View Single Post
Old 08-18-2015, 04:18 PM   #6
DavidM
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
For your plan to work, the boat must fit a very specific mission. Say a liveaboard couple who likes to cruise a lot in protected waters. Maybe someone who wants to do the loop once or twice where the better fuel consumption would be meaningful.

One hundred and sixteen horsepower in a 40,000+ lb boat is marginal for anything but inshore waters, like the great loop. I wouldn't take that boat across to the Bahamas for example.

That specific boat you referenced on the broker's site is a dock queen. With no side decks and the high sides, I wouldn't try to dock that boat unless I had two dock hands standing by to grab lines.

Having run a gasser slow with a Flowscan I can tell you that they burn a lot of fuel at slow- 1,500 rpm speeds. You have a big engine that has a lot of internal friction and is sucking its combustion air through a very small throttle opening making very few horsepower. I'll bet the specific fuel consumption is twice or more what a small diesel would be.

So how about taking out the noisy DD 4-53 engines in a Hatteras LRC and putting your two babies in. Should be interesting. But you aren't going to buy one for $27K.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote