Looking for the simple life...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ajz944s

Good Morning Everyone. As per the title looking to simplify my life. My wife and I are both medical professionals who love boating, fishing, diving, and pretty much anything the water has to offer. We are looking to purchase a trawler as a live aboard as we have the luxury to travel with our careers and are young enough to do it! Have some experience in Grand Banks and Nordhavns. Mainly looking for advice, suggestions, and any other helpful hints or tips from the seaseoned trawler live aboard community. We will be starting off on the east coast of Florida as we live in Orlando now and moving on from there. Currently looking at a 50 ft Grand Banks Alaskan. Thank you all for your advice!

ajz - search previous posts. Multiple versions of these questions have been asked.

I think we should collect $1 from every one that asks a version of this. We could throw a kickass get together!!

Welcome aboard!
My version of simple is tying up to a nice marina with plenty of beverage and never leaving the dock. But that's not for me. I would rather go places, anchor, break and fix stuff, improve the boat as I go, and stop in nice towns for a couple days. It keeps the mind working, otherwise I would have to settle for the dream of doing it.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Re-read post #2 (in spite of post #3).

Then read the recently trending post "Replacing toilet waste hose." If you're still interested, the boat life may just be for you!

FYI, buying a boat is not the way to the "simple life". :D

That was exactly my first thought.

FWIW, I too am a "Medical Professional" and while I am doing better financially than the average here in the US, I can't just write those big checks for maintenance on my sailboat, let alone a Trawler with many more systems. Don't assume too much as far as their finances go.

Good luck to the OP. Sounds like a lot of fun and sounds as if this is the time of life to do it.

At the risk of sounding positive and upbeat, the prospect of living aboard a 50 foot Alaskan might entice the most resistant of us to go for the simple live-aboard life, no matter how complex it got. Best of luck in pursuing her dream and welcome aboard TF.

Last edited:
At the risk of sounding positive and upbeat, the prospect of living aboard a 50 foot Alaskan might entice the most resistant of us to go for the simple live-aboard life, no matter how complex it got. Best of luck in pursuing her dream and welcome aboard TF.

Right on!

Don't get me wrong, full time cruising on a nice big boat is absolutely wonderful, but I just wouldn't characterize it as "simple" !

Right on!

Don't get me wrong, full time cruising on a nice big boat is absolutely wonderful, but I just wouldn't characterize it as "simple" !

Yeah, an apartment on land could be simple. Boats that one owns, not so much.

Keeps my mind agile though (I tell myself)... and only hurts after I do a chore that needs close access in a skinny place (like daily). And all those new skills I've "learned" (or at least tried)!

-Chris

Right on!

:thumb:

I'll add, go for it!

But just go for it with your eyes wide open and your rose colored glasses in there case in your pocket.

Last edited:
Welcome, It's a lot of fun and there are lots of great cruising grounds not far from you East, West, and South.
Good luck on the boat search!

I guess it all depends on what you consider simple, right?
Depending own what level of medical professional you may be, fixing stuff on a trawler would be considerably more stress relieving than say, oh, brain surgery.

Folks, regardless of what you do for a living, if you're blessed enough to start cruising at a younger age, and especially if your vocation allows you to mix the two, then by all means, go for it!!:thumb:

Oh, and welcome aboard.

OD

Even if you can "pen" a check for any maintenance, you still have find someone to do the work, schedule the boat in the yard, get it hauled, see that it is done right, etc., etc.

I saw a video online from some guy that was getting his new Azimut sorted out. Took about two years of work. At times there were significant waits to get the right guy on the boat to do the actual work. Apparently you shouldn't try to get your fancy boat fixed during boat show season.

If that's the simple life, you can have it.

Good luck! I think you have the spirit and desire for a liveaboard situation. Maybe think in terms of something a little more modest until you see if you and momma agree this is the way you want to live for a few years or longer.

Good luck! I think you have the spirit and desire for a liveaboard situation. Maybe think in terms of something a little more modest until you see if you and momma agree this is the way you want to live for a few years or longer.

Great advise:thumb:

I just wouldn't characterize it as "simple" !

On the other hand, we have no idea what their lives are like now.
They may know exactly what simple is.

To ajz944s;
Why does it have to be in Florida?
There are simple lifestyles and places on the water all over and many would be happy to welcome a couple of young medical professionals.
I can suggest a couple...

Attachments

• Rivers Inlet 2.jpg
    Rivers Inlet 2.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 73
  • Rivers Inlet.jpg
    Rivers Inlet.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 69
  • Bedwell Bay.jpg
    Bedwell Bay.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 71
Last edited: