Another sailor bites the dust!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Larry

Veteran Member
Greetings all. Like many of you, I am transitioning from owning a sailboat to wanting a trawler. I've been searching in all the usual places, including on this wonderful website. So glad I found it! My next step will be to place a "Wanted" post.

I live in Indy but have wintered in the Virgin Islands much of the past 10 years on a variety of boats, including a 52' Jeanneau sloop that I owned a partnership interest in. Prior to that I owned one of Charlie Morgan's great old sloops which I kept in Melbourne, FL. I'm tired of making the trip to the Islands and want to purchase a trawler and put her in south FL; possibly Key West, and spend winters there, when I'm not delivering yachts. (I have a USCG 50T Master's rating.)

Like some of you, I suspect, I have champagne taste and a beer budget, but am hopeful that I'll be able to find something workable in the near future. If you know of a trawler owner who is in transition and wants to sell, I would invite you to check out my boat wanted posting on this site.

Fair winds and smooth seas!
Captain Larry

Welcome aboard, and good luck on looking for a trawler. Since you said in your other thread that you were amenable to checking out boats in the Caribbean, I was giving some idle thought to that. I recall some good deals at both Isla Mujeres (Mexico), and at Lake Izabal in Guatemala (up the Rio Dulce). That was quite a few years ago, but might be worth checking out. Lots of times (I would think) people achieve their dream by getting there, but then say the heck with making that journey back again!! :)

Thanks for your thoughts and quick reply. So long as the boat is turn-key ready, and truly seaworthy, I will consider it. I have made several deliveries from the VI to USA, plus one from Spain to Fort Lauderdale, and am now very demanding about how well founded a vessel is. There is no such thing as being "too seaworthy!" The problem, at least based on my experience in the eastern Caribbean and VI's, is that it's exceedingly difficult to have repairs made in a timely manner (without even considering the cost of getting things done!) But again, I will consider it if all the stars align. Thanks again, John.

Welcome to the forum! Saw your other thread. The price makes it tough. Not necessarily because it's too low, but more that brokers generally won't handle and subsequently list them on places like yachtworld.com because of the price. Ebay and Craigslist would be good places to look. Might also be worth walking some of the older boatyards in FL. Also, walking the marina docks one sees boats with for sale signs on them that are otherwise unadvertised.

Ted

Thanks for your thoughts and quick reply. So long as the boat is turn-key ready, and truly seaworthy, I will consider it. I have made several deliveries from the VI to USA, plus one from Spain to Fort Lauderdale, and am now very demanding about how well founded a vessel is. There is no such thing as being "too seaworthy!" The problem, at least based on my experience in the eastern Caribbean and VI's, is that it's exceedingly difficult to have repairs made in a timely manner (without even considering the cost of getting things done!) But again, I will consider it if all the stars align. Thanks again, John.

My pleasure. Hope it helps. Isla Mujeres is easy to check by phone, but Guatemala is a bit harder. If I remember correctly the name of the little town there is Flores. The marinas there would know about boats for sale more than likely. Don't mention my name though, since I got thrown out of one of them for starting a fight in the bar (my wilder, younger days). I came out second best. Broken nose, actually. Moral: When you are 65, do not swing on a 45 year old, no matter how obnoxious he may be! :)

Last edited:
Hello Ted. Thanks to you, as well. All good thoughts. I plan to go to Trawler Fest in a couple weeks, both to look at boats and to attend sessions. I do check CraigsList and eBay regularly, as well as many of the classified websites. It's difficult for me to get to marinas to walk the docks, because of living in Indy. I'm hoping this website will connect me with some prospective sellers, in addition to the other measures I'm taking. Nothing like networking!

I also like the support boaters give to each other, both on the water and off.

"Another sailor bites the dust" is a mixed metaphor or implies death. Better to say something like "another sailor jumps ship." Many of us, including me, have moved from sailboats to motorboats. :whistling:

Fishers finally became a city last year, complete with an elected Mayor. But amazingly, there are still a lot of people in Indiana who don't know where Fishers is located, in spite of all the publicity it has received. So, I stick with Indy, since most everyone has heard of our racetrack. But you're absolutely right; Fishers ain't Indy!

"Another sailor bites the dust" is a mixed metaphor or implies death. Better to say something like "another sailor jumps ship." Many of us, including me, have moved from sailboats to motorboats. :whistling:

How many more engines or fewer sails do you now have compared to your "sailing" days?

:popcorn:

Pretty much the same. Each time one engine and two or three sails.

What's the difference besides comfort and degree of list?

Fishers finally became a city last year, complete with an elected Mayor. But amazingly, there are still a lot of people in Indiana who don't know where Fishers is located, in spite of all the publicity it has received. So, I stick with Indy, since most everyone has heard of our racetrack. But you're absolutely right; Fishers ain't Indy!

Just yanking your chain. :)

Didn't know Fishers "finally became a city." Didn't know it wasn't one already, for that matter. We get back to visit family a little south of you -- in Indy :) -- occasionally....

-Chris

The "good ole boys" did their best to keep it a town with no elected officials, per se. They did a great job, but it was time to have more transparency. Progress? Perhaps. Being an old goat, I rather liked it the way it was. Alas.

Trawler

Hello Capt. Larry,

If you would like to email me, I have a trawler that might be for you.
I am new to this forum, and not sure how to respond directly to you.
Email to me at: bahama.k@coralwave.com

Regards
Conchy Joe

Conchy Joe,
I sent you an email. If you don't see it in your "Inbox," please check SPAM filter.
Thx!
Captain Larry

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom