O C Diver
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
RE: Vaccume gages and filters

Quote:
Peter B wrote:

Slightly off topic, but stimulated by the pic of the big red engine (120 Lehman, same as mine) in the original post, when I went to check the engine levels and top up as required before heading out last weekend, I noticed a drip from the port end of the oil cooler/heat exchanger, and when I fired her up, two jets of water squirted out from the end join. Needless to say that kiboshed our new year short cruise to watch the fireworks etc.
I presume the gasket has gone in that end, but what are we likely to find when the diesel mechanic pulls it apart. I am preparing myself for the worst - possibly a new unit - as it looks rather corroded round that end, even tho it is bonded through attachment to the engine - or so I thought. I think the zincs were done when the main engine heat exchanger above it was re-conditioned ~ 2 yrs ago. How often should these zincs be changed....? I guess that would be a time thing, rather than an engine hours thing..?
Peter, transmission coolers have soldered end caps (no gaskets). I have had one resoldered at a radiator shop. It lasted about 3 months and then started leaking again. The lead in the solder gets eaten away just like a zinc. Removing the end cap, cleaning both surfaces and resoldering is the only way to get a good seal. Unfortunately it takes real skill to resolder it without disturbing the solder on the internal tube bundle. Buy a new one as a used one will give you no idea of the life expectancy of the solder.

Ted

O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote