Trawler owners with Sailing history.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Woodsong wrote:

My kids and I are BIG saliors!! We still own our sailboat, Little Sunshine, in addition to our trawler. Here are a few pics of our sailing vessel- we LOVE it!

img_35236_0_fcc5306e1342d4ac5a7673d3ddde6135.jpg

img_35236_1_eca70318397f6737ef32f7fa9230196e.jpg

img_35236_2_d87b4b3840adfe23a56f4a041d6e7ede.jpg

Like I said, and as you can tell from the pics, we are big sailors and accustomed to some of the largest sailing vessels available in the world! *
smile.gif
As you can see from the pics (a few years old right now), I was heavily into my/our Pirate phase, thus the larger beard! *
smile.gif

-- Edited by Woodsong on Wednesday 29th of December 2010 09:41:21 PM
Woodsong-** Great pics, awesome crew!** The boat looks like an 11' Snark I had back in 69.** Great fun - everything was in 1969 -at least I think so. lol

Happy New Year**** John and Miri**** "Adagio"

Even though we be Pirates, ye be seein' that we be usin' suncreen!
cowboy.gif

Sail for sure ,always liveaboard, Li Sound , Bermuda , the Carib, PR, ST Thomas to T-dad a bunch of times.

Still have a sailing ocean cruiser as well as the Benateau fun toy as well as our 50 ft lobster conversion.

Joys of owning dirt in FL is the ability to store 300+ ft of toys for free as well as have room for visitors .

-- Edited by FF on Thursday 30th of December 2010 05:38:27 AM

FF wrote:

Sail for sure ,always liveaboard, Li Sound , Bermuda , the Carib, PR, ST Thomas to T-dad a bunch of times.

Still have a sailing ocean cruiser as well as the Benateau fun toy as well as our 50 ft lobster conversion.

Joys of owning dirt in FL is the ability to store 300+ ft of toys for free as well as have room for visitors .

-- Edited by FF on Thursday 30th of December 2010 05:38:27 AM
Wow, With that much waterfront you have really slashed one of the big costs of boating ( Slip fees ).** I suppose with 3 yachts your insurance bills in Fla are pretty high.*** I have a friend with dock space for "Adagio" in Hope Sound FLa.* I should head South at least one Winter before fuel hits 10. a gallon or I reach my expiration date.* A side trip to your Place for a few days would be cool.

Happy New Year***** John snd Miri**** "Adagio"*** Toms River* NJ

Baker wrote:

Hey Hollywood, I think it is called an "affliction"!!!!....
smile.gif

The admiral refers to it as my "nauti" habit...

I don't disagree!

HOLLYWOOD

Old Stone wrote:

Good thread. Made me have to think for a while. Let's see....Started with 17' Day Sailor, then 31' sloop, then 30' antique Elco cruiser, then 28' Bayliner cruiser, then 31' sloop, then 45' Nova Scotia wooden ketch, then a 36' Albin trawler, now 40' Egg Harbor flush deck and the 49' MT widebody. OK, certifiably insane. Won't count the little ones, but we all have small sailing dinghies which we have loads of fun with at the marina. Final verdict for me......trawlers rule! Too spoiled with the space to go back full time to sail. Funny though how often our died-in-the-wool sailor friends (all over 40 footers) will be aboard for a local cruise and eventually say, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...maybe one day we'll switch over to this. Truth be told around here, sailing for the past several years has been quite limited and frustrating for the long runs and planned vacations. Seems about 80% of the time they have to motor because lack of wind if they are going to meet their schedules. Have to admit though, some of my best memories were aboard "Sea Witch", the ketch, usually alone (no one else to worry about), but in heavy weather. She could take anything with that Nova Scotia blood in her.

Carl,* Amazing how many boats everyone has had!* Sailing alone is also a fond memory of mine- you are so right about not having to worry about how others are doing.* A little selfish but true.

Happy New Year**** John and Miri* +* "Adagio"

Like y'all* plenty of years sailing and owning sail boats, but the Admiral doesn't care much for the 'Cave Effect' John mentioned, and as we have gained a few years we seem to spend more 'in' the boat than 'on' the boat, so they MY makes more sense.* We have so much more room in our 43' power boat than our friends have in their 60' sailboat is't amazing.* We do have a 10' sailing dink on the roof that is a blast though!

Your Right,* No one is a big fan of the "Cave Effect".* Trawlers and Sailboats both cruise at a sedate pace. so their owners understand their simularities.* What I am trying to say is most folks with 40knot+* powerboats* would be bored to tears on a trawler. For any length of time.*

Happy New Year**** John and Miri********** "Adagio"** Toms River** NJ

All this talk about this sailing stuff seems to have struck a warm chord amongst even the most hardcore trawler aficionado!* So, without further ado; I will post a pic that will make you smile. I know it's probably against the reg's, so as the old gal once said "OFF WITH HIS HEAD".* KJ

-- Edited by KJ on Saturday 1st of January 2011 08:39:17 PM

I crewed on a couple of sailboats in Hawaii--- a 36' Islander and a locally made trimaran. And I crewed for a couple of seasons on a co-workers racing sloop after moving to Seattle. And our GB came with a lovely Montgomery sailing dinghy on the aft cabin. Oh, and I directed a film shoot on the Lady Washington a few years ago.* But that's the extent of my sailing experience.

My wife, on the other hand, has only been out on a sailboat under sail one time.* But her first sailing experience pretty much blows mine and a lot of other people's out of the water.* The first time she got to go sailing was when we were invited out on the Bluenose 2.

(This boat no longer exists at present--- its hull has been fed into a wood chipper.)

Attachments

• bluenose 2.jpg
    bluenose 2.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 73
"I suppose with 3 yachts your insurance bills in Fla are pretty high."

YACHTS? GOD Forbid!

Insurance? You have to be kidding!

The trick in FL is Location, Location, Location!

We are in ORTONA near the Ortona Loock on the Caloosahatchie , about 50 miles inland from FT Myers.

This places us about 90-100 miles in from the East coast and about 50 inland from the West.

This is a created community , canals were dug 17 ft deep to get the dirt 11 ft deep for the houses to sit on.

Many are on stilts , so the wind break is grand.
WE have seen a number of named breezes in the 80K range , and 50K with a daily summer thunderstorm is too common to contemplate .

Down 10 ft from the land in the canal, with numerous houses and trees (its been 30 years ) on the land , except for the rain , a Named Storm , is a yawn.

The year we got here I built the docks , bolted & stronger than heck, to beat any new greeny edicts , to save a snail or something.

Lots of the "pioneers" that started the place in the late 70's are now gone , and property values are the lowest in 20 years ," so come on down" , IF you need a spot for your bucket .

Happily the community is still into boating , so whatever you need is in someones shop.

I have mostly wood butcher tools , but we have a welder , and an electric guy a couple of streets over, as well as a machine shop that would put most small fabrication shops to shame .

3 sailboats, 2 power boats (bow rider and current ACMY), and 2 kayaks. Current wife never took to the sailboat, hence the big power boat. The move to the dark side in addition to the admiral was probably a little age related too.

FF wrote:

"I suppose with 3 yachts your insurance bills in Fla are pretty high."

YACHTS? GOD Forbid!

Insurance? You have to be kidding!

The trick in FL is Location, Location, Location!

We are in ORTONA near the Ortona Loock on the Caloosahatchie , about 50 miles inland from FT Myers.

This places us about 90-100 miles in from the East coast and about 50 inland from the West.

This is a created community , canals were dug 17 ft deep to get the dirt 11 ft deep for the houses to sit on.

Many are on stilts , so the wind break is grand.
WE have seen a number of named breezes in the 80K range , and 50K with a daily summer thunderstorm is too common to contemplate .

Down 10 ft from the land in the canal, with numerous houses and trees (its been 30 years ) on the land , except for the rain , a Named Storm , is a yawn.

The year we got here I built the docks , bolted & stronger than heck, to beat any new greeny edicts , to save a snail or something.

Lots of the "pioneers" that started the place in the late 70's are now gone , and property values are the lowest in 20 years ," so come on down" , IF you need a spot for your bucket .

Happily the community is still into boating , so whatever you need is in someones shop.

I have mostly wood butcher tools , but we have a welder , and an electric guy a couple of streets over, as well as a machine shop that would put most small fabrication shops to shame .

Sounds like my kind of place---I love working on boats and hate competing with Goldplaters for dock space.****** JohnP

timjet wrote:

3 sailboats, 2 power boats (bow rider and current ACMY), and 2 kayaks. Current wife never took to the sailboat, hence the big power boat. The move to the dark side in addition to the admiral was probably a little age related too.
Tim,* You know what they say "A happy Wife a happy life"** JohnP

JohnP wrote:Tim,* You know what they say "A happy Wife a happy life"** JohnP
John, absolute right!!
We had looked at several older 38' Bayliners, Marine Traders, Mainships, and the like and the admiral never got excited. We bought the Carver because it was the first boat she approved of. I'm glad we spent the extra. She looks forward to using the boat. The extra money was well spent.

Not really a Trawler though!!

-- Edited by timjet on Friday 31st of December 2010 10:15:26 AM

-- Edited by timjet on Friday 31st of December 2010 10:18:13 AM

-- Edited by timjet on Friday 31st of December 2010 10:19:40 AM

I taught myself to sail on my Com-Pac 23, "Clare Marie".* She sailed like a champ in a 8 - 15 kts breeze, off the wind.* On the wind or in light, summer airs, not so much.

The Com-Pac is gone, but now I have the Flying Scott.* It's very old, 1966, hull number 850, and needs a bit of work.* A friend gave her to me. Hopefully I'll get her back together in the next few years.* She won't have any problem with the Chesapeake's light summer breezes.

Attachments

• img_0855.jpg
    img_0855.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 104-0489_img.jpg
    104-0489_img.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 53
She could indeed be fun to play around in Darrell. Nice lines......similar to our first yacht, a Tasman 20, designed by the NZer Allan Wright, who had a real eye for proportion, even in small craft.

I really enjoy sailing, even though I've never really sailed much except for the little 10' snark we have. When I bought the snark I told my wife (I was being serious by the way!) that the snark was Phase I of my overall plan to get her comfortable with sailing around the world as a family with the kids!
This site has always been inspiring to me:
http://northernmagic.com/

This page on their site describes what they did and why:
http://www.northernmagic.com/ourstory.html

-- Edited by Woodsong on Monday 3rd of January 2011 09:34:05 AM

Woodsong wrote:

I really enjoy sailing, even though I've never really sailed much except for the little 10' snark we have. When I bought the snark I told my wife (I was being serious by the way!) that the snark was Phase I of my overall plan to get her comfortable with sailing around the world as a family with the kids!
This site has always been inspiring to me:
http://northernmagic.com/

This page on their site describes what they did and why:
http://www.northernmagic.com/ourstory.html

-- Edited by Woodsong on Monday 3rd of January 2011 09:34:05 AM

This is a worthwhile dream that will take lots of effort to accomplish.

It will be very interesting to read your blog in the future and see how you managed to put it all together.** Good Luck.

-- Edited by JohnP on Monday 3rd of January 2011 01:29:34 PM

Our last sailboat - Bristol 35.5** #153**** "Yankee"

Attachments

• dsc03381-1.jpg
    dsc03381-1.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 50
Our last two sailboats.*

The first picture is of "Banana Wind"*which was*a C&C Landfall 38 on the hook at Cape Lookout.* The second is of "Banana Wind" doing a fly by on a friends Catalina 400 after tracking them down for over an hour.* Needless to say they were not happy.

The third is of out last boat a Hunter 40 tied up at the City Marina in Manteo NC.*

Attachments

• bananawind at lookout copy.jpg
    bananawind at lookout copy.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 51
  • race.jpg
    race.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 46
  • manteo22.jpg
    manteo22.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 46
We bought an Alberg 37 about 10 years ago and sailed her for for several seasons. "Marigot" was a beautiful classic sailboat with lots of teak and lovely lines. *After much discussion, we sold her a couple of years ago and moved from sail to power. *I must admit, much as I loved her, we just couldn't keep two boats. I do miss sailing but really love cruising on "Delia Rosa" and we have lots more space and a lot less work!

Attachments

• dsc00054marigot.jpg
    dsc00054marigot.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 61
  • dsc00090susanboat.jpg
    dsc00090susanboat.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 52
  • marigot sold 007.jpg
    marigot sold 007.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 57
  • marigot sold 028.jpg
    marigot sold 028.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 64
Susan,** The Alberg is a Beauty,* Sailing is not as easy, but there is something wonderful about it.* We really enjoyed our time with "Yankee" our prior boat.

Attachments

• dsc03371.jpg
    dsc03371.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 50
We have our websites for both our former sailboat Sea Trek and our current Trawler Beach House on my signature lines. We cruisied the sailboat extensively for 20 year. The Sea Trek site only covers a portion of that time, since we started way before blogs were even in existence. Chuck

Old Stone,
That is a beautiful vessel!
I still have a Douglass 32 sloop on the hard that I need to get in the water,if just for the summer.
Jon

Old Stone wrote:

Since this thread resurfaced, here are a few shots of Sea Witch.*
Very fine looking vessel, indeed.* The designers and shipwrights in the Maritimes had a fabulous sense of aesthetics and your boat is a great example of that.*

While a power cruiser makes more sense for us in our area and what we want to do with a boat, just about all of them, including GBs, are butt-ugly in our book when compared with a well-designed sailboat.* The only powerboat that comes close to meeting my sense of aesthetics and "correct design" is a lobsterboat.* A real one, like Carey's or a working lobsterboat, with the un-stepped sheerline like a sailboat.

If we didn't have work schedules to fit our boating around and fickle winds and strong currents that are either going in the wrong direction for the wind or the wrong direction for where one wants to go, we'd have a cruising sailboat in a minute.

Back in the early 80s when I was crewing on a co-workers's racing sailboat I came very close to getting a sailboat of my own.* At the time my focus was on racing, and the two boats I was considering was the Dragon class (av. 29 feet)* and the 5.5 metre class (av. 32 feet).*

(And before someone tells me that 5.5 metres equals only 18 feet, 5.5 metres is the outcome of a mathmatical formula to which the boat has to conform.)

At the time there were a number of boats in both classes in Seattle and they held weekly races in Lake Washington and in the Sound.* I even put a deposit on a slip in Lake Washington.* But as I got more and more into floatplane flying there just wasn't enough time to justify the purchase and use of a sailboat so that plan went by the wayside.

But there have been some cruising sloops on our dock in Bellingham in past years that have been absolutely gorgeous and we'd have loved to have any one of them if our winds were dependable and the currents not so strong.* The only downsides of a sailboat in our opinon are the forced exposure to the weather (or at least the temperature) in the cockpit and the small-windowed view of the world from the cabins.

But in terms of beauty on the water, sailboats can't be beat in my opinion.* "Sea Witch" must have been an absolutely delightful way to have been out on the water.

First shot is a Dragon, second shot is a 5.5.

-- Edited by Marin on Saturday 22nd of January 2011 09:03:27 PM

Attachments

• dragon.jpg
    dragon.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 5.5.jpg
    5.5.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 48

"There is more to sailing than ropes and winches,cleats and bulging sails.
There are faraway places and the ever changing light, and the silence, and a great peace at the bottom of your soul."*

*************************************************** Ferenc Mate

Looking at the pics of Ferenc Mate's boat made me boatsick for my last 'real' sailboat.* She's currently being readied to go long term cruising her new owner.* Kindly Light (1962/1998). * Dang, I wish I could go cruising again!

img_38823_0_7aff7f9a2593b322219dec1752f8f7b0.jpg

img_38823_1_1ddf2f3011d88f33ed01a91448dc243a.jpg

-- Edited by Killick on Sunday 23rd of January 2011 12:51:25 AM

If I*may*digress*

A lot of folks have admitted to getting their start in boating in sailboats (scoundrels).
More than a few have said they started in canoes.
If canoes had favorite anchorages, this would be mine.* I was fly fishing fom a hand made (Mansfield) canoe for cutthroat trout. It was taken on Waterton Lake, Glacier Nt'l Park, Montana.* The*mountains in the background are in Waterton Nat'l Park, Canada ) circa 1978.

* A different kind of therapy.******************************* KJ

-- Edited by KJ on Sunday 23rd of January 2011 04:36:07 AM

Old Stone wrote:

....but why put up with some egotistical blowhard (am being kind here) who thinks it is their right to yell and rule all those around him.

All depends on the crew of the boat.* I've crewed on just a few racing sailboat but never experienced what you describe.* It was a hell of a lot of fun for everyone on the crews I was on.* There were boats around us with screamers on them, no question, but based on my experience I sure wouldn't say this is the norm.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom