doucumentation never renewed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

almostheaven

Vessel Name
Almostheaven
Vessel Make
1984 3207 aft cabin Carver
Has anyone ever let their documented vessel lapse and then try to sell it? My NY registration does say Transferable ???? The boat
Is a 3207 aft cabin carver 1984

I assume the boat is state registered with a title or certificate of registration.

I think if you don't renew is gets dropped from documentation. If you look it up in the database, does it show up and what is the status?

For a boat of any substance, I would expect the state to issue a title for a non-documented boat, and presumably you don't have that, nor do you have valid documentation.... hummmm.

I'd probably file to get the documentation reinstated, and do it well in advance of selling. I expect a lot of people will walk away if the title/documentation isn't in order.

Last edited by a moderator:
A clear chain of ownership should be established.

A clear chain of ownership should be established.

Yes...Have heard several cases where a lapse happened and not clear paperwork established a USCG satisfactory trail and it was a mess.

According to one page at the NYS DMV site any boat newer than 1987 or longer than 14 ft you need to have it titled in NY before it can be transferred in NY. Go to the NYS DMV site and in the search bar type in boat title and several links will pop up for various boat related requirements. There is also a phone number some where on the website that you can call to ask questions. I used it not long ago when selling a boat and trailer but I don't know where on the site it is. Good Luck

According to one page at the NYS DMV site any boat newer than 1987 or longer than 14 ft you need to have it titled in NY before it can be transferred in NY. Go to the NYS DMV site and in the search bar type in boat title and several links will pop up for various boat related requirements. There is also a phone number some where on the website that you can call to ask questions. I used it not long ago when selling a boat and trailer but I don't know where on the site it is. Good Luck

Usually if you read further there are exceptions for USCG Documented vessels, just at there are exceptions around state registration for the same. States can require you to register and require a sticker, but they are prohibited from requiring bow numbers, and you are not allowed to display them if your boat is documented.

Just trying to point the OP in the right direction.

Thanks for the responses, the boat is NY state registered and the title was forfitted. I was required to have it documented when I bought it approx. 15 years ago,since it was financed. It is now time to look for a trawler :) Do you think it would be faster to surrender the documentation or get it reinstated?

Thanks for the responses, the boat is NY state registered and the title was forfitted. I was required to have it documented when I bought it approx. 15 years ago,since it was financed. It is now time to look for a trawler :) Do you think it would be faster to surrender the documentation or get it reinstated?
I don't think it will be a big deal to get it reinstated if you were the last documented owner and can show continuous ownership through state registrations.

It would be easier for you than the next owner...and less annoyingl than you being called numerous times to provide paperwork so they can get the documentaion.

The biggest issue would be the fees that you have to pay.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom