GPS-USB/PC Navigation System "Windows 7"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rob

Vessel Name
Lady Anne
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen KK42
I have recently upgraded my PC for the Navigation system aboard the boat. The new PC runs on a Windows 7 operating system, the old PC ran on an XP operation system. I am having problems getting the Windows 7 system to recognize my Magellan eXplorist XL hand held GPS. I've searched here and there for a USB-Serial Driver for Windows 7 that is specifically for a NEMA Device. I can connect to my old Garmin 120 that is my primary GPS but I can't connect to the Magellan GPS that is my back up device. Both GPS's work just fine on the old XP sys.

We have a new Dell with Windows 7 that our 12+ year old Chart view and Garmin GPS load OK. **Windows & does have some glitches and the reason at work we do not allow on company computers.* Have not had any trouble with the Dell.**

If I had problems I would give it to my IT/Date person to fix.
biggrin.gif

I run a mac for my computer and for my laptop GPS so can't say what is up with windows 7 but definitely sounds like a driver problem.

I am just taking a WAG here and have no clue....BUT...have you looked into the settings of the Magellen??? I have never owned a Magellen but I do remember on the Garmins that there were numerous settings for the NMEA interface. Maybe the Garmin works because it covers "both bases"(both operating systems) automatically but the Maggy needs to be manually set to something that is unique to Windows 7????

The problem most definitely is with the Driver. I have been in contact with Magellan, but I am really having a tough time communicating with there help deck in India. They are like talking to a wall via a keyboard. The Magellan is set up exactly the same as the old Garmin. The garmin is a VERY old, very DUMP unit where as the Magellan is very modern and much smarter. Again yesterday I tested both GPS's on the old XP computer with out any problems on both units. The reason that I replaced the old XP PC was the the screen wasn't bright enough for use in the sunlight of the pilot house. The New Windows 7 PC has a back lit LED/LCD screen which is very bright.
Thanks, Rob
"Lady Anne"
La Conner, Wa,/Girdwood, Ak.

My next suggestion would be to get a GPS "puck"(ie deLorme) for $40 and be done with it.

Back
Top Bottom