Greetings from Sonoma County

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcovey cove

Vessel Make
seaswirl striper 19
Seriously considering moving up to a Trawler style boat from our current Cuddy Cabin fishing boat. Signed on to learn as much as I can about these boats prior to making a purchase. Most if not all of our boating is in San Francisco bay and its estuaries. We currently launch out of the Petaluma Marina in Northern California. Going fast is not important, but getting there in safety and comfort is. Upper San Pablo bay can be rough and windy with a strong tidal influence. Our little 19 can do the job, but its typically a rough ride on the way back.

Welcome! Any boats in mind or ones that catch your eye?

Welcome! Any boats in mind or ones that catch your eye?

Blue seas or marine trader...CHB, Mainship etc. 34-36 foot range, single diesel preferred. Pretty sure that a fiberglass hull would be my preference over wood....purely from a maintenance standpoint. I am assuming that the maintenance on a wooden hull would be greater, but that might be my ignorance showing.

Welcome aboard. You will figure it out. Just go look at as many different boats as you can. By the way you live in what must be one of my most favorite places on earth!

Welcome aboard. You will figure it out. Just go look at as many different boats as you can. By the way you live in what must be one of my most favorite places on earth!

Thanks....moved up here from San Francisco 35 years ago, no regrets..I was always a country boy at heart, so moving out of the city was a no brainer.

Thanks....moved up here from San Francisco 35 years ago, no regrets..I was always a country boy at heart, so moving out of the city was a no brainer.

Welcome to the forum, Bay Area boating is fun but I'm a bit jaded.

Welcome, Welcome, Welcome!

I suggest Tollycraft boats. I think they are great! YRMV

Happy Boat-Search Daze! - Art

Welcome aboard

Welcome! My son lives in Petaluma. We have been to the Petaluma Yacht Club. I have always wanted to go up theRiver to Petaluma.

Paul

:hello:

Several of us TFers cruise to downtown Petaluma each year. Lots of restaurants and interesting shops there.

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv362%3A3%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D3%3B4%3A7763%3B%3A336nu0mrj

Last edited:
:hello:

Several of us TFers cruise to downtown Petaluma each year. Lots of restaurants and interesting shops there.

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv362%3A3%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D3%3B4%3A7763%3B%3A336nu0mrj

Mark - Mud flat is pronounced. How many feet under your boat at that seemingly very low tide? Tide level get much lower? Thanks, Art

Welcome from yet another local.

Richard

Mark - Mud flat is pronounced. How many feet under your boat at that seemingly very low tide? Tide level get much lower? Thanks, Art

Water depths are marked along the dock. It is shallower at the western end where it is possible one will be aground aground at low tide. That pictured is about as low as it usually gets. Our boats are still afloat.

The upper reaches of the Petaluma River/slough has shallow spots. (Depths are often shallower than shown on charts.) Plowed mud once (have nearly four-foot draft) so have learned to transit within two hours of high tide.

Petaluma is a popular weekend rendezvous location for club cruise-outs, usually including good-sized sailboats with deeper draft. We go there weekdays.

Entering the turning basin:

232323232%7Ffp734%3A5%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D395646%3A2%3B5336nu0mrj

Back
Top Bottom