View Single Post
Old 08-26-2015, 11:09 AM   #33
Nomad Willy
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Ski wrote re someone else;
"No, it is probably not friction in the hydraulic system itself, but friction in things like rudder post and hydrodynamic loads on rudder. I am not familiar with that brand, but am with other brands and with boat dockside it is easy to turn wheel lock to lock. There is some friction, but there will be in any syst"

When I had push-pull cable steering in my Willard I could steer the boat w one finger. Now it takes two hands and arms. A big part of this is that I've got the Capilano helm pump adjusted to 2.5 turns L to L. I like the fast steering in following seas and in harbor. But the huge increase in steering effort must be in the hydraulic system. And my hose is considerably larger than usual. I took one look at what is usually used for hyd hose on boats and went to a shop that sells diggers and other heavy equipment and bought orange hose that is probably 4 times the ID of the glossy black hose usually used. I was of a mind that was saying larger ID hose would mean less hyd fluid velocity and lower friction and lighter steering.

As I have said before I think the high friction is from the large shafts and seals. Also the larger cylinder piston .. I assume.

However I'm sure it's not form the rudder port, rudder or hydrodynamics of the rudder itself. The steering is just as hard tied to the float.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote