Thanks for a great site from a new member

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coast1

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Glory
Vessel Make
Catalina 28
I have been following this site for years and finally jumped in and joined in by buying a boat. Now if you look up my profile you will see that I have a sailboat, I hope that is ok. I know one day I will own a trawler but for now I am learning about boating through a sailboat.
Thanks for a great site.

Welcome aboard

Welcome to the Trawler Forum!

I have been following this site for years and finally jumped in and joined in by buying a boat. Now if you look up my profile you will see that I have a sailboat, I hope that is ok. I know one day I will own a trawler but for now I am learning about boating through a sailboat.
Thanks for a great site.

That's OK... I have a sailboat too and no one has thrown rotten fruit yet ;)

Welcome to the forum!

Coast1, when Janet H welcomes you, that's special.

A sail boat is a great way to learn. Then you will appreciate a power boat all the more.:D

Now if you look up my profile you will see that I have a sailboat, I hope that is ok. I know one day I will own a trawler but for now I am learning about boating through a sailboat.

Lots of stuff on here that is applicable to both power boats and sailboats. For example, the new thread which recently was started (and kudos to those who started and are contributing to it) about canvas work (DIY CANVAS TIPS TRICKS . ..)

And then of course there are the never-ending arguments about anchors, wakes (the boating kind), and many many other fascinating subjects. :)

Oh -- and welcome aboard.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Ms. JH. Egad! A revelation. I'm sure no-one was aware of your transgressions...Who would have thunk?
hdk.gif

Thanks for a great site.

This is a great site. As a sailor I am learning lots about the mysteries of windless movement. Welcome.

Dave

That's OK... I have a sailboat too and no one has thrown rotten fruit yet ;)

Welcome to the forum!

...and being a banjo player, she knows rotten fruit when it's thrown her way! :hide:

Again thanks

You are all very generous with your sentiment, thanks.
Out here on the left coast we are privileged to have many areas to explore and one day both MJ and I hope to extend our explore beyond Vancouver, maybe on a trawler. For now we are thoroughly enjoying our time of learning and stretching our comfort zone.

I like fruit.

Graham

Welcome

Coast1 ...

I was surprised to see quite a few sailors convert to trawlers... :speed boat:

and openly admit they liked the switch! :dance:

Graham, welcome to the dark side.
And no worries about the type of boat your in right now. I'm sure it still has a motor, and from my travels in the PNW, more times than not, all sailboats motor more than sail.
Enjoy the water!

Thanks for a great site.

NO!!! No rag-boaters allowed! Get out! How did you even get in here? Somebody terminate his account, quick. Let this guy in and the next thing you know they'll start building trawlers with really awkward ladders down into the saloon, cockpits that need drains in heavy weather, drastically uncomfortable berths (still have a knot on my head from whacking the ceiling in the aft berth on that Jeanneau 45), and all the ports (windows) will turn into narrow slitty little things around the top edges of the saloon walls so you can't see outside unless you climb onto the settee. And hand-pump toilets (squee, squee, squee). And engines behind the salon stairs that are even more inaccessible than they are now. And keel bolts and chain plates that have to be replaced constantly. And million dollar props that need to collapse or feather when under sail. And stoves on gimbals so food doesn't tilt everywhere when you're heeling. And the only dining table you have on deck is some collapsible thing in the cockpit, so it becomes impossible to move anywhere once you have the table leaves up. [Shudder] Ugh, sailboats, get that guy out of here.

Oh, and instead of firing up 700 glorious thundering horses of power and spinning two big 24 inch shiny bronze propellers like the departure scene from Titanic, gliding out of my slip like the Queen Mary, I have to strain my neck and squint into the sun and risk skin cancer to constantly watch two little tiny pieces of yarn fluttering in the wind to make sure my telltales are lying flat on both sides of the sail. Perish the thought.

AND! I have to risk cracking my skull on the boom like a chicken's egg with an accidental jibe. Or those infernal rolling furlers that never stinking work properly. And good luck easily getting Granny on a sailboat, sugar scoop transom or not. Don't get me started. Masochist.

This is a great site. As a sailor I am learning lots about the mysteries of windless movement. Welcome.

Dave

Dave,

Unlike your avatar, trawler owners rarely have a need to dress in arctic winter clothes in summer so they can stand outside all leaned over at weird angles!!! Nothing better on the water than to stand on a horizontal sole in short sleeves holding a coffee mug!

Last edited:
Yup!! Gotta love those sailor outfits! But if you're gonna steer from outside at the ass end of your boat, you've got to dress for it. I prefer shorts and a t-shirt, thank you very much!

Of course, we welcome all sail-boaters with the knowledge that they are all on the same mission as the rest of us...the quest for comfort boating! The rest of us have just traveled the road earlier or faster or more directly than our wind-dependent brethren.

I can't compete with the rest of the welcomes, but, WELCOME ABOARD anyway!

Welcome from across the pond!
Don't worry about the sailboat, I think most started this way....I know we did......:thumb:

Welcome from across the pond!
Don't worry about the sailboat, I think most started this way....I know we did......:thumb:

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Like alcoholism and other life issues which often need to be addressed, the first step in fixing a problem is acknowledging that you have a problem. Kudos to our new 'sailor friends' who have come out of the canvas closet here on Trawler Forum. We're here for you, fellas!

The shortest road to recovery (and a comfortable boat) is the straight one. :D

Coast1 ...

I was surprised to see quite a few sailors convert to trawlers... :speed boat:

and openly admit they liked the switch! :dance:

Absolutely, no qualms re the change to motor, (as one ages, and one's children also get older, crouching gets harder and privacy more essential), but have many happy memories of our family's early sailing days. Some of the best...

Welcome aboard, Coast1! Having a blow boat on this forum is no problem at all......your choice of anchor, however, will result in more scrutiny that you ever imagined. :blush:

Thanks to all of you motor and canvas captains and crew.
What a great welcome, I have a feeling I'm going to continue to thoroughly enjoy your many contributions and I will take the veiled advice from Codger2 about my anchor choice. I know there is one on the boat but as to its heritage or ability to hold, I don't know.......yet. I'm still learning.

Graham

Back
Top Bottom