Canvas Snap Maintenance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deano

Vessel Name
Becca
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 44
I was trying to remove some canvas from the bridge area and many of the snaps were stuck tight enough that, even using a snap tool, I was afraid of damaging the canvas. Of course, all these are very near my nice Stratoglass. What would be a safe penetrant to use that won't harm the Stratoglass. One final question, what is a good product to keep these snaps working freely.
Your thoughts are appreciated.

I put just a tad of Vaseline on mine. Probably lots of better ways, though.

Don't use a penetrant near your Strataglass. You could try squirting whatever you use to clean it in there. Just keep gently working it loose. I used a tack puller tool, which ended up having all kinds of uses on the boat. This picture doesn't show it well, but the slightly curved tip acts as a mini crow bar.

images

Chapstick lip balm is commonly used to lube the snaps.

My first thought was the Imar stuff i use and it hasn't budged yet but repeated attempts may work. Thank you all for the great info. I don't want to be in a pre-storm situation trying to figure this out.

Just a suggestion, what ever you use, limit products with a petroleum base. They stain Sumbrella and are not good for clear window material such as Stratoglass. The Vaseline or Chapstick in small quantities applied primarily to the female portion of the snap, ( this has the metal spring material inside ). That's the part that holds the male part in place. Excessive pressure will weaken the material around the snap, usually the female part, requiring reinforcement repair to support the new snap.
Also, if your boat is exposed to Salt water, as most are, If you replace the snaps every few years, they will work better. Small pitting on the majority of snap fittings cause the fittings to corrode together. The cost for true stainless fittings runs 2-3 times that of the normal Crome fittings. A good snap fastener tool will pay for itself and make the job a lot faster. Hope that helps.

Once you get the snap free try some Bees wax as a lubricant.

It's what we used to use damn near everywhere on the ships I worked on. Especially good on zippers (cold water immersion suits) etc.

My snap tool works great everywhere but near the Stratoglass. There I'm really cautious. I wish the PO had taken these suggestions given for maintenance.

Beeswax. Bar soap.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

A spray of windx, or any compatible cleaner will act as lube to help remove them. Even plane water might work.

Bees wax works great and was recommended by my canvas maker. Be careful using something like a bar of soap as some types are very caustic.

Ken

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom