Halvorsen 57 custom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liberty2015

Vessel Name
Liberty
Vessel Make
57 foot Halvorsen
Hi,

Our vessel Liberty is a custom F/G Halvorsen 57. We have some photo's of her on our page under albums.
She was built in 1990 for a local Sydney Businessman and kept at Halvorsens home at Bobbin head just North of Sydney.
Mark Halvorsen was the project manager on her, And I met with Mark last year to discuss the vessel and he kindly gave me a heap photo's taken during construction, he is a great bloke. Mark said the original owner had the vessel and it's equipment over engineered, for instant we had an issue with the anchor winch and when doing repairs we discovered it was custom built for the boat by Muir's in that the gear box was a one off , geared right down for strength. We keep coming across this as we refurbish the vessel.

There are plenty of Halvorsen,s here in Sydney mostly timber, but a few nice Glass ones. I will dig up some photo's and post here in the near future.

Regards Chris D Liberty

Sure is a great looking boat when you get a chance share some more pics of the inside

Attachments

• hav.jpg
    hav.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 182
Halvorsen 57

sure no problems , will see what I can do over the weekend.

Cheers Chris D Liberty

Chris, where was Liberty built? Is the hull fibreglass? I remember a late build Halvorsen at a Classic Boat Show, it was in steel.
Discussing my (? one off) foam sandwich decks with Mark H, he told me IG hulls f/g were built in mainland China and finished in Hong Kong. He could not help me about my decks, revealing (ahem) he was "still at school" when she was built, but he had visited the mainland China facility later.

Halvorsen 57

Hi Bruce K

Yes Liberty's hull is Fibreglass. I have emailed Mark Halvorsen this afternoon and asked him just to confirm the exact details of where she was built, ie HK from memory.

The Steel vessel you refer to I think is Thalasa , she was designed by one of the cousins , but is not a Halvorsen as in the true sense . It was moored along side my previous vessel at the last Wooden boat show in Darling Harbour in 2012. I used to own a vessel called Suellen a 50 foot timber bridge deck cruiser built in 1956 designed by Clive capon and built by Swanson bros and Solomon bros.

Will update you when Mark gets back to me.

Cheers Chris D Liberty

Thank you Chris. I think we went aboard Suellen at the 2012 Show, I remember a polished timber passageway going aft with cabins either side, and a proud friendly owner. If memory serves, she had undergone significant restoration, to a high standard.

Yes Liberty's hull is Fibreglass. I have emailed Mark Halvorsen this afternoon and asked him just to confirm the exact details of where she was built, ie HK from memory.

Will update you when Mark gets back to me.
Don't hold your breath while you wait....:whistling:

Halvorsens

Hi Codger,

Have you had experience with Halvorsens previously ?

Cheers Chris D Liberty

Don't hold your breath while you wait....:whistling:
I`d hazard a guess Mark`s expertise is sales. Admin, follow up, etc, not so sure. What is his relationship to Harvey H ?

Mark is Harvey's son. He lived in Hong Kong for while managing the builds over there. He now imports and is distributor for Selene and Halvorsen designed boats.

Liberty 2015

Halvorsen 57

Chris, where was Liberty built? Is the hull fibreglass? I remember a late build Halvorsen at a Classic Boat Show, it was in steel.
Discussing my (? one off) foam sandwich decks with Mark H, he told me IG hulls f/g were built in mainland China and finished in Hong Kong. He could not help me about my decks, revealing (ahem) he was "still at school" when she was built, but he had visited the mainland China facility later.

Hi Bruce K,

Mark Halvorsen got back to me today, he is actually in HK on business, but he has confirmed Liberty was Built at their Factory there in HK on Tsing Yi Island North which is about 12 km from the CBD. Liberty was actually penned by Trevor Gowland , a long time employee of Halvorsen in his office at Bobbin Head Sydney. All Sea trials were undertaken by Mark in HK. The project was project managed jointly by Mark, Trevor, and the production Manager Robert Leung.

Cheers Chris D Liberty

Chris, you are fortunate to have the history surrounding the build of your boat. I sometimes think it is sad we have largely lost the Halvorsen organization, save for Mark`s importation business, I suppose it parallels the car industry. It amazes me that Riviera(after a near death experience) and Maritimo, seem to be in good shape and competing well in a labor intensive industry.

Hi Bruce,

Where do you keep your lovely IG ?
Not quite so lovely close up, she`s at the slightly rustic Dolphin Marina at Brooklyn, we like it, and only occasionally do you hear banjo music. Easy getting there from home. Previously, 5 years on a swing mooring near Riverview College. I intend joining RMYC, just need to get round to it.
Where is Liberty kept?

Bruce we keep Liberty at Rowell marine Newport. I am a member at the RMYC Newport it is a great club. Berths have a bit of a waiting list depending on size.

Ah, well, there you are Bruce. Someone to nominate you for membership. That's a start.

Ah, well, there you are Bruce. Someone to nominate you for membership. That's a start.
Andy G is a member, he berths there. I know another member. Hoping it`s not like when I joined RSYS (Royal Sydney) back when I had a (sail) yacht. You had to be invited, were interviewed by a committee member with your moving sponsor, etc, fortunately I towed the boat the committee member crewed on back to the Club a week before (no wind and their motor died), reinforcing my view that altruistic good deeds have their own reward.
I don`t think RMYC is so exclusive, but it is a very nice Club with good facilities, and obviously has good members. I just need to get myself moving. I`m not planning berthing there, road access to Brooklyn on the M1 works better than crossing Sydney to reach Newport on Pittwater.

Bruce,

RMYC is a fairly relaxed club with great facilities. As a member you can arrange to berth on the outside finger overnight at no cost up to once a month, go in and have a meal/night at the club, although you need to book ahead.

cheers Chris D

When I lived in Sydney I crewed for a friend (on a yacht) who was a member of Royal Sydney - very old world experience -snooty is a word that comes to mind although the facilities and the location were fantastic (car parking was a little tight if I remember)

CYC at Rushcutters was the more real world club - probably a little "loud" for the Royal set.

Great fun racing on Saturdays on the harbour though - great fun with all the other clubs running their races with overlapping courses, the ferries then the 18 footers, plus the southerly buster for the unwary - rarely time for a beer - well almost.

RSYS is one of the "best' Clubs in NSW, yacht or not, and expensive. When I stopped sailing I stopped my membership. Polished mahogany, carpet, fine dining, the lot, though it did have a casual side as well. They were good race organizers and had a good shipwright service.
CYC helps a little Club I`m in run annual regattas, definitely less snooty.They run the famous Sydney-Hobart race. Another Club, Middle Harbor Y.C. is aka Middle Class Y.C.
George, you are so right about intersecting racing courses operated by about 4 Clubs on Saturdays, and the Harbor generally. I had to be so alert out there I could/had to banish work issues from my mind, that was a relief.

A
I don`t think RMYC is so exclusive, but it is a very nice Club with good facilities, and obviously has good members. I just need to get myself moving. I`m not planning berthing there, road access to Brooklyn on the M1 works better than crossing Sydney to reach Newport on Pittwater.

Yes, RMYC is not an 'exclusive' club at all. They are a pretty inclusive mob up in Pittwater. Heck they even let me join 20 odd years ago.

Bruce an interesting point about access to Brooklyn compared to Pittwater from your place. Two things, I suspect the mooring fees are cheaper up at Brooklyn than the RMYC. Sarawana is about $10K per year. Secondly Brooklyn is well up into the Hawksbury, well situated for an up river jaunt and access to Cowan creek and all those excellent waterways.

I have been away for a while and to give myself a treat on return spent four days going up to Wiseman's ferry and surrounds on the mighty boat, beautiful cold crisp days.Next week another treat, off to Cottage Point Inn for a birthday bash with a probable overnight in Smith's Creek.

By the way there are some big expansion plans afoot at the club, a whole new marina arm is being planned(another hike in fees?)

Hi Andy, good having you back.
Our berthing is $7560 pa, with no electricity limit. We can be at Refuge Bay in about 35 minutes, and Jerusalem Bay under an hour.
Maybe the extra marina arm will be self funding.

New Swim Platform

Hi Guy's

we have just completed adding a hydraulic Swim Platform to the stern of Liberty to house our new Brig 380 tender with a 50 hp Honda. It is so simple to use, launching and retrieving the tender in a approx. 1 min. The platform lowers up to 450 mm into the water and then allows us to take the platform up to 720mm above the water. The other advantage is we now have the weight low down in the vessel instead of on the fly bridge. Australian Davits and Cranes were our choice after investigating the different types on the market. The advantage as we see it is that the system does not have any hydraulic rams that can get out of sinc, issues with sea growth etc. The ADC works on a sealed rotary hydraulic motor driving and large spindle that rotates to raise and lower both arms together. ADC were extremely good to work with and we designed it up , had shop drawings produced and approved, took templates and had the Fibreglass platform custom built by Jeff Taylor Fibreglass.
The mechanism was beefed up in capacity and is rated to lift 1200 kg which includes the mechanism at 287kg , the fibreglass platform at 250kg and tender at approx. 300 kg.
I will try and include photo's for you to view.

Cheers Chris D Liberty.

Attachments

• IMG_5718.jpg
    IMG_5718.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_5714.jpg
    IMG_5714.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_5708.jpg
    IMG_5708.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 100
[B said:
BruceK;363157]
I don`t think RMYC is so exclusive, but it is a very nice Club with good facilities, and obviously has good members. I just need to get myself moving.
[/B]

I'm surprised RT Firefly has not given us the obvious retort,I will deputise for him.

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." Groucho Marx

Back
Top Bottom