Photo Sub Forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
Any thoughts about adding one?

I take a ton of photos on the water and elsewhere. Other forums I am on have a dedicated section which is quite well used. Lots of photos, but also info on cameras and other equipment. Also folks post photos and ask for suggestions/criticism.

Thanks for the suggestion. You might consider adding an album or two to your profile...

You can add several albums on various topics if you like, document a refit or post great location images, etc. You can also control privacy on your albums. Those images are now displaying at the top of the page in a random rotation.

To add an album: >usercp >> Pictures and Albums

menzies,
You mean something different than "boat pics" and "interesting boats"?

menzies,
You mean something different than "boat pics" and "interesting boats"?

Absolutely.

Here:

Quiet weekend anchorage [first three]

Last weekend with niece and boyfriend from Ireland. [next three]

Trip two months ago to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons [the rest]

Attachments

• 2013081205.JPG
    2013081205.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 98
  • 2013081307.JPG
    2013081307.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 111
  • 2013081202.JPG
    2013081202.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 106
  • P1016206.jpg
    P1016206.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 108
  • P1016226.jpg
    P1016226.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 106
  • P1016198.jpg
    P1016198.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 112
  • P1015780.jpg
    P1015780.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 112
  • P1016014.jpg
    P1016014.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 105
  • P1016062.jpg
    P1016062.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 104
  • P1015924.jpg
    P1015924.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 110
There can also be more creative stuff like:

Attachments

• Caps.jpg
    Caps.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 127
  • Antelope Canyon.jpg
    Antelope Canyon.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 92
  • Conch House Pelicans.jpg
    Conch House Pelicans.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 92
  • Dark Fish.jpg
    Dark Fish.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 102
  • Gator Eye.jpg
    Gator Eye.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 100
  • Hairy Woodpecker.jpg
    Hairy Woodpecker.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 99
  • Passage At Anchor.jpg
    Passage At Anchor.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 102
  • School of Fish.jpg
    School of Fish.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 103
  • Thames.jpg
    Thames.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 90
  • P1090459.JPG
    P1090459.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 107
Is there any limit on the number of gigabytes or whatever of pictures that this forum can support. The OP just posted about 2 Mb of pictures. If all 11,000 members posted 2 Mb each that would be 20 Gb.

I belong to another forum that ran out of allowed storage data and had to stop pictures other than urls to outside cloud storage.

David

Is there any limit on the number of gigabytes or whatever of pictures that this forum can support. The OP just posted about 2 Mb of pictures. If all 11,000 members posted 2 Mb each that would be 20 Gb.

I belong to another forum that ran out of allowed storage data and had to stop pictures other than urls to outside cloud storage.

David

That is one of the things that they are checking.

In my experience today's storage capabilities are unlimited. So it should not be a problem. These days we deal in Terrabytes.

When I was on the Mod Squad we used to tell folks not to worry, there's more than enough bandwidth. Andy(owner) can buy more if it's needed.

That is one of the things that they are checking.

The answer is in. (See post #2). Janet H is our Site Administrator and offers alternatives to a dedicated sub forum in her post.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

On a similar note - would anyone be interested in an informal member run forum photo competition. Another forum I'm on runs one. Usually each one runs aboiut a month. Once one is run, the winner of each comp starts the subsequent comp [thread] and pics the subsequent comps theme/topic. Start a new thread titled "TF Photo Challenge 1, 2, 3, 4 etc" cut and paste the rules and past winners list, add yourself as the latest winner and post... new contest started. After designated time, OP chooses finalists and posts a poll. Winner is obvious (pol results) and takes a bow - then that winner starts the next comp [thread]. Ad infinitum. On the other board, each months winner doesn't enter his/her own competition (not a rule - just a sort of unspoken convention that's happened). They usually will post a pic or two to start the thread (illustrating the theme) but don;t enter the contest as such.

For interests sake - I'll paste what each winner is required to cut and past at start of each.
This Months topic is "<insert topic here>"

*RULES*

1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!

2. The host supplies a topic and you post 1-3 images. The judge will take either his favorite images, or those most praised throughout the submission phase, and place them in a poll. The 1st place winner then chooses the next topic, judges the winner and passes on the baton to the new champion.

3. Try to take the photo after the contest has opened. The entire point is to get us out into the world taking current pictures and sharing them. This will however not be enforced to a high degree. Ample time will be allowed to take the pictures. Archive photos can be no older than 90 days.

4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.

5. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.

6. As host, please add the name of your challenge to the bottom of the list.

7. If you wish to modify these rules for any challenge you post please bold the rule variants so that we can tell that the stipulations have changed.

8. Do not quote someone else's photo. This confuses people and is annoying. Instead refer to the photo by user name who uploaded it and photo name. If you need to quote a photo remove the IMG tag so that it shows as a link. Then modify the link so that the text displayed reads, "This photo belongs to *User who uploaded it*."

9. Originator WILL be entering his own photos. Subsequent winners may also do so if they wish. Please make it clear via this rule number when doing so.

Guidelines:

1. When posting your picture, you can change the Subject of your post to display your picture title.

2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).

3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~1024 pixels on the longest side works best.)

Past winners:
I. Macro – winner, Nash
II. Sky – winner, Daff
III. Portrait – winner, Oz
IV. Light - winner, Kokpit
V. Transportation – winner, Aircav
VI. Street Scenes – winner, Daff
Any interest?

Last edited:
The answer is in. (See post #2). Janet H is our Site Administrator and offers alternatives to a dedicated sub forum in her post.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

How do members know photos have been posted in these albums?

What about posts on equipment, techniques, critiques etc? Do they get posted to the album?

On a similar note - would anyone be interested in an informal member run forum photo competition. Another forum I'm on runs one. Usually each one runs aboiut a month. Once one is run, the winner of each comp starts the subsequent comp [thread] and pics the subsequent comps theme/topic. Start a new thread titled "TF Photo Challenge 1, 2, 3, 4 etc" cut and paste the rules and past winners list, add yourself as the latest winner and post... new contest started. After designated time, OP chooses finalists and posts a poll. Winner is obvious (pol results) and takes a bow - then that winner starts the next comp [thread]. Ad infinitum. On the other board, each months winner doesn't enter his/her own competition (not a rule - just a sort of unspoken convention that's happened). They usually will post a pic or two to start the thread (illustrating the theme) but don;t enter the contest as such.

For interests sake - I'll paste what each winner is required to cut and past at start of each.
Any interest?

Hmmm, any idea which screen name started that competition?

How do members know photos have been posted in these albums?

What about posts on equipment, techniques, critiques etc? Do they get posted to the album?

Menzies,

Check out your profile album. Any pics posted will be there.

If you want to discuss equipment, techniques etc, feel free to start a new thread in Off Topic. No doubt there are many folks here with similar interests.

My daughter shoots for Getty Images as a side job in DC. (Time Mag and NY Times in last couple of weeks) It's fascinating hearing her talk about the various shoots and personalities.

No sir, no photos in my album. I think any photos uploaded in normal postings go to a general server location.

Have you tried uploading to USER CP / PICTURES AND ALBUMS?

Have you tried uploading to USER CP / PICTURES AND ALBUMS?

What is the benefit of doing that? I will just be using them in one post, not referring to them or pointing to them from other places?

What is the benefit of doing that? I will just be using them in one post, not referring to them or pointing to them from other places?

The TF Site Team is just trying to help you find the place to post your pics for others to see. We also placed the photo display on the top of the main page for you. If you post your pics in the album, they will rotate through the display on the main page.

The TF Site Team is just trying to help you find the place to post your pics for others to see. We also placed the photo display on the top of the main page for you. If you post your pics in the album, they will rotate through the display on the main page.

I understand that, no complaints. I just don't see the value of maintaining an album. My suggestion of a forum was for conversation around photos, cameras etc. etc. not as a mechanism for any storage, I already have accounts for that.

But thanks for the consideration anyway.

M

If you think about it, this is a power boating forum. We also don't have sections for sock repair, auto driving techniques, RV gas mileage or cellphone comparisons.

We try to accommodate other interests to a limited degree. Anyone is free to start a thread on any topic in Off Topic or Off The Deep End.

Last edited:
I'll say it....I'm not interested in other's artsy photos on TF! This is a boating forum. I would rather see photos of one of us struggling to install a new impeller in a raw-water pump. Most TF members would benefit from that.

I'm a member of forums that explore photography(Nikonians) and shooting sports (1911 forum and others). I personally enjoy those subjects. Every time we bring up guns and boats on TF, the subject crashes and burns. Like it should. TF is a boating forum, not a gun forum.

The suggestion of adding images to your profile is a good one. Should a TF member want to look at your photo hobby, they will take a look. We all know that MurrayM from BC enjoys photography and it shows! Eric is another fine photographer, IMO.

Let's keep TF for boating...not unrelated topics such as photography, guns, etc.

This is my opinion and others may disagree and vote me into a different century:)! What say you!

I'll say it....I'm not interested in other's artsy photos on TF! This is a boating forum. I would rather see photos of one of us struggling to install a new impeller in a raw-water pump. Most TF members would benefit from that.

I'm a member of forums that explore photography(Nikonians) and shooting sports (1911 forum and others). I personally enjoy those subjects. Every time we bring up guns and boats on TF, the subject crashes and burns. Like it should. TF is a boating forum, not a gun forum.

The suggestion of adding images to your profile is a good one. Should a TF member want to look at your photo hobby, they will take a look. We all know that MurrayM from BC enjoys photography and it shows! Eric is another fine photographer, IMO.

Let's keep TF for boating...not unrelated topics such as photography, guns, etc.

This is my opinion and others may disagree and vote me into a different century:)! What say you!

?

Hasn't the decision already been made yesterday? Or did I miss something?

Just my opinion, menzies. Don't get too heated about it :). I noticed that your last post on the subject was at 10:47 am (my time) today...

Just my opinion, menzies. Don't get too heated about it :). I noticed that your last post on the subject was at 10:47 am (my time) today...

That would be the discussion on using Albums, not the discussion on having a new sub-forum, correct?

Heated? Because of what is posted on an Internet forum? There must be some unhinged people posting on here if that happens!

I don't see any heat (and it is my job to look for it). People disagree on the forum all the time, and so long as they do it nicely (and all this has been nice) that is normal behavior.

I was getting all excited. I love pictures of submarines. Although they kind of all look the same on the surface.

Maybe I read the title wrong.

I was getting all excited. I love pictures of submarines. Although they kind of all look the same on the surface.

Maybe I read the title wrong.

:) Funny.

I agree with Flywright's and Giggitoni's position. This is a boating forum. It's terrific that the format allows posters to include relevant photos with their posts about boating topics. Some of them are truly outstanding photos, and that's great.

But this isn't a photography forum. There are probably a zillion of those in existence already to say nothing of things like Photobucket. While there are a number of people on this forum who are interested in photography, and some like Murray who are professionals in the field, and who would be delighted to talk about all sorts of photography topics, the bottom line is that this isn't a forum about that subject.

We have an Off Topic "bucket" that can be used for just that--- discussions about things that don't have to do with boating. What the limitations may be with regard to how that bucket should be used I have no idea.

And as Flywright has pointed out, there is a mechanism for putting an album of one's favorite photos of any subject on the forum as an element of their profile.

For the last bunch of decades I have worked in commercial television and am currently a film/video producer/director as well as an author. If I want to discuss videography or editing or directing or writing techniques, equipment, etc. in a public forum environment, I'm going to go to a forum that is dedicated to those topics. If I want to discuss or read about boating subjects, and that can include looking at people's photos of boats and equipment and shots from cool voyages and Eric's pictures of anchors:), then I come to this forum.

So my opinion is that if a member of this forum wants to dig deep into displaying photos of birds and mountains and trees and talk about cameras and lenses and post-production photo treatment techniques and whatnot, then they should do so on a forum (or start one themselves) that is dedicated to those topics.

This one isn't it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom