I'm a new member with a Leopard 37 Powercat in Cape Coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David Hughes

Vessel Make
Cobalt 246
Ok, I know a catamaran isn't really a trawler, but this boat gets great mileage like one, and is slow like one, and is generally used like one. I hope that counts. : )

After owning nothing bigger than a 25' Cobalt on our lake house in Georgia, in recent years my wife and I started chartering a couple times a year, first from swfyachts in Cape Coral, then from Moorings in Abaco. In order to get out more than twice a year, we decided to buy our own boat and offer occasional bareboat charter. With a tax break, the math works nicely with only $24K of annual revenue.

We learned early on that we preferred catamarans because of the less rolly motion, so after spending time on a Moorings 393, I ID'd a 2009 372 coming off charter. The boat spent all its 5 years in Abaco and had 2700 hours of use. They brought the boat back themselves to Ft. Lauderdale and paid the import duty so it could be sold easily to a U.S. buyer. The survey was just fine, and assessed for $25K more than I paid. I got her on June 2 and we had a fun 3 days coming through the Okeechobee Waterway bringing the True Love ( I named her after the "yar" sloop that Bing Crosby and Grace Kelly had in the movie High Society) home to Cape Harbour Marina in Cape Coral. For those who have not been, let me just say that Roland Martin's Marina was a genuine slice of Americana!

We did $20K more of updating and servicing and now she's a sparking beauty! My fiendish plot to get more time on the water must be working, because since June we've now used her 4 times already. I love it when a plan comes together!

We're taking her to Key West in a few weeks. I've never been out of sight of land before as skipper, so with me luck!!!!

David in Marietta, GA ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1440556622.382934.jpg

David Hughes
2009 Leopard 37 Powercat for charter in Cape Coral, FL
Florida Catamaran Charter the "True Love"

Best of luck!

Welcome aboard :)

Gotta love it when dreams come together!

Welcome to the TF your a few hours South of me in your marina and a few hours North of me with your dirt home

I see your going to be charting it

Welcome! We see a number of power cats here, Voyager is popular. How do you cope with the beam, for mooring, hauling, things like that, they can be beamy.

Occasionally experience a "rolling" anchorage. Thinking it helps one to sleep. Rock a by baby ...

Prefer that to "upsies downsies."

Last edited:
Welcome aboard! Nice to have more Florida folks. A word of warning, don't mention anchors or guns. You'll start an argument that never ends. Watch out for RT Firefly. He's a little nuts but funny. If you ever get to Miami stop by my store and say hello.

Ok, I know a catamaran isn't really a trawler, but this boat gets great mileage like one, and is slow like one, and is generally used like one. I hope that counts. : )

After owning nothing bigger than a 25' Cobalt on our lake house in Georgia, in recent years my wife and I started chartering a couple times a year, first from swfyachts in Cape Coral, then from Moorings in Abaco. In order to get out more than twice a year, we decided to buy our own boat and offer occasional bareboat charter. With a tax break, the math works nicely with only $24K of annual revenue.

We learned early on that we preferred catamarans because of the less rolly motion, so after spending time on a Moorings 393, I ID'd a 2009 372 coming off charter. The boat spent all its 5 years in Abaco and had 2700 hours of use. They brought the boat back themselves to Ft. Lauderdale and paid the import duty so it could be sold easily to a U.S. buyer. The survey was just fine, and assessed for $25K more than I paid. I got her on June 2 and we had a fun 3 days coming through the Okeechobee Waterway bringing the True Love ( I named her after the "yar" sloop that Bing Crosby and Grace Kelly had in the movie High Society) home to Cape Harbour Marina in Cape Coral. For those who have not been, let me just say that Roland Martin's Marina was a genuine slice of Americana!

We did $20K more of updating and servicing and now she's a sparking beauty! My fiendish plot to get more time on the water must be working, because since June we've now used her 4 times already. I love it when a plan comes together!

We're taking her to Key West in a few weeks. I've never been out of sight of land before as skipper, so with me luck!!!!

David in Marietta, GAView attachment 43570

David Hughes
2009 Leopard 37 Powercat for charter in Cape Coral, FL
Florida Catamaran Charter the "True Love"

Hi David,

Lovely looking boat; you've got a leopard, I've got a tiddly little Cheetah. Lol.

Good luck with your purchase; I'm sure you're going to have lots of fun.

What sort of numbers do get in the cruise?

Welcome, David, from another cat fancier here in Jacksonville. Leopards are an interesting breed of cat, and yours looks great. It might be interesting for folks to know the boundaries of your charter area.

Meanwhile, safe travels on your trip to Key West. No matter where you tie up there, I think you'll find it slightly different from the Roland Martin Marina in Clewiston, FL ("The Sweetest Town in the USA")!

Beam is 14' 8", and that's less than the Mainship 43 I recently drove. She fits in almost any standard slip. I think the extra space is more from having that beam stem to stern, as opposed to just being super beamy.

Welcome, David, from another cat fancier here in Jacksonville. Leopards are an interesting breed of cat, and yours looks great. It might be interesting for folks to know the boundaries of your charter area.

Meanwhile, safe travels on your trip to Key West. No matter where you tie up there, I think you'll find it slightly different from the Roland Martin Marina in Clewiston, FL ("The Sweetest Town in the USA")!

Charter boundaries are limited only by what we agree upon. My insurance is good out 150 miles and I have TowBoatUS Unlimited. Of course I have a secret GPS mounted in the boat to track where she goes. :)

Slow cruise at 8 knots she burns about 3gph. Faster cruise is about 14 knots at about 8gph.

I'd take 14kts at 8gph all day long!!!

Welcome aboard!!!

Welcome aboard, Dave. There's plenty of catamaran people here, and I personally have been a fan of Leopard catamarans for sometime now. They are high-quality, efficient hulls, and I believe that most if not all 37 footers came across on their own bottom. That's confidence! Keep in touch and let us know how much fun you're having a board your new vessel.

Welcome aboard, Dave. There's plenty of catamaran people here, and I personally have been a fan of Leopard catamarans for sometime now. They are high-quality, efficient hulls, and I believe that most if not all 37 footers came across on their own bottom. That's confidence! Keep in touch and let us know how much fun you're having a board your new vessel.

Yes, one of neatest things so far was finding the log book signed by the delivery captain. She was driven from Cape Town with 3 people and a 400 gallon bladder of diesel on the foredeck. She went up the coast of Africa then west to St Helena island where Napoleon is buried. Refilled the bladder then another 1600NM to Fortaleza Brazil and finally into Marsh Harbor, Bahamas. They drive it on one motor at a time, half throttle. Had 600 hours on each engine before The Moorings ever took possession. Now that is a sea trial!!!

You would think Moorings would buy multiple units at a time for the Bahamas and Caribbean and have them shipped - not sure what the cost trade off is compared to this method?

You would think Moorings would buy multiple units at a time for the Bahamas and Caribbean and have them shipped - not sure what the cost trade off is compared to this method?

Agreed. It's about $30K to ship from France so S Africa might be just a bit more. They spent about $5k in gas plus 3 salaries for a month and then the extra wear and tear too. It's a point of pride for them I think.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom