Mainship 47?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sev323

I have been looking at the Mainship 47 made in the 1990's. I don't find many for sale. Did they not build very many or is there a problem with this model? Looking to do a two year cruise from Florida Bahama maybe down to Yucatan.

Welcome to the Trawler Forum!

Welcome Aboard!...although, I have no answer for your question, sorry, lol.

I have been looking at the Mainship 47 made in the 1990's. I don't find many for sale. Did they not build very many or is there a problem with this model? Looking to do a two year cruise from Florida Bahama maybe down to Yucatan.

Most of them were built with twin gas big blocks. Not a very economical choice for a long range cruiser. These boats have huge saloons, I would classify them as a floating condo.

Holy cow, yes please. That seems like a darn good price as well!

I was thinking the same thing a lot of boat for the money would love to see a survey on that

Hmmm... at that price it sounds to good to be true. I would definitely want to see a survey, including a diesel mechanic's opinion.

Hmmm... at that price it sounds to good to be true. I would definitely want to see a survey, including a diesel mechanic's opinion.

Makes me think of a boat I looked at in Titusville, FL once. The photos showed a hull polished so highly that you could see a reflection of the photographer. Drove hours to see it. When I got there there was a bird's nest on the helm inside the broken windshield. But maybe that really is what that boat looks like.

Most of them were built with twin gas big blocks. Not a very economical choice for a long range cruiser. These boats have huge saloons, I would classify them as a floating condo.

Ooops, I was thinking of the 41' Grand Salon. That 47 has diesels and does look nice. Would wonder why it needed majors on both engines after only 2,000 hours.

Ooops, I was thinking of the 41' Grand Salon. That 47 has diesels and does look nice. Would wonder why it needed majors on both engines after only 2,000 hours.

I was about to say...I have never seen one of these without diesels.

Detroits with a hp to CID ratio of 1:1 are 2000 hour engines if they have been run hard. I don't know what engines this boat has in it. I have a friend with a sportfish that has 8v92s@750hp with 2200 hours. They are right there on the edge but he budgeted for them when he bought the boat.

Edit....I am just seeing that these have 671@485hp. And that is the 1:1 I was talking about. If you did not know, the Detroit nomenclature ie 671....the 6 is the number of cylinders and the 71 is the number of cubic inches per cylinder.

Last edited:
I appreciate everybody's input, but the 47's performance and quality still seems to be a mystery.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom