Chain / rode stripper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pack Mule

TF Site Team
Vessel Name
Slo-Poke
Vessel Make
Jorgensen custom 44
I'm having some problems with my chain stripper . I have rope to chain splice . The problem is with the line . The stripper gets the chain out of th gypsy fine but sometimes it will not strip the line out . With this type of windlass should I use the spool for the line and the gypsy for the chain only .Most of the time it will strip the line but occasionally it will hang up .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 109
My combo rode gypsy has small teeth or barbs that act to grab the line portion of the rode. I can't tell from that shot, but it looks like a chain-only gypsy to me.

Thanks that might be my problem .I will try to get a better picture tonight of the gypsy . I have two of them .

Are either one of these gypsies a combination rope and chain . Sorry for two post .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 92
# 2

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 84
IT looks like an older model built just for chain , you will have to transfer the line when hauling line.

If its not blowing and you have moved over the anchor simply stepping on the anchor rode is usually enough for the transfer.

IT looks like an older model built just for chain , you will have to transfer the line when hauling line.

If its not blowing and you have moved over the anchor simply stepping on the anchor rode is usually enough for the transfer.
Thanks . Getting the line portion of the rode into the hawse hole is kinda cumbersome from the drum side and takes some time . Once I hit the chain it's no problem . Might be time to go to all chain or update my gypsy to a combination .

Mule, I think you either need to use the drum on the left to haul in your line or get a new wildcat as the the one on the right is designed for all chain rode. You have a combo windlass but need a combo wildcat. Not a bad combination to have really for your particular boat.

Via iPad using Trawler Forum

In most coastal cruising the line would not be subject to wave action washing it off the deck.

Our solution is to simply figure 8 the line on deck with a couple of short snoters to keep it moveable.

The water dries quickly and its ready to set in an instant , with no fear of hockles as it refuses to come up a tiny line hole.

We stow the line below when not using the boat , but get it up on deck before departing the dock.

Some boats use Dorades as line handlers to stow the line .

The line rides thru the chain stopper easily , which holds the anchor chain ( a few ft) from departing underway.

Anchored the line is secured to a bollard , not the Hyd capstan.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom