake get up and leave the cabin, then size and headroom and the other issues become minimum. The sleep issue is still important. On the other hand if you use it to relax, to read, to watch television or just to sit and talk, then these other factors become more important.

Also an escape hatch, so beneficial from a safety standpoint.

A properly designed aft or mid cabin will have a hatch, door or portlight big enough for that purpose. I opened ours up (they are on the transom) and tried it one time: tight, but doable. I imagine if I was scared enough I'd be through there in no time. But it's the kind of thing you don't want to be figuring out for the first time when things have hit the fan.

Greetings,

Heck with the "noise from forward motion" I'd be more concerned with the unpleasant motion up in the bow. While underway on a long passage it's the least desirable location, and at times impossible, for sleeping. An aft or mid-ship MSR is the only way I'd want my boat configured. Yes, a FSR would suffice for a guest stateroom but even then not for sleeping while underway on a long passage. Just Sayin'

Last edited:
Hi Bay Pelican, (nice name) please, is the 42 similar to the 49? Which year is yours? We are looking at a 1999 49ft.

Have not heard of a Krogen 49. I think there are two versions of the Krogen 48. The North Sea and the AE. Both are very similar to the 42 just larger although the foward sloping windows in the pilot house are different.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom