To chrome or not to chrome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

34 Europa

Veteran Member
Hi all, we have disassembled our windlass and have cleaned up all the parts to shiny bronze. Our dilemma is do we have the items all re-chromed, coat with something to decrease polishing required or leave as is and polish as needed?

Thoughts????

Thanks!!

Clear epoxy or laquior. We had a canvas cover made for it which helps and covers it up.

Hi all, we have disassembled our windlass and have cleaned up all the parts to shiny bronze. Our dilemma is do we have the items all re-chromed, coat with something to decrease polishing required or leave as is and polish as needed?

Thoughts????

Thanks!!

I like chrome myself, done by a good plater. Then maintain it with Collinite Metal Wax or Rejex. I have to say on older boats with a lot of teak trim and decking, weathered bronze looks pretty good and "saltier". Particularly if the other metal trim like hawses and cleats are the same. It's a pure cosmetic/aesthetic decision IMO.

Chrome gets ya home.:) I'd leave it natural.

Greetings,
Mr. O. Ah, the exuberance of youth...Chrome WON'T get ya home. Shining up the brass is all well and good and I DO like the look but IF as P/F suggests you clear coat, with whatever, when it starts peeling and the underlayment (bronze/brass) starts oxidizing, it is impossible to spot refinish. Without a complete stripping and re-clear coating it will look like this...
th

Not terribly appealing IMO. Granted it DOES look nice initially but I've yet to find a clear coat that stands up to the harsh marine environment. For minimal maintenance and the "bling" factor, I'd say chrome but if the rest of the fitments are natural, leave it be and keep the Brasso handy.

Screw chrome.

Think powdercoat.

Green bronze means the boat has moved, and is not a static display.

Chrome in salt water???????????

If it must be different then the powder coating suggestion is a good one.

Chrome in salt water???????????

If it must be different then the powder coating suggestion is a good one.

most windless drums are chromed.. unless left native bronze and coated with something else.
HOLLYWOOD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom