Old 08-25-2015, 07:55 AM   #25
Brooksie
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Have chain gear reduction to shaft pittman arm in the dive boat (Bruno & Stillman). With a balanced rudder, there is no easier (least effort) steering. Can literally steer with 1 finger at 8 knots, no cranking a hydraulic pump while docking (single screw). Far fewer failure points than hydraulic. Only thing replaced in 40 years are the 2 tie rod ends twice and the 2 reduction chains (rusty, replaced with nickel plated). The AP is a hydraulic cylinder tied to the rudder arm that uses a typical AP pump. The system has an electric hydraulic valve. Energized, the pump is tied to the cylinder. Deenergized the valve ties the cylinder ports together so that the cylinder moves freely. I run on AP 80% of the time without a problem.
That is the same system, same boat too, that gave me the problem with the AP as mentioned above. The difference is that my AP was connected to the helm so it had to deal with the wrap-up of that long shaft (pipe) going back to the pitman arm. I think that is what confused the AP. Hated to remove the old system b/c as you said, dead simple and reliable.
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote